Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 09:14 PM

7,885 posts, read 11,365,143 times

Advertisements

Why the focus on the population in those two cities? There is a large population around the areas I mentioned with discretionary income onthe same order as McKinney/Allen. I am not a tennis buff but would travel that far for the right retail establishment.

One additional project I will mention. A 425 acre retail development is under construction just south of 121 between Plano Parkway and Spring Creek exits. The project is anchored by what will be one of the largest if not the largest furniture outlet in the country....backed by Nebraska Furniture Mart, which is owned in part by Warren Buffet. My point is significant retail activity will erupt along this corridor with a 2015 opening of the half million sf showroom and 1 M sf attached warehouse. You can see the development activity now as this location was ranch land but not is getting roads and infrastructure at a rapid pace.

Search on the description below for the specifics of this project. I couldnt figure out how to attach it as a link.

Nebraska Furniture Mart breaks ground on Texas store - Dallas Business Journal

Last edited by Johnhw2; 11-24-2012 at 09:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 10:18 PM

18 posts, read 29,767 times
Point very well taken...Say I open in West Plano, I could service the Mckinney/Frisco/Allen area as well as other southern areas (greater pull). Thanks for the insight into the new shopping area. I will check it out.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun_dance View Post
Point very well taken...Say I open in West Plano, I could service the Mckinney/Frisco/Allen area as well as other southern areas (greater pull). Thanks for the insight into the new shopping area. I will check it out.
You are welcome and do check it out, I believe it can be a game/traffic pull changer.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:05 PM

What about opening the business near Trader Joe's in West plano? Seems like that shopping area does very well. I am sure many people frequent the Preston Towne area weekly for TJs and Whole Foods. Any thoughts?

Old 11-26-2012, 08:44 PM

Do people from Mckinney/Allen come to West Plano for Trader Joe's?

Old 11-27-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Do people from Mckinney/Allen come to West Plano for Trader Joe's?
I live half a mile from TJ's in W.Plano. TJ's is a destination type retail establishment much like you expect your tennis retail outlet to be. Being close to TJ's makes some sense on the surface to me as it did to you. I believe people come to TJ's from not just the two cities you listed but many more cities. One thing to consider though is TJ may open additional retail locations in DFW if customeer demand stays high like it is now, so the draw from distance cities would diminish if they do. Secondly for some reason the retail along Preston in W. Plano seems to struggle in my view..... the shopping center TJ's is in sees more crowd now but one north of this one along the West Side of Preston near lakeside has a lot of empty shops....although some new ones have opened. I am at a loss to explain what appears to be lower demand for retail in this sector unless it is an over built retail location....with the Frisco Stonebridge mall etc.

Zoning tends to assume too much retail/commercial land uses in my view by ignoring what neighboring jurisdictions might do..... just another flaw in human management of growth rather than letting the market determine land uses as the out lier Houston does......although the zoned cities are more attractive and easier to get around in from my Houston/NNJ/Plano experiences

Old 11-27-2012, 07:18 PM

3,812 posts, read 4,411,996 times
Interesting question. Now I'm not a market researcher so take my thoughts with a grain of salt. First off, I would think tennis is an expensive sport, when you take into account buying good quality rackets, as well as having access to tennis courts. This means that it is geared towards affluent middle to upper class families. Collin County has WAY more of these than anywhere in Tarrant County. So that answers your first question.

Second, where in Collin County? My observation is that you can really split Collin County down the middle, the part of Collin County around the tollway (West Plano, Frisco, Prosper, and while they are not in Collin County, include Addison, Castle Hills, Lewisville and Carrolton). The other part of Collin County is based around 75 (East Plano, Richardson, Allen, McKinney, Murphy and Wylie). Generally speaking, the two dont mix that often. People I know in Frisco rarely come over to Allen or Wylie, at least not for casual retail shopping that they could easily find on their side of the county, and vice versa. Living in Wylie, I dont go to Stonebriar Mall for anything. Dont need to. Have the outlets, Village of Fairview/Allen and Firewheel within 15 minutes drive without getting on a highway/tollway. Why spend well over 35 minutes racking up tolls just to go to Frisco? makes no sense.

So, I think you would have to choose between the two halves of Collin County. My two cents, go with the tollway area. Frisco is probably the fastest growing suburb when talking where middle to upper class families want to live. West Plano is still the wealthiest part of Collin County period. While Allen is wealthy, it's much smaller than either Frisco or Plano and is almost built out. McKinney is still growing, but I think there is a growing gap in the wealth between McKinney and Frisco. Again, I'm no expert but that's my two cents.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:04 PM

Thank you for the thoughtful response. Do you travel from Wylie to West Plano for Trader Joe's of Whole Foods ever? Do you know neighbors or friends that do? What is the travel time during non-commute hours? Do you think people from Frisco would pay the toll and come down to West Plano to shop at a destination store they really enjoy and don't have in Frisco?

Old 11-28-2012, 08:40 AM

3,812 posts, read 4,411,996 times
Quote:
Thank you for the thoughtful response. Do you travel from Wylie to West Plano for Trader Joe's of Whole Foods ever? Do you know neighbors or friends that do? What is the travel time during non-commute hours? Do you think people from Frisco would pay the toll and come down to West Plano to shop at a destination store they really enjoy and don't have in Frisco?

Will people drive from Frisco to West Plano? Absolutely. Frisco to West Plano on the tollway on a weekend would be under 15 minutes, maybe even 10 minutes. Easy drive. From Wylie, you would have to come down 78 to George Bush to the Tollway. Much longer drive. Now if I was a die hard tennis buff, then perhaps I make that drive regularly, but I suspect the majority of your customer base would not be hard core tennis fans who are willing to drive that far on a regular basis. So your store would have to be very conveniently located, and that will only work for either half of Collin County, not really for both. Just my two cents.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:29 PM

Thanks for the insight on Collin County. The location I am looking for is a destination area and I will keep in mind picturing the county as two areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas