Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 08:20 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
That was my thought too. Dallas is not really humid at all.
If you're coming from an arid or semi-arid place, trust me, Dallas feels humid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 03:23 PM

8 posts, read 9,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
Yeah, good point if Denver isn't the outdoor paradise you were hoping for I am not sure what will make you happy outdoors.

What do you like to do outside?
Guess I was just trying to keep the "Denver is very outdoors" comments to a min. Because consistent negative comment about Dallas's lack of mountains and such. I think Denver's biggest draw are its outdoor activities. However, IMHO The Rocky Mountains target a specific type of outdoors. Just like I don't miss the ocean in my backyard, I wont miss the mountains either. That's what lower cost of living and vacations are for.

I enjoy water sports, camping, jogging, walking my dogs, playing at the park with my son, and light bike riding (to name a few). I would like a well planned neighborhood that brings much of this together (paved trails a must).

When my son gets older, will camping be an issue in Dallas? Seems not.

Are the bigger lakes in the area used much for wake boarding/jet skis? Too choppy?

Are mosquitos/bugs an issue if I have my home sprayed? Everyone says bugs an issue in Texas as whole.

What do you do with family when its so hot you cant go outside? Are there lots of indoor activities?

Are kids outside regardless of heat and do they swim regardless of bathtub temp pools?

Is it just as windy in Dallas as it is in Denver? Denver can get pretty gusty.

Thanks again, I visit in three weeks!

Last edited by Cazyideas; 03-31-2013 at 04:44 PM..

Old 04-01-2013, 11:58 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,174,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazyideas View Post
Guess I was just trying to keep the "Denver is very outdoors" comments to a min. Because consistent negative comment about Dallas's lack of mountains and such. I think Denver's biggest draw are its outdoor activities. However, IMHO The Rocky Mountains target a specific type of outdoors. Just like I don't miss the ocean in my backyard, I wont miss the mountains either. That's what lower cost of living and vacations are for.

I enjoy water sports, camping, jogging, walking my dogs, playing at the park with my son, and light bike riding (to name a few). I would like a well planned neighborhood that brings much of this together (paved trails a must).

Are the bigger lakes in the area used much for wake boarding/jet skis? Too choppy?

Are mosquitos/bugs an issue if I have my home sprayed? Everyone says bugs an issue in Texas as whole.

What do you do with family when its so hot you cant go outside? Are there lots of indoor activities?

Are kids outside regardless of heat and do they swim regardless of bathtub temp pools?

I'll try to answer a few of those. I don't think camping will be a problem. My family used to go camping at various area lakes when I was younger, and there are some nice areas within a reasonable drive.

We used to take our boat to Lavon and Ray Roberts a few years ago and there were always people with boats and jet skis. During the spring the winds really pick up, so you do need to watch that if you are going to the lake. The water is not fun when you have to go slowly or risk getting beat to death due to the waves. Also, spring storms can pop up quickly and you don't want to be in the middle of the lake when one of those rolls through.

You can't really spray your house for mosquitos. Ants, spiders, and other things? Yes. Some cities spray for mosquitos when people start getting diagnosed with West Nile, but it's really up to you to eliminate standing water around your home. Of course if you have a pool that is a problem.

Most kids in my neighborhood are out all the time, regardless of temperature and that includes swimming. They just seem more immune to it than adults. Just keep any outdoor activites to early in the morning or once the sun starts to go down. But it is still hot at night and once dusk hits, you risk getting eaten up by mosquitos.

But I see people walking their dogs, riding their bikes, and kids playing outside almost year round. I don't think you'll have a problem with that.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:25 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,885,270 times
Folks are forgetting that both the OP and Cazyideas would be coming from Denver where the daytime humidity during the summer is frequently in the single digits. Compare that with DFW where it's routinely 40% or higher. That's humid.

Now, with that in mind, do you really think someone coming from here is going to enjoy camping in a tent in the middle of July when the highs are 95-105 and lows are in the upper 70s-lower 80s? Highly unlikely. Same thing goes for jogging or doing damn near anything outside that requires exertion. Summer in DFW is awful. It's a demonic cross of desert heat and gulf humidity.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:31 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
If you're coming from an arid or semi-arid place, trust me, Dallas feels humid.
Agreed. I lived in Dallas from 0-18 and had no issues. Moved to Lubbock for 4 years and the first summer back in Dallas felt like I was walking in the ocean.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:59 AM

3,378 posts, read 9,207,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazyideas View Post

Dallas is windy there isn't much to stop the wind around here like trees or mountains.

People install systems to actually cool their pool.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:55 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,298,351 times
People install systems to actually cool their pool.[/quote]

I have lived in Dallas for 40 years. I currently live in PH and used to live in the Park Cities. I have never seen anyone install systems to cool their pool. Every now and then when it gets hot you here a story about Hurricane Harbor or some jackwagon dumping large amounts of ice in a pool, but I have never scene a system built to cool a pool. Maybe Perot or Hicks has one, but 99.5% of pools do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas