Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 01:57 PM

149 posts, read 306,861 times

Advertisements

I'm curious to hear thoughts about the reputation of different police departments around the Dallas-Fort Worth area. I've heard a few things such as:
  • Some departments are stuck in the 1980s and are more 'old-school' than most others (Garland, Grand Prairie & Mesquite)
  • Some departments are professional, but the nature of their communities mean they don't see the variety of situations that other departments will, and consequently their officers are more likely to make mistakes (Coppell, Frisco & Allen)
  • The best reputations I've heard are in larger, more mature suburbs (Richardson, Carrollton & Irving)
  • Big departments are a mixed bag that have both great officers and lousy officers (Dallas, Fort Worth & Arlington)
Do these ring true to anyone else and are there specific departments that you think do a great job or particular trouble? Also, has anyone had experience with Highland Park or Wautaga's Public Safety Officer approach, where employees handle Police,Fire and EMS duties?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 02:01 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
I have never had any run-ins with the Richardson PD; I've only spoken to them at neighborhood events where they seemed very nice, but I know they love pulling people over and I have heard that they are not always pleasant to people that they pull over. I don't know from personal experience though.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:14 PM

323 posts, read 633,432 times
I can vouch for Richardson Police. I had a speeding ticket, baby pressed speed dial for 911, needed some documents verified for security etc. and every time they were nothing but efficient, pleasent and helpful. My salutes to RPD.

Last edited by Bypass13; 12-17-2012 at 04:42 PM..

Old 12-17-2012, 08:49 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,095,367 times
Plano cops have always been worthless in my experience. Whether it's traffic enforcement/accidents, 911 calls, etc... I've never met a Plano cop that was worth a damn. I have had some interactions with Frisco PD and thought they were great, but that was only on two occasions (rear ended twice.) McKinney PD also seems pretty good but most of my info about them is secondhand. I do have a long time friend of mine who is a McKinney officer and is a great guy. He says there's a few bad apples for McKinney PD, but he absolutely hates Plano PD.

Dallas PD was always very good in my 10 years of living downtown, very helpful.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:47 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Plano cops have always been worthless in my experience. Whether it's traffic enforcement/accidents, 911 calls, etc... I've never met a Plano cop that was worth a damn. I have had some interactions with Frisco PD and thought they were great, but that was only on two occasions (rear ended twice.) McKinney PD also seems pretty good but most of my info about them is secondhand. I do have a long time friend of mine who is a McKinney officer and is a great guy. He says there's a few bad apples for McKinney PD, but he absolutely hates Plano PD.

Dallas PD was always very good in my 10 years of living downtown, very helpful.
I know someone who is a police officer in Plano. He's not a bad cop. I'm aware of the Plano PD's reputation but I've never talked to any Plano cops except this one guy.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:54 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,407,065 times
I have had great experienced with Plano cops..... very professional and efficient in an accident investigation when a guy hit me by running a red light. Also had several alarms at the house go off... always very quick to respond and helpful and professional. I've only been here a little over 2 years so limited experience but good thus far.

Last edited by Johnhw2; 12-17-2012 at 10:05 PM..

Old 12-17-2012, 10:03 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,981,246 times
Don't mess with Garland, Wylie, or Sachse.
That's just what I heard.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:35 AM

323 posts, read 633,432 times
Plano police seems efficient and polite according to my 12 year experience and people in my circle. They do like to give out tickets but that's what makes people respect laws. Plano is a huge town but they do monitor it well & always help out if you ask for help. I feel very safe here thanks to them. I lived in Coppell for few years and we called it Copphell but felt safe.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:40 PM

827 posts, read 1,672,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Don't mess with Garland, Wylie, or Sachse.
That's just what I heard.
Wylie isn't that bad. PD is pretty good

Old 12-18-2012, 03:58 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,091 times
Don't forget the County Sheriffs' Departments and DPS. Both have significant presence in the DFW area. My FIL works for the latter and I have friends with the Collin Sheriff's Dept as well as in some smaller rural departments North and East.

I don't think any PD has a bad or good reputation as far as civilians go. I once went on a foot chase with DPD and caught the suspect who tried to fight me. I swept his feet. The officers had a good laugh over it and thanked me. DPD has had morale issues though but that seems to be past.

The suburbs like Plano tend to be pretty sleepy compared to the outlying towns like Greenville or Paris, which are a lot more exciting in the summer than even Dallas itself.

Some suburban departments have been through some scary events. The shootout in Richardson a few years ago changed a lot of things. Frisco and Arlington have a lot of responsibilities that only DPD has in terms of venues.

The area 911 network is superb BTW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas