Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 08:11 AM

4 posts, read 17,537 times

Advertisements

The problem I have with existing is that I have done that numerous times and never find the finishes that I want and end up spending $50k-80k to change out finishes, upgrade appliances, redecorate and remodel... not to mention all of the electrical changes because most people don't think through where to place outlets, switches etc. It would have to be the absolute perfect lot and perfect floorplan to make me consider resale and with low inventories and what I have seen it does not exist right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 08:12 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,405,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CABCK2DFW View Post
Semi-Custom then... I'm not looking to design/build - I've found in my 20 years in real estate those are the strangest floor plans and the reason production builders are more successful is because they've found what works and allows you to tweak it to your tastes.
Some people run down the semi custom guys but they are a good fit for many. A first time built home typically has some issues no matter how good the architect/mechanical design and superintendent. They also offer more home for the money and some will allow you to take a proven design and move walls etc. Darling has a great reputation in this regard but remember they have a new owner now so make sure all they promise id clearly documented if you go their way.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:25 AM

4 posts, read 17,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Some people run down the semi custom guys but they are a good fit for many. A first time built home typically has some issues no matter how good the architect/mechanical design and superintendent. They also offer more home for the money and some will allow you to take a proven design and move walls etc. Darling has a great reputation in this regard but remember they have a new owner now so make sure all they promise id clearly documented if you go their way.
Yes, I was disappointed to see Taylor Morrison buy Darling Homes. I think Darling will eventually go the way of Monterey Homes. Both are great niche builders that offer true semi-custom plans and quality. Monterey was bought by Meritage Homes who has bastardized the brand and rarely even use the name any more which is why I don't see the point... I am very familiar with Taylor Morrison as I have lived in many of their markets and they are another low end builder with very limited customizing options like Meritage (down to appliances and flooring etc.). I truly hope they do not do the same as Meritage has done. I think K Hov. has a done a nice job with the Goodman acquisition you can see a definite difference between their home series but I still think these huge builders are making huge mistakes eliminating the very brand they are buying when they are buying them for their brand difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas