U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 07:59 PM

5,725 posts, read 8,198,335 times

Advertisements

Minyard once had a huge foot print across the DFW area. The chain once had 80+ stores under 3 different brands (Sack N' Save, Carnival, and Minyard) It was the 3rd largest grocery store chain in DFW. The Minyard Family sold the chain in 2004 and by 2008 37 stores were sold to Fiesta. Last year RLS Supermarkets bought the 10 remaining stores. This year Minyard opened 3 new stores, those being in Waxahachie, West Dallas, and Duncanville.

Do you think Minyard can become the large chain it once was?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 10:56 PM

24,571 posts, read 35,632,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Minyard once had a huge foot print across the DFW area. The chain once had 80+ stores under 3 different brands (Sack N' Save, Carnival, and Minyard) It was the 3rd largest grocery store chain in DFW. The Minyard Family sold the chain in 2004 and by 2008 37 stores were sold to Fiesta. Last year RLS Supermarkets bought the 10 remaining stores. This year Minyard opened 3 new stores, those being in Waxahachie, West Dallas, and Duncanville.

Do you think Minyard can become the large chain it once was?
No, Minyard sucked. If another grocery store wants to be a big player in DFW, I want it to be HEB or Publix.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:28 PM

1,596 posts, read 3,612,792 times
The DFW grocery market has become highly competitive and fragmented as more companies continue to open stores here, so I don't think that Minyards has a chance of returning to the days when it was a major chain. I believe that it will continue to maintain a small presence in the area, however.

BTW, Minyards has been in Lancaster since 1959 (at various locations) and is still one of the primary grocery stores here.

Last edited by Acntx; 12-05-2012 at 11:52 PM..

Old 12-05-2012, 11:57 PM

8,058 posts, read 10,936,238 times
I can't think of a single Minyard location anywhere in Collin County. I wasn't impressed with them back in the 80s when I was in Fort Worth.

Would like to see Publix here as well. They took Atlanta by storm in the 90s, they rival Kroger now for the lion's share of that market.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:31 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,458,415 times
We saw a Mindyard last week when we were in town.... Can't remember where now, but it certainly looked nice on the outside. Agree about Publix. They're a big player in the area we now live in. I will miss their customer service (and store-made bakery items)!

Old 12-06-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
No, Minyard sucked. If another grocery store wants to be a big player in DFW, I want it to be HEB or Publix.
It depends on what store you went to. The Kroger store in the Wynnewood area of Oak Cliff (Dallas) wasn't too nice before they renovated the store. Compared to the new Kroger stores it was a pile of crap. If I'm not mistaken, I think I seen a sign on a construction site on Polk St and Marvin D Love Fwy (behind the Long John Silver's) that said Minyards Polk. I need to go back over there to see if I'm correct or not.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:59 AM

I do think Minyard will always have a significant presence in the Southern Area of Dallas County.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:33 AM

2,982 posts, read 8,708,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I agree. Even my mother who shops at a small IGA in Rosebush, MI thought the Minyards at Gaston/Abrams was the worst grocery ever!!!
HEB would be a dream....would love to have it. But I'm happy with Super Target.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:37 AM

24,571 posts, read 35,632,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
It depends on what store you went to. The Kroger store in the Wynnewood area of Oak Cliff (Dallas) wasn't too nice before they renovated the store. Compared to the new Kroger stores it was a pile of crap. If I'm not mistaken, I think I seen a sign on a construction site on Polk St and Marvin D Love Fwy (behind the Long John Silver's) that said Minyards Polk. I need to go back over there to see if I'm correct or not.
Newer Krogers are nice, but my local Kroger isn't and I'd like some competition to drive prices down. Kroger isn't the most expensive but it's not cheap. Tom Thumb sucks and needs to go. At our local Tom Thumbs, customer service stinks, their selection is a big fat yawn, their produce sucks, and their prices are sky high. Sprouts is going down the tubes too; I rarely shop there anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
I agree. Even my mother who shops at a small IGA in Rosebush, MI thought the Minyards at Gaston/Abrams was the worst grocery ever!!!
HEB would be a dream....would love to have it. But I'm happy with Super Target.
Super Target is OK for pantry/frozen, but their selection isn't great. For fresh stuff their prices aren't that great, especially for vegetables.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:22 AM

69 posts, read 211,752 times
Heb!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas