Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 10:21 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
Very helpful. Thank you. I think that in November the Denver metro area was something like 55-45 for Obama, so it is probably not as conservative as DFW. That said, however, that's only a 10 point gap, and the perception of Denver is that it's very liberal and that Dallas is very conservative. It seems that really neither is true.
When you look at the metro areas as a whole, its probably safe to say that both Dallas and Denver are moderate more than anything else. Denver is moderate with liberal leanings and DFW is moderate with conservative leanings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 10:29 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,208,084 times
Quote:
* We're somewhat outdoorsy, and I'm concerned that missing the mountains would be a big hit.

* Dallas always struck me as somewhat glamorous, especially compared to Denver, to the point of being downright materialistic. Is that true only of some areas? Is that even true?

* Are the COLs comparable?

Thanks for your advice, experience, and help.

- I question your idea of "outdoorsy" if you are considering a move to Dallas. If you care remotely for having mountains near you then you don't move to Dallas. Period.

- I think COL is comparable if you live moderately. CO has income tax and low property tax. However, TX has no income tax and high property tax.

- Downtown Dallas is pretty lame. However, Downtown Ft. Worth is pretty awesome.

- I moved from Texas and lived in CO for two years. It changed my life. I got into rock climbing, backpacking , snowboarding , and mountain biking. I then moved back to Dallas when I lost my job and I met a girl when I moved to Texas. I think about CO everyday and how amazing it would be to move back. I spend a lot of time driving 24+ hour round trip road trips going back to CO to play outside.

Dallas is flat, hot, and the highways are straighter than a ruler. There are pretty parts in Texas such as Big Bend, Enchanted Rock, and the Lower Pecos. You will learn to love NW Arkansas for all of its public land, mountains, trees, and trails.

Basically, if I never had lived in Colorado than Texass would have been a great place to live but I did and Texas sucks for the outdoors.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:40 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
If we want to nitpick, then yes; but usually people outside of Dallas are referring to the metro area when they say 'Dallas', not Dallas proper. It's like saying 'well X isn't really in LA, it's in Reseda.'
Speaking of nitpicking , actually Reseda is not a city but a neighborhood in the city of Los Angeles -- like Studio City or Van Nuys though many people outside of LA think they are their own cities. Despite some efforts to separate over the years, much of the San Fernando Valley remains part of the city of Los Angeles.

Reseda, Los Angeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For the OP, if you don't mind driving 2-4 hours for your outdoor entertainment (Hill Country, parts of Oklahoma and Arkansas), then Dallas isn't such a bad place to be. And there are some okay trails if you're into mountain biking, especially in the southern part of Dallas County. But, yeah, it's no Denver. Having said that, Dallas is a more sophisticated, ethnically diverse city than Dallas.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:03 PM

743 posts, read 1,320,637 times
Quote:
I looked at those numbers, too. But how much of Collin and Denton Counties are actually part of the Metroplex? In other words, did Romney do so well in Collin and Denton counties because of the rural parts of those counties, or is most of that from suburban DFW voters?

And, also, what are the Tarrant and Dallas County suburbs like? Is Richardson, in Dallas County, also liberal like the city?
All of Collin and Denton are part of the Metroplex. They are suburban in form with the exception of their far corners-- but no one lives there (yet).

Richardson has more red than blue precincts, but I'm not sure what the total was. Here's what the vote looked like in Dallas County:

Dallas - Election Results

Old 01-17-2013, 12:59 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
I looked at those numbers, too. But how much of Collin and Denton Counties are actually part of the Metroplex? In other words, did Romney do so well in Collin and Denton counties because of the rural parts of those counties, or is most of that from suburban DFW voters?

And, also, what are the Tarrant and Dallas County suburbs like? Is Richardson, in Dallas County, also liberal like the city?
Richardson is less liberal than Dallas but more liberal than Collin County.

Moderator cut: rude

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-17-2013 at 09:12 PM..

Old 01-17-2013, 01:17 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
Having said that, Dallas is a more sophisticated, ethnically diverse city than Dallas.
???

Old 01-17-2013, 01:26 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,881 times
Quote:
Collin County is red red red but if you're looking for a metro area where there are hardly any liberals, this isn't it. Try Oklahoma City.
haha, well there are a few liberal professors and students at OU struggling to breathe in the conservative air, so it isn't 100% true

Old 01-17-2013, 01:58 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,513,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
???
Fairly certain the second Dallas is meant to be Denver. Damn those D named cities!

Old 01-17-2013, 02:07 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
haha, well there are a few liberal professors and students at OU struggling to breathe in the conservative air, so it isn't 100% true
It's more conservative than DFW though!

Old 01-17-2013, 02:33 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,294 times
Obama received close to 42% of the vote in Oklahoma County. That's a lot of professors and students!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas