Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 08:24 PM

681 posts, read 1,672,376 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

To those of you who have moved to the DFW area from outside Texas, how long did your job search take? and how far in advance did you start before you accepted a job offer?

If I'm looking to start working Mid-August to early September 2013, when do you suggest I start sending out resumes and/or making contacts with head hunters and recruiters? The reason why I ask is because I don't want to start my job hunt way too early.

Thanks for Reading.

Last edited by Mr. Chad; 01-03-2013 at 09:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 08:50 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,533,345 times
Mr Chad currently where you live right now do you have a job? And might that job offer a transfer? This would be the easiest in your situation. In this day and economy most employer wont look at a out of state resume. You might want to offer your company if you can transfer that you are willing to pay your moving expenses ...this can also be applied to taxes for that year.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:53 AM

119 posts, read 247,849 times
We are from MI and we were straight out of college. My husband works in a hospital and got a job within a month of applying to places. He got the job offer in April and started in June. I was hired part-time when fall started (I'm in college education) first, and it only took a year for me to be hired full-time, but that is NOT the norm. I was incredibly lucky.

Overall, I think it really depends on your field, whether or not it's a hiring field, and a lot of luck. Good luck

Old 01-04-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKOUT View Post
Mr Chad currently where you live right now do you have a job? And might that job offer a transfer? This would be the easiest in your situation. In this day and economy most employer wont look at a out of state resume. You might want to offer your company if you can transfer that you are willing to pay your moving expenses ...this can also be applied to taxes for that year.
I live in NYC and have been in banking for 10 years or so. Have a bachelors in business admin, finance and a minor in human resources. My company doesn't have an office in TX unfortunately, so ill be applying to other banks etc....

My skills lie mainly in sales and customer service, relationship management, and dealing with high net worth people, but I am willing to try other fields.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracenat View Post
We are from MI and we were straight out of college. My husband works in a hospital and got a job within a month of applying to places. He got the job offer in April and started in June. I was hired part-time when fall started (I'm in college education) first, and it only took a year for me to be hired full-time, but that is NOT the norm. I was incredibly lucky.

Overall, I think it really depends on your field, whether or not it's a hiring field, and a lot of luck. Good luck
Thanks!

Old 01-04-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
I live in NYC and have been in banking for 10 years or so. Have a bachelors in business admin, finance and a minor in human resources. My company doesn't have an office in TX unfortunately, so ill be applying to other banks etc....

My skills lie mainly in sales and customer service, relationship management, and dealing with high net worth people, but I am willing to try other fields.
Also, I wanted to add that if having an out of state address would work against me, I have a few friends locally who just may be ok with me temporarily using their address as a temporary contact.... Any thoughts?

Old 01-04-2013, 10:34 AM

11,856 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Quote:
Also, I wanted to add that if having an out of state address would work against me, I have a few friends locally who just may be ok with me temporarily using their address as a temporary contact.... Any thoughts?
This will be a big help. Some companies are reluctant to hire someone who is not local, especially when there are plenty of local candidates available. You need to be ready to fly/drive here at short notice for interviews.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:58 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,533,345 times
I would recommend use of a local address and I would start applying soon. That field seems to have a lot of flexability.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:22 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times
Never too early.

Start with using your out-of-state address. (only IF you will still be able to have that as a long-term address -- I regularly get calls from 2 year or more old resumes). That you are coming from out-of-state will point towards your longer time-frame.

In a few months pick up a local DFW mail address.

Personally I can recommend some REALLY good folks in that business, if you want to DM / PM me.

AND Phone Number. That covers even the dim-wittest of would-be employers.

Even better, if you can grab a decent broker/head-hunter they handle all that grief for you.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:07 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
I would not do that. It's dishonest and you'll need to drop $1500 on ASAP airfare every time someone wants to interview you as they'll assume you're local and can come in to interview within a few days' notice.

Tolleson is a well regarded private banking / wealth management group in Dallas. Check them out Home - Tolleson Wealth. Believe they manage families with > $30-35M in assets.

If you have 10 years of banking experience in NYC, you don't need to lie on your resume to relo to Dallas. Use your current Rolodex of high net worth clients to get other private bank names & recommendations for Dallas. Super rich people are a pretty tight network in the US; most of the super rich here have second homes in NYC or summer in the Hamptons or Aspen. Can't imagine it would be that hard to find yourself a job here if that's your niche.

I'd start looking / heavy networking about 70-90 days prior to when you want to move.If that's over the summer then you may want to start a tad earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: