U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 05:35 PM

87 posts, read 345,154 times

Advertisements

Does anyone recommend any alarm companies around the Metroplex? Besides Brinks, ADT, any other companies in the area that service Dallas? I'm looking for the ones that are cheap monthly rates, and free installation and free equipment. My house is already pre-wired for a house alarm. Just looking around to get everybody's opinions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2006, 08:19 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,011,242 times
Default Cheap Alarm Companies

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl_cls01 View Post
Does anyone recommend any alarm companies around the Metroplex? Besides Brinks, ADT, any other companies in the area that service Dallas? I'm looking for the ones that are cheap monthly rates, and free installation and free equipment. My house is already pre-wired for a house alarm. Just looking around to get everybody's opinions.
Be careful when using companies that have cheap monthly rates. These companies probably have low paid employees, and often cover large areas with only one dispatcher. You could live in Dallas, and the company dispatcher could be in Houston! Remember, you get what you pay for.

Old 10-03-2006, 08:30 AM

37 posts, read 199,864 times
Well, just like Steel Man said you get what you pay for, if you thinking about protecting your investment and your familly, don't just go with anything cheap it may cost you later. Do a internet search on smarthome, you can get a nice alarm system, completely wireless, and install it yourself or pay extra so they can install it for you. As far as monitoring your home, they have systems, that will automatically call you or upto 5 people and even your local police station, with a prerecorded voice, in case of a break in. My advice, don't go for something cheap to protect your investment and your familly, I work in this industry and I know what I'm talking about.

Old 10-03-2006, 09:22 AM

14,862 posts, read 40,038,179 times
The two that I recommend are Smith-Thompson and Dallas Security. We have dealt w/ Brinks, ADT and the two above. ADT, !!!!!! NO!!!!
We have alarms on our personal home and at business properties. We actually tested them to make sure they resonded. ADT, not a chance most of the time. One time we had a break in at a business property and the police drove by and saw the broken glass, the alarm going off and HE called. The alarm company never did a thing. Then once they never dispatched the police after they called us. So far we have been happy w/ Smith-Thompson and Dallas Security.

Old 12-17-2006, 05:52 PM

1 posts, read 10,713 times
Default Nothing Could Be Farther From The Truth

In most states, alarm companies are heavily regulated. In Texas they are under the Department of Public Safety. To say that a lower cost alarm company can't do the job is not only an uneducated statement, but aslo absolutely ridiculous and shows bias. There are more and more alarm companies doing business without ripping off the public, as has been the way for many years. Use your brains, the BBB, Chambers of Commerce and other sources to look for an alarm comnpany. Two of the least expensive in the Dallas area are DFW Alarm at $12.95 a month and Smith Thompson at $16.95 a month, neithe with a contract and both active in the community and long established. What people really need to look out for are those companies that make it appear you are getting something for free. That doesn't happen.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:33 PM

1 posts, read 7,891 times
You will find that the security system world is highly competitive. As noted in the threads. There realistically isn't one up-front price that can be quoted without seeing the environment that's applicable. Do your homework. The BBB suggests that you get at least three bids before you settle on the right company at the right price. A stable company is the best. What's the history of rate increases over the past 3-5 years? Does the service also include technical back up/warranty. Found a company many reps from other companies are defecting to. In this case, happy employees are happy internal customers which in turn will serve a happy customer.

Last edited by FarNorthDallas; 10-21-2009 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: Deleted company name - must have 10 posts to make recommendations

Old 10-21-2009, 03:49 PM

73 posts, read 263,949 times
We have Smith Thompson and have been happy with them so far. Because we have a VOIP phone system, we wanted to get a system that called out over GSM (Wireless), and Smith Thompson handles that without an extra monthly fee. Their installation costs are a bit pricey (and even if you have a pre-wired system, they have to hook up the main controllers -- the brains -- and can't guarantee service unless they hook up their own system). You can call them and give them your specific situation and get a quote. We had a new house and needed the actual control panels and stuff, so paying the setup fee made sense.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:52 PM

436 posts, read 1,531,205 times
another vote for smith-thompson.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:32 PM

63 posts, read 172,272 times
I would recommend installation of the Surveillent Camera Motion Detection System. It's better security for an environment with overwhelming naughty activities. LOL!. and it's one time deal. Check at Best Buy or Fry's Eleclectronics stores for more info.

BTW, I recommend stay away from the South side of HW 635 within Dallas city limit if you and your children dont wanna be affected by naughty environment.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:09 PM

9,418 posts, read 12,335,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTDGraduate View Post
I would recommend installation of the Surveillent Camera Motion Detection System. It's better security for an environment with overwhelming naughty activities. LOL!. and it's one time deal. Check at Best Buy or Fry's Eleclectronics stores for more info.

BTW, I recommend stay away from the South side of HW 635 within Dallas city limit if you and your children dont wanna be affected by naughty environment.

The OP says they're in McKinney, very far north, so no need to worry about naughty environments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas