Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 12:04 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth2003 View Post
Some of them are, but some up in that area are not what they were, at least that was the case 5 years ago when I ocassionally booked a sitting there. Still my overall poimnt is that Dallas is short of that kind of housoing, and it would be nice to see some of that be a focus in city funded/assisted mixed use developments.

It does seem odd. I think it has to do with visibility from the Hwy. My BIL who used to be in management at Best buy said when they moved out of the underground bunker under the old Toys R US, they never considered that corner, because the Walnut Hill facing buildings weren't visible at all when Southbound, or visible when Northbound until you had passed the exit ramp. A minor thing, but with so much real estate in the area(Park, Meadow, Etc) it is probably enough to dissuade people from that exact spot.
Good point about housing in Dallas, and I agree; it seems like the city is bent on ridding itself of its middle class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Lots of tolls just to check it out. 121 is expensive to drive on.
I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 12:12 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
The NW corner of that is rumored to be a Trader Joe's but I haven't seen any progress on that site in a long time; it's been empty for quite a while. The Dave and Buster's at the NE corner just moved across the street to the SE corner, so the NE corner is even more dead now with a D&B corpse and a Kroger corpse. I don't understand why that corner is so freaking dead, it's prime real estate.
I know. It's crazy. Spec's on the southeast side, where the old Toys R Us was, is happening though! I think the place (Midtown) I was talking about is along Meadow, couldn't remember exactly where but they tore down more apts there and I think they were planning on another medical park. They did some nice landscaping along Meadow and the area looks much nicer, but no buildings? Still hoping for that Trader Joe's! I keep wondering if there are plans to demolish that shopping center where the Kroger corpse and D&B corpse are, and maybe that's who nobody ever took over that Kroger store? The only business that I can think of that I actually use in there is Leslie's Pool Supplies. Without D&B it's going to be about 90% dead.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
^ Back in the day on NE coner of Walunt Hill and Central there was Flannigan's disco, Magoo's, etc...it was all so 'North Dallas'.

I remember when Valley View was only the Sears store when LBJ was still under construction. Everyone thought they were nuts to build so far north...and indeed that area and beyond was known as "Far North Dallas".

Mid- ? Midway to Oklahoma?
I remember that, as well! I have vague memories late 60s into the early 70s, growing up around Forest and Inwood area (so far "out" my mother was angry with my dad for buying there!). My dad would suggest a Sunday drive in the country. I think it must have been around Alpha or so, but my memory is foggy as I was young. We didn't have to get on a highway, just drive 10 minutes or so and we were in the country.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I know. It's crazy. Spec's on the southeast side, where the old Toys R Us was, is happening though! I think the place (Midtown) I was talking about is along Meadow, couldn't remember exactly where but they tore down more apts there and I think they were planning on another medical park. They did some nice landscaping along Meadow and the area looks much nicer, but no buildings? Still hoping for that Trader Joe's! I keep wondering if there are plans to demolish that shopping center where the Kroger corpse and D&B corpse are, and maybe that's who nobody ever took over that Kroger store? The only business that I can think of that I actually use in there is Leslie's Pool Supplies. Without D&B it's going to be about 90% dead.
I haven't been to Spec's but I hear it's a real adventure.

I hope they do something with the north side of Walnut Hill between 75 and the DART rail; it's a real shame to see prime real estate just sitting there doing nothing.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:16 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I remember that, as well! I have vague memories late 60s into the early 70s, growing up around Forest and Inwood area (so far "out" my mother was angry with my dad for buying there!). My dad would suggest a Sunday drive in the country. I think it must have been around Alpha or so, but my memory is foggy as I was young. We didn't have to get on a highway, just drive 10 minutes or so and we were in the country.
I also remember when Forest Lane was a two-lane black top country road in the late 60s (really it was in the city by then but they took a long time in widening it).

The people who bought land to the north or already owned some really cleaned up...I remember when the Byron Nelson moved to Preston Trail and everyone thought that was the edge of the earth...just country blinking lights, no stop lights that far out...I remember cruising out there in high school and we turned around just north of that as there was nothing else to see...

Old 12-06-2012, 02:40 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,281 times
Midtown? Can't they coin a new name like Upmost Village, Uptown Heights, Northtown Gardens, Northside Place, Upper Place, Northtown, Summitown, North Edge, UpEnd

Old 12-06-2012, 02:44 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Well, we already had "Northtown Mall"...

Old 12-06-2012, 05:05 PM

990 posts, read 2,303,464 times
Quote:

I hope they do something with the north side of Walnut Hill between 75 and the DART rail; it's a real shame to see prime real estate just sitting there doing nothing.
There's already a huge development planned there if you mean the west side of central. Soil samples are being collected right now.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
There's already a huge development planned there if you mean the west side of central. Soil samples are being collected right now.
I know the west side of Central is supposed to be a Trader Joe's eventually; I'm talking about the east side.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:

Spec's is great. Like Disney World for adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas