Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 08:00 AM

10 posts, read 9,723 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are going to be relocating to the DFW area from Raleigh, NC. He will be opening up the region for a startup financial service firm geared towards the middle and upper middle class. It seems that the majority of this range of people would be living in the northern suburbs of Dallas and Fort Worth, with some also in the east of Dallas. He will eventually be opening up a central office, but until then, will be working from home. So , the question is; which city/area would have the best access to the entire metroplex area? Since we will be living there, it also needs to have good schools. We will be initially renting, and then buying in the 500K range. I was thinking west Plano or Coppell meet these criteria, but the traffic just seems unreal and I can't tell on paper if one city would be way better than another (for driving), or if I'm missing an area entirely? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 08:25 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,680,128 times
West Plano offers easy access to Dallas.I would choose Flower Mound over Plano and Coppell if I were to buy.Flower Mound is a fantastic suburb for an over $250,000 price range....

Old 11-20-2012, 08:47 AM

149 posts, read 306,861 times
Strictly for access to all other major points in the five county region (Dallas, Tarrant, Denton, Collin & Rockwall) I'd put either North Irving (Las Colinas/Valley Ranch), Coppell or Grapevine forward above other areas. Those will put you equally far away from most other significant cities and provide a good school district (though probably not the best).

Flower Mound just lacks immediate access to highways (unless you're in far west Flower Mound, which is very undeveloped), while West Plano is pretty far removed from Southern Tarrant county.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:46 PM

690 posts, read 1,729,004 times
North Irving (Las Colinas) would be the central location with easy access to the North, East, South and West. In addition, you have quick access to the airport and
it is also centrally located for recreational activities, shopping, etc.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:11 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Las Colinas, Coppell or Grapevine. Definitely not FloMo or Plano if you are including access to Fort Worth and south.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:50 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,254,649 times
West Plano and Coppel would be give you the excellent schools and access to the central part of the Metroplex. He would be close to the highways to go to Fort Worth or to Rockwall.

Naima

Old 11-20-2012, 02:09 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Farmers Branch, Coppell, Valley Ranch, & North Irving/Las Colinas.

West Plano is still considered North & I wouldn't say it offers easy access to the rest of the Metroplex.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:12 PM

38 posts, read 67,230 times
I say Coppell, West Plano or University Park.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:31 PM

931 posts, read 2,134,620 times
University Park or Highland Park if you have school age children. Easy access to Freeways and once you learn the roads that run same as freeways can be faster in peak hours. The prices there are similar to what you would pay where you live but high for Dallas.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:08 PM

10 posts, read 9,723 times
Thank you all for your help! The Park Cities area would be awesome, but above our price range and needs (I have a special needs child and will need a one story home). Looks like the Coppell (Coppell/Flower Mound/Grapevine) area is a little better for access, but West Plano wouldn't be terrible. I am also keeping my eyes out for rentals in the Coppell school district in Valley Ranch, as I'm not willing to sacrifice schools for Irving (I'll have a middle schooler next year.) So, at least I know I'm in looking in the right direction!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas