Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 06:42 PM

42 posts, read 150,020 times

Advertisements

Hi there. City data is where I look for honesty and never once it has failed me. I have a good friend comming down. Hes got his hopes up for a true bbq dive and dive steakhouse. I can without a doubt find amazing steak and amazing bbq all around me, but they all lack the dive element that my friend has his hopes set on. Someone at work had mentioned taking a ride over to the stock yards. He'll only be here for one weekend and Ive only got one chance at this. Input would help out. Ive checked the Dallas section here and have a huge list of great places to eat but its just the dive style (with good food) thats hard for me to nail down. I know it would be an easy call for the experts on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 07:29 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,860,168 times
Trail Dust Steak House, the Aubrey location on Highway 380.
Trail Dust Steak House

Sonny Bryan's Smokehouse, the original Inwood/Harry Hines location.
Sonny Bryan's Smokehouse | Dallas Fort Worth BBQ | Barbeque Catering

If you just want a dive, Adair's Saloon in Deep Ellum.
Home | Adair's Saloon

Old 01-07-2013, 07:39 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Trail Dust is NOT a dive! It's like a Western/ Disney chain mix. Sonny Bryan's is also a chain- I think it's even at the airport.

For steak, I'd recommend Dunston's on Lover's Lane. Head to the TOT (Time Out Tavern) afterward for dive drinks. Dunston's steak isn't as good as Nick & Sam's or other pricey places, but it's a solid hole-in-the-wall in an unassuming strip mall.

For BBQ, try Pecan Lodge at the Farmer's Market for a different experience. Or head out to the country for some of the well-know BBQ like Hard 8 in Stephenville. Big Al's used to be more of a dive in its old location. Food is still awesome but new location is not so dive-y.

Do agree on Adair's in Deep Ellum! Good burgers & definitely a dive bar.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:58 PM

551 posts, read 1,098,236 times
My in-laws love Dunstin's. The steaks are OK but I've never got the appeal personally. I'd say Bob's. It's laid back and not flashy like Nick and Sam's but the steaks are better. It's pricey though.

I love Adair's. My favorite bar in Dallas. But they don't sell steak or bbq.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:03 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
I will second Dunston's. I haven't been there in 15 years, but DH and I used to love it!

If you're willing to drive over to Fort Worth, check out Fred's. FRED'S TEXAS CAFE It is defintiely a dive, and is well known for good food and fun times. It's now in the middle of the West 7th development, but its been there for decades.

Trail Dust used to be a chain, but I think the Aubrey location is the only one left. The Grapevine one has been something else for at least 5 years, and the Mesquite location has been torn down. It's pretty good food and can be a fun place.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:07 AM

69 posts, read 238,198 times
Trail Dust is still in Arlington as well.. across the freeway from Six Flags.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:31 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
For steak, I'd recommend Dunston's on Lover's Lane... Dunston's steak isn't as good as Nick & Sam's or other pricey places, but it's a solid hole-in-the-wall in an unassuming strip mall.
OMG! Just checked out Dunston's website. It looks like a snapshot of a point in time - I can't WAIT to give this a try once we're in town! We love to hit the "original" places in cities, that have been there forever. We love a similar-looking Italian restaurant in Atlanta called Alfredo's. My God, you'd never even know it was there unless someone who knows about it takes you there (which our friends did).

Old 01-08-2013, 09:20 AM

871 posts, read 2,688,928 times
True BBQ dive, but known as some of the best BBQ in the state?

Easy,

Meshack's BBQ in Garland
240 East Avenue B Garland, TX 75040
(214) 227-4748

Considered some of the best BBQ in the state, cash only shack in Garland with little parking and hardly any seating area. TOTAL DIVE. But it's really good.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:29 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,478,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

Easy,

Meshack's BBQ in Garland
(214) 227-4748

Considered some of the best BBQ in the state, cash only shack in Garland with little parking and hardly any seating area. TOTAL DIVE. But it's really good.
I've heard this too.
Right up there with the Wingfield's for burgers.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:55 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,611,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post

Easy,

Meshack's BBQ in Garland
(214) 227-4748

They have seating???

I agree; their barbecue is excellent. Atmosphere is limited to a gravel parking lot and the inside of your car in my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas