Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 12:51 PM

9 posts, read 36,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymrat View Post
That is what killed me when attending these 2 schools. I could not believe the number of OOS there. I viewed them more as a commuter school being a Dallasite. I could live in the Dallas area and commute to Denton easily. Living in Dallas vs Denton had many advantages. Wages were higher and rents were lower. Could not believe what friends that rented apartments in Denton were paying for dumps with no amenities at all. I did not come close to spending in gas enough to justify the higher rents in Denton. Throw in the lower wages in the Denton market and it was a no brainer. It could be different now that the Dallas metroplex has grown and connected with Denton now.

OP, are you just wanting to get away from your current state? What other schools have you considred? Have you visited Denton and these schools? Have you already applied to these schools and any others? Sad to say, time is running out. For most schools your app and scholarship app needed to be turned in by December 1 to be considered for any scholarships from the school. Housing and enrollment deposits have already been made for most schools as well. I suggest you get on a site called College Confidential and research as much as you can on these schools and any other schools you may be interested in.

Just know that both of these schools are more "commuter" in nature and on weekends it can be pretty dull and quiet.

If any one is wondering the cost of any state pubilc university there is a site called College For All Texans. You can put in your household income and other info and it will tell you what you can expect to pay and how much in aide (mostly loans) you can expect to receive. You can also visit most schools websites and use their Net Price Calculator to see how much you can expect to spend. Also, research each schools merit scholarships. There are some GREAT scholarships out there from many schools. Sometimes it does pay to go out of state.

Hello
And yes I am trying to leave my home state immediately. I feel that going out of state will change me for the better. And I have not applied yet, I thought I still had time to apply since I plan on being an incoming freshmen in the fall of 2013.
I havent visited TWU or UNT yet, I will next month. I have considered UT - Austin and Texas A&M but I have a 3.7 gpa and got an 18 on my ACT so I dont think I really have a chance.
I want to move to Texas for other reasons, I thought it would be great for me to start with going to school there first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 01:04 PM

743 posts, read 1,320,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenni_jay View Post
Hello
And yes I am trying to leave my home state immediately. I feel that going out of state will change me for the better. And I have not applied yet, I thought I still had time to apply since I plan on being an incoming freshmen in the fall of 2013.
I havent visited TWU or UNT yet, I will next month. I have considered UT - Austin and Texas A&M but I have a 3.7 gpa and got an 18 on my ACT so I dont think I really have a chance.
I want to move to Texas for other reasons, I thought it would be great for me to start with going to school there first.
The UNT deadline is March 1. TWU "recommends" you apply two months before the classes you want begin (unless you want nursing, that deadline is Feb 1). I suggest you speak to your high school guidance counselor. They can provide the hands on direction an internet forum cannot. Also, look into SFA, Texas State, UT-Arlington, Houston, and A&M-Galveston. None are top tier schools, but they increase your options and chances.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:04 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Hello
No offense, but the schools you are considering IMHO are not worth the high out-of-state tuition you will have to pay to attend them. Why don't you stay in your home state for college and move here after you're done?

Old 01-04-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
The UNT deadline is March 1. TWU "recommends" you apply two months before the classes you want begin (unless you want nursing, that deadline is Feb 1). I suggest you speak to your high school guidance counselor. They can provide the hands on direction an internet forum cannot. Also, look into SFA, Texas State, UT-Arlington, Houston, and A&M-Galveston. None are top tier schools, but they increase your options and chances.
Thanks for the recommendations. I have actually considered UT-Arlington, as I did some research on it, it seem as though the school is not in a safe area and its mostly non-traditional students that attend. I definitely will look into it again.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
No offense, but the schools you are considering IMHO are not worth the high out-of-state tuition you will have to pay to attend them. Why don't you stay in your home state for college and move here after you're done?

Yeah but the state I live in in-state tuition is about the same as these schools out of state tuition, sad to say.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:06 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,801,620 times
Default Not hard

Not hard at all. Well I don't how hard it is for an out of state person but I was accepted at both.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:19 PM

178 posts, read 399,075 times
Quote:
Yeah but the state I live in in-state tuition is about the same as these schools out of state tuition, sad to say.
how about moving here and starting at community college, then transfer to UNT or someplace else in-state. would be much cheaper, i'm assuming?

Old 01-04-2013, 05:40 PM

297 posts, read 512,648 times
Quote:
Hello

Okay, here is an option that will get you a much better education.
Look into Collin County Community College and their program that coordinates with SMU (Southern Methodist University).
1. It is not in your home state.
2. Lower expense starting out at CCC
3. They work together so that all of your credits transfer.
4. SMU is MUCH BETTER school than all that have been mentioned.
5. The job market will be stronger in the area around CCC and SMU.
6. Connections made at SMU will be great once you are out and needing a job at graduation or even years down the road.

Yes, most kids that are seniors have already applied and gotten acceptance letters back. I'm the mom of one such. We spent all of the junior year investigating and visiting potential schools across the country. She too desires to be out of state and for us that is out of Texas. Because of her high scores and academic record she has been courted by some of the top tier schools in the nation. Even though some have already passed their deadlines they are still calling and sending emails and mail courting her. That 18 on your ACT is not going to help, sorry . I suggest studying like crazy and taking it again. Unless you plan on going the CCC route to start off with then don't worry about it. Yes, you will have to pay out of county tuition at CCC to start with, but if you can count yourself independent for your 2014 taxes (2013 will be impossible as you are still a high school student living at home) and can prove residency in Collin County, then you can pay in county rates.

Get on each schools site ASAP and see what deadlines they have for applications for scholarships and their applications.

Here is the link for CCCC and the SMU transfer program:
http://transferu.collin.edu/smu.html

Last edited by gymrat; 01-04-2013 at 05:51 PM..

Old 01-04-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Unless you are a man, now THAT might be a probelm

Back in the 80's a male could attend TWU if they were in the nursing program or grad student.
It is now open for all sexes.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Texas lacks a strong system of top-tier universities. I consider Rice, UT-Austin, and A&M to be our top-tier schools; UT-Dallas is a good university but lacks a reputation outside of north Texas, and some other Texas universities have noteworthy programs such as TWU for teaching or nursing, UT-Arlington for architecture, UNT for music, etc. but they aren't strong across the board in the degrees that they offer.

As the population explodes in Texas it will put ever more pressure on our top-tier universities and our other ones will have to step it up or our best students will continue to be poached by out of state schools like Bama and OU.

Don't count on that happening any time soon. A&M has already started on the slippery slope and last year several of the UT regents stepped down. Perry has taken over and is not doing the higher education in this state any favors. He is ruining it! Has even mentioned that he would like for our state schools to pull out of national accreditations and having our own state accrediting.

Except for kids with strong family ties to our state institutions or they feel they must stay in state due to financial needs (fallacy), our top grads are going to be running out of state. The out of state schools that are actively seeking to raise the bar academically have been courting our top grads and will continue to do so even more as our system slips further down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas