Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 02:49 PM

167 posts, read 331,709 times

Advertisements

May I ask, what is it about Flowermound that attracts you? One of the perks is proximity to Lake Grapevine. But if you work in Dallas, you'll be prolonging your commute. Depending on your budget, you might also want to look at Southlake and Colleyville. I agree with BigGeek, that most of the Indians will be in Valley Ranch, Coppell, Plano area. But the schools are not good in Valley Ranch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 02:54 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancymom View Post
I am curious to know how Flower Mound not being very diverse affects lifestyle. I am particularly interested in Flower Mound or the nearby area.
Flower Mound is not diverse at all.

You have to decide if living in a diverse area is important. There are many diverse of the Dallas area. Plano and Irving have huge Indian communities as well as all kinds of other nationalities. Richardson, Garland, Carrollton, and Euless are also very diverse places. Other cities like Allen, Coppell, and Wylie are in a process of diversifying but arent quite there yet.

The Indian community in the DFW area is the 6th largest in the US after NYC, the Bay Area, Chicago, DC, and Los Angeles. There is literally no Desi ammenity you cannot get here. The Indian community has their own radio stations, their own strip malls, resturants, clothing stores, houses of worship for every religion, etc.

So just because Flower Mound isnt diverse does not mean the whole area is not. On the contrary, its very diverse. It may not be on the level of the Bay Area, but really no other place is. I came from Los Angeles and Im not white myself. If it was just one big white bread metro area, I would never live here.

If a large Indian community is important, look at North Plano (Russell Creek area) or Valley Ranch in Irving.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:59 PM

24 posts, read 60,127 times
BabyDoctor77, I am considering for a job there. Unless the commute from Plano to Flower Mound is not bad, I don't mind living in Plano. Do you know about the traffic around work hours between Plano and Flower Mound?

Old 11-26-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
The question doesn't make sense to me.
I guess I am trying to know if there is any sort of racial discrimination if at all....

Old 11-26-2012, 03:13 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,091 times
I moved from the Bay Area to DFW almost 18 years ago. I still have relatives in Napa.

The big differences were:

1. No income tax.
2. Hotter in TX.
3. Local and state government much more efficient.
4. Better traffic in DFW area.

Changes since then.

1. TX has far less crime and police do not blame you if you call them about an incident.

On a visit last year, I saw an older professional couple assaulted in Golden Gate Park in broad daylight and I intervened, putting one attacker in the dirt. The bangers ran off. Even with a half dozen witnesses, the SFPD officer said that I may have "escalated" and used used "excessive" force. It took me (and the couple) an hour to get through the aggressive Q&A with the officers.

Not more than a month later I clothes-lined a purse snatcher on a DART platform then put him in a chokehold. The two responding DPD officers thanked me and took the suspect and I was free to go. About ten seconds and no Q&A. About 8 years before that I joined a foot chase to catch a handcuffed human trafficker with the same results. Lots of thanks and no Q&A.

2. I can walk around the American Airlines center during a Mavs game with a black woman on my arm and its no big deal. I would not do that in the Bay Area again.

3. Many more jobs, healthy real estate market, similar racial diversity. (DFW is #3 in the nation now.)

4. Greater tolerance for differences in opinion. Willingness to try new things to solve problems.

TX had its financial crisis during the S&L and Oil crash of the early 80s, tort claims crisis, and then the telecom bust of the late 90s. That was a very painful time. The governments learned from it.

It also picked a different direction to deal with the huge influx of Mexicans by funding schools properly and then holding them accountable while making sure people came here to work. If you look at the test scores for Mexicans in the Tier 2 school districts, they are the same or better than whites.

5. Texas is poised for a huge increase in growth due to oil export ramping up, tech investments, Panama Canal widening, and the further integration of Mexico/US economies plus the much more efficient public sector.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I guess I am trying to know if there is any sort of racial discrimination if at all....
Even in a place thats less than diverse like Flower Mound, that should be the least of your concerns.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:31 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,091 times
Quote:
There is more the other way. Ie, Indian dads not wanting their kids to date outside of their race.

Although that is changing. Prior to getting married, I had a couple of coworkers from India try to match me with their sisters. I have so many Diwali invitations I have to turn most of them down.

North Texas is very diverse. Its now the #3 most diverse large metro area behind San Fran and NYC.

The largest groups are Indians, Chinese, Mexicans, Anglos, Blacks, Vietnamese, Koreans, Thai, Filipino, Lebanese Christian, Israelis, Samoans, etc. There is a large expat group from most of the EU nations, too.

Another way to look at it is that I manage IT groups for a living. About 35% of those I hire are Indians. Two of my top three managers are Indian men and the trainee to be my assistant is an Indian woman.

Your most diverse area will be in and along the triangle formed by McKinney to DFW to Richardson. 121, PGBT, and US 75. Flower Mound is on the edge of that area.

As for Flower Mound. Take a look at this page at the list of National Merit winners this year at FMHS. You can look at the faces and/or the names to see how diverse these kids are.

Flower Mound High School

Flower Mound itself is more politically liberal than many of the other towns in the area. But most of that tends to be environmental causes. But it is also tolerant or more so than any of the North Texas Suburbs.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
There is more the other way. Ie, Indian dads not wanting their kids to date outside of their race.

Although that is changing. Prior to getting married, I had a couple of coworkers from India try to match me with their sisters. I have so many Diwali invitations I have to turn most of them down.

North Texas is very diverse. Its now the #3 most diverse large metro area behind San Fran and NYC.

The largest groups are Indians, Chinese, Mexicans, Anglos, Blacks, Vietnamese, Koreans, Thai, Filipino, Lebanese Christian, Israelis, Samoans, etc. There is a large expat group from most of the EU nations, too.

Another way to look at it is that I manage IT groups for a living. About 35% of those I hire are Indians. Two of my top three managers are Indian men and the trainee to be my assistant is an Indian woman.

Your most diverse area will be in and along the triangle formed by McKinney to DFW to Richardson. 121, PGBT, and US 75. Flower Mound is on the edge of that area.

As for Flower Mound. Take a look at this page at the list of National Merit winners this year at FMHS. You can look at the faces and/or the names to see how diverse these kids are.

Flower Mound High School

Flower Mound itself is more politically liberal than many of the other towns in the area. But most of that tends to be environmental causes. But it is also tolerant or more so than any of the North Texas Suburbs.
Statistically, its actually 6th after the Bay Area, Washington DC, LA, Houston, and NYC, but the rest of the post is spot on!

There was a very large Diwali celebration here this month:

http://www.nbcdfw.com/the-scene/even...179706761.html

Last edited by Cowboys fan in Houston; 11-26-2012 at 03:47 PM..

Old 11-26-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I moved from the Bay Area to DFW almost 18 years ago. I still have relatives in Napa.

The big differences were:

1. No income tax.
2. Hotter in TX.
3. Local and state government much more efficient.
4. Better traffic in DFW area.

Changes since then.

1. TX has far less crime and police do not blame you if you call them about an incident.

On a visit last year, I saw an older professional couple assaulted in Golden Gate Park in broad daylight and I intervened, putting one attacker in the dirt. The bangers ran off. Even with a half dozen witnesses, the SFPD officer said that I may have "escalated" and used used "excessive" force. It took me (and the couple) an hour to get through the aggressive Q&A with the officers.

Not more than a month later I clothes-lined a purse snatcher on a DART platform then put him in a chokehold. The two responding DPD officers thanked me and took the suspect and I was free to go. About ten seconds and no Q&A. About 8 years before that I joined a foot chase to catch a handcuffed human trafficker with the same results. Lots of thanks and no Q&A.

2. I can walk around the American Airlines center during a Mavs game with a black woman on my arm and its no big deal. I would not do that in the Bay Area again.

3. Many more jobs, healthy real estate market, similar racial diversity. (DFW is #3 in the nation now.)

4. Greater tolerance for differences in opinion. Willingness to try new things to solve problems.

TX had its financial crisis during the S&L and Oil crash of the early 80s, tort claims crisis, and then the telecom bust of the late 90s. That was a very painful time. The governments learned from it.

It also picked a different direction to deal with the huge influx of Mexicans by funding schools properly and then holding them accountable while making sure people came here to work. If you look at the test scores for Mexicans in the Tier 2 school districts, they are the same or better than whites.

5. Texas is poised for a huge increase in growth due to oil export ramping up, tech investments, Panama Canal widening, and the further integration of Mexico/US economies plus the much more efficient public sector.
Thanks. This is helpful. I do know of a friend living in Fremont, CA whose car was broken in and he called the police. They refused to write a complaint citing lack of resources.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:

Flower Mound High School

Thanks; this information is useful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas