Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 09:24 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,086,670 times

Advertisements

Given what the OP says they want, I don't think Plano is a good fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 11:19 AM

5,249 posts, read 6,334,527 times
Quote:
Ever been to the arbor hills nature preserve?
I just looked it up on google maps and there ain't no lake or river there. I see one small pond next to "Pond Trail".

Quote:
rangers ballpark is only a 30-40 minute drive which isnt too bad.
Even if you take the tollway, the only way you are getting to the Rangers park in 30-40 mins is at 100mph. Even if it was an hour, that's still doable, but if baseball is something you like, why live that physically far from the park? The OP said she doesn't like bars and drinking but everyone kept suggesting the Shops at Legacy. That's just not a good fit in my opinion. If she said she wanted good schools, comparatively low taxes for DFW, and a good family environment, then yeah, Plano is great. But that wasn't her criteria.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:20 PM

281 posts, read 640,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I just looked it up on google maps and there ain't no lake or river there. I see one small pond next to "Pond Trail".

Even if you take the tollway, the only way you are getting to the Rangers park in 30-40 mins is at 100mph. Even if it was an hour, that's still doable, but if baseball is something you like, why live that physically far from the park? The OP said she doesn't like bars and drinking but everyone kept suggesting the Shops at Legacy. That's just not a good fit in my opinion. If she said she wanted good schools, comparatively low taxes for DFW, and a good family environment, then yeah, Plano is great. But that wasn't her criteria.
^ This is true... and thank you. I don't care about schools but I do like an area that is clean, friendly, and well maintained. I dont' want to sound like a snob but I'm the type who likes to live in the affordable nice apartments in the ritzy parts of town, just to enjoy the nice things even though I cannot afford a house there. What I wouldn't like, however, is an area where all you see is Lexus driving mothers toting their kids around either (nothing against them lol) I guess the best bet is to visit a few times and really spend some times in the different neighborhoods. Lakewood sounds like a good place to start! Of course, as everyone points out will all depend on where my job is!

Old 12-07-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXred View Post
^ This is true... and thank you. I don't care about schools but I do like an area that is clean, friendly, and well maintained. I dont' want to sound like a snob but I'm the type who likes to live in the affordable nice apartments in the ritzy parts of town, just to enjoy the nice things even though I cannot afford a house there. What I wouldn't like, however, is an area where all you see is Lexus driving mothers toting their kids around either (nothing against them lol) I guess the best bet is to visit a few times and really spend some times in the different neighborhoods. Lakewood sounds like a good place to start! Of course, as everyone points out will all depend on where my job is!
There are quite a lot of Lexus jockeys in Lakewood; the increasing affluence and high price of real estate there is driving that. As much as Lakewood residents like to think of themselves as being different (and they may be), they can't control who moves into their area. If someone is affluent, drives a Lexus, and wants to live in Lakewood...they will! And many do.

Ritzy parts of town are going to have a lot of SAHMs driving expensive cars. That's just how it works here. You'll see it more in the Park Cities and Preston Hollow, and to a lesser extent west Plano.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:31 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,101,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
There are quite a lot of Lexus jockeys in Lakewood; the increasing affluence and high price of real estate there is driving that. As much as Lakewood residents like to think of themselves as being different (and they may be), they can't control who moves into their area. If someone is affluent, drives a Lexus, and wants to live in Lakewood...they will! And many do.

Ritzy parts of town are going to have a lot of SAHMs driving expensive cars. That's just how it works here. You'll see it more in the Park Cities and Preston Hollow, and to a lesser extent west Plano.
Yea, Lexus and BMW seem to be the two "must buy" brands in DFW!! Driving a foreign luxury car doesn't indicate "snobs" or "SAHM's toting kids" - if it did, what seems like half of North Dallas / Uptown/ East Dallas/ Collin County would be guilty!

And you don't see as much in W Plano because the tennis trophy wives drive Hummers there

Old 12-07-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:

Funny, earlier I looked at apartments in Lakewood, they are several hundred dollars more than West Plano!!! Like I said, I guess I'll have to do a lot of exploring and just see how the different areas "feel" to me.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Yea, Lexus and BMW seem to be the two "must buy" brands in DFW!! Driving a foreign luxury car doesn't indicate "snobs" or "SAHM's toting kids" - if it did, what seems like half of North Dallas / Uptown/ East Dallas/ Collin County would be guilty!

And you don't see as much in W Plano because the tennis trophy wives drive Hummers there
Didn't say it did, but well-heeled SAHMs almost always drive a foreign luxury car. I'm single, childless, work for a living, and drive a Hyundai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXred View Post
Funny, earlier I looked at apartments in Lakewood, they are several hundred dollars more than West Plano!!! Like I said, I guess I'll have to do a lot of exploring and just see how the different areas "feel" to me.
That's weird. Then again, there are a lot more apts in Plano than in Lakewood. Could be the price is being more driven by supply.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Didn't say it did, but well-heeled SAHMs almost always drive a foreign luxury car. I'm single, childless, work for a living, and drive a Hyundai.

That's weird. Then again, there are a lot more apts in Plano than in Lakewood. Could be the price is being more driven by supply.
Could be...not too many to choose from in Lakewood I noticed, about 4 or 5 compared to 2 or 3 on every block in Plano. But I love the idea of being right next to the lake!

Old 12-08-2012, 11:15 PM

27 posts, read 52,997 times
TXRed,

I cannot begin to tell you how much we sound alike! I just moved back to Dallas and I'm 48 (although most people mistake me for mid-late 30s tops, yay! Lol). I am single and no kids. I also was born in Dallas. My parents moved us from Carrollton in 1973 when I was 8. They moved us all around the country then back to Dallas in 1977 and we lived in Plano. We left again in 1978 when I was 14 and I just moved here 6 weeks ago. I have lived everywhere. I was just in Phoenix for the last 16 years (lived there twice as a kid too). I left for psychological reasons (ie broken relationship with a guy that wrecked me extensively for several reasons). I just quit my job and left my house vacant and moved.

I'm currently in a temporary apartment in N Dallas/S Farmers Branch. I do not want to stay in apt, I cannot wait to buy another house. Thankfully my house got a firm offer after 22 days in Phoenix on the market and should close by the end of the year. My plan is to have a house by June.

I too am wondering where to live for good. And since I want a house again, I am desperate to pick the right place. Like you I have always lived in suburbs not actual cities. I like parts of Keller, Southlake, Colleyville all in Tarrant Co and Carrollton and Addison over closer here to Dallas. Our old home in Carrollton is in the older area. I cannot believe how much it has grown!!! However living here just 6 weeks, I do see what people are talking about regarding living in Dallas proper. Lakewood and Turtle Creek are beautiful. And the area I also like is Preston Hollow. I have been driving to the Whole Foods and Central Market both near Preston and Forest roads. I also have college friends who love off Spring Valley in the Richardson school district but their actual house is in Dallas proper. The city limits seem to go in and out. The only place I have owned a home is in a small suburb of Phoenix that is like part of Scottsdale, and that's the suburb I lived in twice as a kid. So that's all I have to compare it to as prior to that was college life or the late 20s early 30s life which is so different for my life now.

I am also not a big club person and I'm pretty boring lol. But I too have no family left here, only relatives are in Fredericksburg and Port Arthur. I do have my one set of college friends here but they have two high school daughters so I never see them. I have been to a couple meet up groups. There is a good one called the Night Owls and its listed as 40+ in north Dallas. But everything they do is in Frisco and I do not want to live that far north. I am a pharmacist and just got a temp assignment in Grand Prairie that may turn permanent. I start Monday 12/10 so I will know more soon. I thought initially about living in Irving just bc it is central and I may be commuting to both sides of the metroplex as I might be staying with the temp assignment work.

When are you planning on moving? And coming from Nevada like me coming from Phoenix, I have been having to get used to the humidity. Wow! My hair is like three times its normal size lol! I keep putting it in a ponytail. And it's nt even the summer humidity yet! I'm also preparing for the shock of the cold front coming through. It's going to be 70F tomorrow then a high of 48F on Monday. Wtf!! Lol. I left when I was so young so I don't remember a lot about the weather here. All I know is since 1996 I have been in no humidity and tons of heat so getting used to the moisture and the cold is taking some getting used to. Oh and the daylight savings time! AZ doesn't have that nor did my college in Indiana at the time, so getting used to this changing your clock thing is another minor glitch in my move here.

I don't even know why I actually came back to Dallas. I reckon cause I was born here and I'm a third generation Texan. It's DNA. It's in the blood. When I realized I had to leave my very first thought was Texas. And now I'm applying for my native Texan license plate. Whee!

Good luck on your move and any of us in our 40s and single, lets meet up!! :-)

Cheri

Old 12-08-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherilynn64 View Post
TXRed,

I cannot begin to tell you how much we sound alike! I just moved back to Dallas and I'm 48 (although most people mistake me for mid-late 30s tops, yay! Lol). I am single and no kids. I also was born in Dallas. My parents moved us from Carrollton in 1973 when I was 8. They moved us all around the country then back to Dallas in 1977 and we lived in Plano. We left again in 1978 when I was 14 and I just moved here 6 weeks ago. I have lived everywhere. I was just in Phoenix for the last 16 years (lived there twice as a kid too). I left for psychological reasons (ie broken relationship with a guy that wrecked me extensively for several reasons). I just quit my job and left my house vacant and moved.

I'm currently in a temporary apartment in N Dallas/S Farmers Branch. I do not want to stay in apt, I cannot wait to buy another house. Thankfully my house got a firm offer after 22 days in Phoenix on the market and should close by the end of the year. My plan is to have a house by June.

I too am wondering where to live for good. And since I want a house again, I am desperate to pick the right place. Like you I have always lived in suburbs not actual cities. I like parts of Keller, Southlake, Colleyville all in Tarrant Co and Carrollton and Addison over closer here to Dallas. Our old home in Carrollton is in the older area. I cannot believe how much it has grown!!! However living here just 6 weeks, I do see what people are talking about regarding living in Dallas proper. Lakewood and Turtle Creek are beautiful. And the area I also like is Preston Hollow. I have been driving to the Whole Foods and Central Market both near Preston and Forest roads. I also have college friends who love off Spring Valley in the Richardson school district but their actual house is in Dallas proper. The city limits seem to go in and out. The only place I have owned a home is in a small suburb of Phoenix that is like part of Scottsdale, and that's the suburb I lived in twice as a kid. So that's all I have to compare it to as prior to that was college life or the late 20s early 30s life which is so different for my life now.

I am also not a big club person and I'm pretty boring lol. But I too have no family left here, only relatives are in Fredericksburg and Port Arthur. I do have my one set of college friends here but they have two high school daughters so I never see them. I have been to a couple meet up groups. There is a good one called the Night Owls and its listed as 40+ in north Dallas. But everything they do is in Frisco and I do not want to live that far north. I am a pharmacist and just got a temp assignment in Grand Prairie that may turn permanent. I start Monday 12/10 so I will know more soon. I thought initially about living in Irving just bc it is central and I may be commuting to both sides of the metroplex as I might be staying with the temp assignment work.

When are you planning on moving? And coming from Nevada like me coming from Phoenix, I have been having to get used to the humidity. Wow! My hair is like three times its normal size lol! I keep putting it in a ponytail. And it's nt even the summer humidity yet! I'm also preparing for the shock of the cold front coming through. It's going to be 70F tomorrow then a high of 48F on Monday. Wtf!! Lol. I left when I was so young so I don't remember a lot about the weather here. All I know is since 1996 I have been in no humidity and tons of heat so getting used to the moisture and the cold is taking some getting used to. Oh and the daylight savings time! AZ doesn't have that nor did my college in Indiana at the time, so getting used to this changing your clock thing is another minor glitch in my move here.

I don't even know why I actually came back to Dallas. I reckon cause I was born here and I'm a third generation Texan. It's DNA. It's in the blood. When I realized I had to leave my very first thought was Texas. And now I'm applying for my native Texan license plate. Whee!

Good luck on your move and any of us in our 40s and single, lets meet up!! :-)

Cheri
Similar story here; born and raised in Dallas, moved back after 18 years of living elsewhere. Do you have to be in your 40s to join your clique? I'm 37, that's darn close!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: