Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 04:32 PM

3 posts, read 10,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Most of the older homes with character are in East Dallas/Lakewood/White Rock Lake and North Oak Cliff (Kessler and Stevens Park/Winnetka). It will be tough to find homes in that range but in my area I would suggest Junius Heights Historic District (Craftsman Bunaglows) and maybe you could find a 2/1 Tudor cottage in Hollywood Heights Conservation District. They are respectively, zips 75214 and 75223. 75206 is another good place to search.We have the most historic and conservation districts in Texas. There are also a lot of really well built ranch homes from the 1940s - 1960s on pier and beam foundations with real brick fireplaces and hardwood floors. Some have Austin stone instead of brick exteriors.

Anyhow you will be within 10 minutes of everything fun to do in Dallas.

You can reach DFW easily in about 30 minutes if you go off-traffic times.
Thanks Lakewooder,
Maybe I did'nt supply enough info regarding an older home, but we will be looking for one thats been built since the 80's. We have a 3BR/2BTH now with front,rear and side neighbors. Property is 25'x100' so a 1/4 acre or slightly less would be ok, but a 1/4 to 1/2 acre would be ideal. Any advice thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 04:57 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lategreattex View Post
Dallas is #1 in pollution, #1 in crime, worst traffic (passed LA & NY), & #1 in transplants who are no longer welcome here....Do yourself and us a favor and keep looking! I hear Chicago is nice and I'm sure they have a Neimans.
IF ITS SO BAD ...WHY ARE YOU STILL HERE??

Old 10-26-2007, 08:22 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,269,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoneygrip View Post
Thanks Lakewooder,
Maybe I did'nt supply enough info regarding an older home, but we will be looking for one thats been built since the 80's. We have a 3BR/2BTH now with front,rear and side neighbors. Property is 25'x100' so a 1/4 acre or slightly less would be ok, but a 1/4 to 1/2 acre would be ideal. Any advice thanks.
Why the 80s? You do realize that most homes in East Dallas have been redone, right? They may look old on the outside, but most homes have brand new stuff on the inside.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:23 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
The 80s is old? -- Good God.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:28 PM

11 posts, read 48,578 times
Desiholla, don't listen to saleen245. Move from ny now, you'll be a new person.I grew up in the bronx ny. I left for L.A. CA. at the age of 19 "I am now 65" its the one of best things I ever did in my life, I am now considering moving to Texas with my family.

As that long forgotten person once said "GO WEST YOUNG PERSON, GO WEST" "my own words"

Old 11-05-2007, 07:52 PM

3 posts, read 10,524 times
I must sound like i'm 100 yrs old. My husband and I are in our early 40's and retired, but our home here in NY was built in 1910 and is very solid structurally. I think we became jaded toward a older home because of this.

Our home however was upgraded throughout about three years ago. So our interior style is more modern.

Please understand that going from 1500 sq.ft. (what we have now) to possibly 2500 to 4000 sq.ft. seems tremendous to us. We have looked at newer homes in Fla. (built within the last five yrs.) and found the construction to be o.k. at best, and the property the same we have here in NY minus the assoc. fees.

The newer homes just are not built like the older homes. Can you suggest where to look for homes with the following criteria:
Age:1990-2000, Sq.Ft.: 2000+, BDRMS: 3-4, BTHS: 2-3, Land/Lot: 1/4-1/2 acre, Priced between 200k-250k.

Thanks you are really a big help.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:11 PM

9 posts, read 28,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
My wife grew up in Far Rockaway, NY and the 5 Towns and then lived in Brooklyn and Manhattan for a number of years. She loves it here. I'm not sure how a self described religious person would be bothered by talk about God "every single damn day" but we're Orthodox jews and we ourselves talk about God every day. To each their own. As far as diversity goes, it's a very diverse area so again I have no idea what this person is talking about. Religously there are mostly christians here, but we live in a very Jewish neighborhood and there are also neighborhoods where lots of muslims live. Racially it is segretated along black/white lines, but here in north Dallas there are many Asians, South Asians, Latinos and others. It does get hot here in the summer but it gets hot and much more humid in NY. I do not find it unbearable and I am quite enjoying the balmy 80 degree evenings. I prefer heat myself to snow so again to each their own. Coming from Los Angeles I also don't find the traffic nearly as bad as everyone says it is. Come down and check it out and decide for yourself!
What about the severe weather, rb4browns?

Old 12-19-2007, 07:10 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saleen245 View Post
What about the severe weather, rb4browns?
I'm not sure I understand the question. "severe" is a relative term. I grew up in San Diego so anything beyond a fine misting is severe to me. If you are referring to the tornadoes you referenced in your post a while back, every place is going to have its potential natural disasters. I find the rainstorms here quite interesting (they are still a novelty for me) and it's been chilly but no snow. They tell me there are occasional ice storms. Long Island gets blizzards and nor'easters which are worse than what Dallas gets. My wife and I got married in Brooklyn in February of '06 and got stuck in the 5 towns when that big blizzard rolled in and dumped the most snow in 40 some years. So again, severe is a relative term.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:32 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
You will need a hot-air balloon to return from your various tornado travels. We all have them. Either that or ruby slippers.

You will save so much money on airfares because all your travel is free. You will see your neighbors out the window as you travel to many colorful places.

It's just so black and white here...

Old 12-20-2007, 01:14 PM

15 posts, read 53,939 times
Try 'The Village.' It is a 3 minute drive to North Park Mall, and aside from the usual break-ins experienced by major cities, etc. It is pretty nice. They have several different apartment complexes and a wide range of prices as well. Best of luck!

http://www.thevillageapts.com/index_flash.shtml?WT.srch=1&gclid=CJ6L4sLWt5ACFQSi QQodvBpUFg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas