U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 10:09 PM

28 posts, read 34,628 times

Advertisements

Was looking at some new builds in Fairview near 75 and wasn't that surprised to learn that FiOS isn't available up there. But what did surprise me was that the ONLY option appeared to be ATT Uverse (Which by my definition, is not high speed).

I don't even understand how you can build a new home and not have high speed access. Is this common up this way?

I'm also looking at the Trails of Glenwood area in Plano which doesn't have this issue (FiOS IS available), but I know Plano is pretty good about having FiOS availability everywhere.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 10:13 PM

323 posts, read 565,856 times
Really? No Fios? Surprising!

Old 01-13-2013, 10:23 PM

390 posts, read 632,199 times
Why do you say that Uverse "by definition" is not high speed?

Old 01-13-2013, 10:47 PM

When I first moved into the area, right before I signed my rental lease, discovered that uverse was the only option (and some other no name company) and only speeds of up to 3mbps were available. You almost never get the speed they list, especially not at night. I had to cancel my lease and scramble to find another place to live in less than a week, since my stuff was already scheduled to arrive by the movers and couldn't be changed. (xcountry move)

As someone who relies on high performance internet for a lot of things, any speed under 10 is out of the question. Netflix, for example, requires a minimum of 1.5 (and really it isn't even usable at that speed). If you want to watch something in higher definition, you can forget about it at single digit numbers.

I enjoy FiOS now at speeds of over 40mb/s most nights and it is wonderful. I have a hard time even imagining going back to cable...but if cable isn't even available, ugh. Dealbreaker.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:50 PM

3,633 posts, read 7,710,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seat21d View Post
Why do you say that Uverse "by definition" is not high speed?
The OP actually said:
"Which by my definition,"

Old 01-13-2013, 11:27 PM

4,378 posts, read 4,724,391 times
Fios is a huge money loser for Verizon, and they are not going to be doing much more buildout in the next few years. There are different flavors of Uverse - including fiber to the premesis like FIOS(IOW: your definition is incorrect), but that is also a huge money loser and will only be built out where added to the HOA contract and included in every house. Otherwise, you get fiber just to the curb or cable.

FIOS as internet service and tv is also not particuarly special in my opinion. I have it, but could take it or leave it. The one thing is used to be was amazingly reliable (no outages in the previous 3 years) though not impressively fast without a big $$ package, but even that has gone downhill in the past year. The upgrades have been far and few between also. I've not heard that they support more than 2 recordings per box like most of the other providers now do, and they drop channels regularly that used to be included in my package while not lowering the price.

On the other hand, if you really want FIOS, then check a Verizon map, because around most of DFW, they & ATT control on a neighborhood by neighborhood basis, and don't compete (yay capitalism!) so even if the complex you checked didn't have it the next one over might.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:52 AM

323 posts, read 565,856 times
I would not live without Fios to be honest, at least until something faster shows up.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:16 AM

I've had FiOS for the past year and the internet really is wonderful. TheOverdog is correct in that their TV service is nothing special...but their internet really is.

It looks like due to the location of the place I'm looking at, they do offer U-Verse's highest speed option which doesn't sound terrible... 24 down 3 up. Guess I'll need to read some reviews on that. I'm told that further out that isn't even an option. Still nowhere close to my 35 up 15 down which usually runs faster than that.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:48 AM

868 posts, read 2,450,302 times
Is there a reason you are not limiting yourself to homes that have FIOS? That's what we did when we moved to DFW area. I know for most people that doesn't "make sense," but OP is talking about internet access as part of a home search.

My wife and I were sitting around yesterday and just looking at home listings in Lavon for no reason (We live in Wylie). Lavon wouldn't add too much to my commute, but the price really drops. But no FIOS is a complete dealbreaker.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:07 PM

No high speed at all is a dealbreaker, but it doesn't have to be FiOS itself. I'm currently not sure if the Uverse "turbo max", 24/3, is an option or not. Still trying to weigh that into the decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: