Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2012, 02:50 PM

7 posts, read 46,865 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are probably moving to Texas because of company transfer from UK. I would like to understand what is considered as a good salary in Plano. This is so that we can analyse whether it would be the right decision for us. We are a family of 4 with 2 young children - 6 year and 1 year old. If we want to live around Plano, what should be the household income to lead a good life, if not a very lavish one.
Thanks.

Last edited by USMove; 11-26-2012 at 02:52 PM.. Reason: Missed punctuation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 03:03 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Plano is a HUGE suburb! Do you know where in Plano the office is? The average Plano home price overall is around $200k, but in West Plano you'd be hard-pressed to find a house that cheap (avg price closer to $400-600k) while in East Plano you can find homes around $100k. Amenities such as shopping, schools, crime, age of home, highway access, etc also vary greatly from one part of Plano to the next.

It's hard to give you an income range without knowing your lifestyle expectations. An income around $80k would be plenty to buy an "average" Plano home, but if you want to live in a place like WillowBend in West Plano, you'd want an income in the $200k+ range. It depends on so many factors!

Old 11-26-2012, 03:33 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,614 times
What profession are you in?

Old 11-26-2012, 09:44 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times
Are you a two wage earner family? With a household income of $100k, you can live in Plano, even in West Plano. The entire area from US75 to Preston Road, between Plano Pkwy and Legacy has plenty of homes in the 2-300k range, very affordable with a 100k hh income.

Further west than Preston Rd though, $400k and up homes are the norm, some in the millions.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:56 PM

My hubby's office would be in 75075 Zip code. Thanks for all the information though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Plano is a HUGE suburb! Do you know where in Plano the office is? The average Plano home price overall is around $200k, but in West Plano you'd be hard-pressed to find a house that cheap (avg price closer to $400-600k) while in East Plano you can find homes around $100k. Amenities such as shopping, schools, crime, age of home, highway access, etc also vary greatly from one part of Plano to the next.

It's hard to give you an income range without knowing your lifestyle expectations. An income around $80k would be plenty to buy an "average" Plano home, but if you want to live in a place like WillowBend in West Plano, you'd want an income in the $200k+ range. It depends on so many factors!

Old 11-27-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
What profession are you in?
Well, my hubby's is into Telecom. But I would have to quit my job here in UK and search there afresh as a Financial IT person. So at the moment it would be just one person earning.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Are you a two wage earner family? With a household income of $100k, you can live in Plano, even in West Plano. The entire area from US75 to Preston Road, between Plano Pkwy and Legacy has plenty of homes in the 2-300k range, very affordable with a 100k hh income.

Further west than Preston Rd though, $400k and up homes are the norm, some in the millions.
Thanks for all the information, MckinneyOwnr. To start with, we will be only a single earner family as I will have to quit my job here in UK and look for something near Plano after we move.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:05 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,404,424 times
75075 is south central Plano basically between Coit Road and Custer Road to the east/west and maybe Park Blvd to the North and PGB Tollway to the south. Older homes, but on larger lots than many other parts of the city (.25 of an acre vs .10). They are also very affordable in general (get a perfectly good home starting about $200k)and schools are close by. If I were you, I'd buy in that zipcode and bike or walk to work. West Plano (the nicer part of town) is a 10 minute drive to the west. Central Expressway towards downtown Dallas is a 5 minute drive to the east. DFW airport is a half hour away in regular traffic.

If you are considering renting, I'm not very impressed with Plano apartments in that zipcode, but they are building several new complexes nearby that look better so maybe by the time you get here they will be done.

As far as telecom, AT&T, Alcatel-Lucent, Techtronix, Dell, and some others have offices in that same zipcode, and the Richardson telecom corredor is close by (but a surprisingly long commute timewise in traffic).

The downsides are that that restaurant choices in the neighborhood aren't the best (but access to better ones is very good), that the ranch house subdivisions are all very samey, and that the nearby stripmalls are horribly ugly.

The high school is Vines, the closest middle school seems to be named after a lady in the band Heart

That's my opinion after living in that zipcode for 4 years. My kids aren't old enough to attend school yet, so someone else will have to say if they are good or not.

Last edited by TheOverdog; 11-27-2012 at 03:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas