Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2013, 01:26 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,906,658 times

Advertisements

Interested in obtaining an RE license:

1. What online prep courses are reccomended as I would like to do my study online?
2. Can the RE test be taken online, is there a testing facility near the plano area?
3. How long should I adequately plan and prep for the exam?
4. Do I need to be a formal resident of TX. We plan on coming for our looksie on april, and securing a home rental. Need to tell our relo company an address to ship the goods! I would like to take the exam while we are out there if possible.
5. Is there a state law that my RE license needs to be "held" by a firm for a 'x' amount of time and then I can go out on my own (that is the very long term plan).
6. What other licenses or professional designations do feel are important to the success of your career.

My background is in mortgage and finance/banking, so its not a totally new field for me, however I would like to hear from some DFW realtors (you may pm if its not allowed on CD)..is it better to start of with the big players or go towards a smaller more boutique enviroment. I am sure this is on the RE board, but I want the specifics on the DFW area since that is where I will use the License the most. My focus would be to learn how the "other side of the industry works"..and take it from there. I understand that its essentially like running your own shop and I have done that..I have set aside about 7-10k to invest without and guilt in case it doesnt work out.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 02:03 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,485,457 times
You must be a legal resident of Texas. Most real estate schools offer their own up to date online practice tests. If you study and pay attention the test is easy. Be looking for a broker to sponsor you. You won't actually be an active licensed salesperson until a broker agrees to sponsor you.

All of your other questions are answered on trec's website:

https://www.trec.state.tx.us/licenses/salesapp.asp

Old 01-09-2013, 01:44 PM

67 posts, read 164,234 times
The TREC website RonnieinDallas listed will give you great information. You can do classes online through a lot of the schools. Leonard-Hawes is well known, and so is Champions in Coppell.

I'm a former agent, I stopped putting a lot of effort into it when my youngest was born and quit altogether about a year later, mostly because I was paying fees and not doing anything. It's a good, flexible career, especially if your husband's income can cover the basic expenses for a while. Your pay will most likely be commissions only, which are paid upon closing and funding, and you shouldn't expect to get benefits. Almost all agents work as independent contractors.

I would recommend to go with a big name company at first for the training and name recognition. I was with Moderator cut: not permitted in forum - send info by DM/PM only, they had a great new agent training program and are the biggest, most recognizable company in my part of town. They have mentoring programs, and if you'd like, you can join a team. You have to work a lot harder to sell yourself when you're with a company that people haven't heard of. When you're new with little experience, clients will be more comfortable working with you because you're backed by a big name that they're familiar with. Once you've established your own name in the business, you can get your broker license and go out on your own. You have to be active for at least 2 years before doing so (unless it's changed). You must be sponsored by a broker for a salesperson license to be active. Only brokers can stand alone on their license.

I hope that helps! You can PM me if you have more specific questions. It's a good time, the market here has rebounded quite well- houses are selling again, and builders are building again.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-09-2013 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: Per TOS, no specific real estate company name permitted in post in forum

Old 01-09-2013, 01:55 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,171,554 times
You should talk to several Brokers. I like my Independent Broker who is the largest in TX. If you need a name or referral give me a DM. I chose them for their training and support and never regretted that decision.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:28 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,906,658 times
Thanks everyone....will add this to my checklist for research! You guys are always the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas