Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 09:25 AM

4 posts, read 17,451 times

Advertisements

We are hoping to relocate back to the Dallas area from Northern CA and have started looking for a new construction luxury home around $450k-$600k in the Northern DFW area primarily in Frisco - possibly The Tribute (mainly due to the lot size and potential views). We visited several new home subdivisions last month when we were in Texas. We've looked at several luxury builders and below is our summary. Can anyone lend some insight on the quality of the builders (especially Belclaire since they are a new one we haven't heard much about)? We are looking for high end finishes, professional appliances, architecture, character and a large private lot.

1) Highland Homes: Really like some of their floorplans but in the communities we like Highland isn't really building those plans and/or the lot sizes are too small. We do however really like that they have incorporated some of the features from their Huntington line and we love Huntington but that product is too expensive now.

2) Darling Homes: They have really nice floorplans and some nice architectural details but from what we gleened by visiting their communities is that their homes don't have many standard high end finishes and the upgrades are pretty expensive comparatively.

3) Shaddock Homes: They pretty much just have 4 or 5 floorplans and they are all the same no matter which neighborhood we visited and none of them were perfect. They were also on the high end of our budget. We do like Park Place Estates though - some of the largest lots in the area - if you can find the right one that doesn't back to another house

4) Drees and K. Hov: Both have features in their floorplans that we like but neither have the perfect floorplan. K Hov can easily be modified for minimal cost for a re-draw and reasonable and more flexible on upgrades. Drees will also customize their plans but the cost is higher. I do like that Drees has some nice ceiling and architectural treatments that K Hov doesn't seem to offer tho.

5) Belclaire Homes: By far our favorite. They have great floorplans and the most character and architectural details but not sure on what is offered as standard features and what is an upgrade yet. Also not sure how much they charge for structural modifications. Belclaire is again are at the top of our budget but we really do like their product. They are also the newest of the builders and the ones we know the least about.

All of the others Grand, Toll etc. are just tract homes with some lipstick and everything is an upgrade.

Is anyone willing to share their insight and opinions. Thanks for any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 09:35 AM

6,255 posts, read 16,979,535 times
Out of the choices listed, I'd say Drees is the most appealing in your budget to me, but I have not seen a home by Belclaire. I also tend to agree with your assessment of Darling and Shaddock.

Toll Brothers used to offer a true custom home in your price range, but now you'd be hard pressed to find that under $600k, unless you buy a used home. If you expand your search to Allen and McKinney, I think you'll find your choices for lot sizes will improve by quite a bit, Frisco is generally known for having some of the smallest lots around.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:41 AM

40,919 posts, read 48,840,861 times
This price range is not true luxury homes but with that said...

With the builders you've listed... Highland / Huntington, Darling and Drees are my top 3. Overall great service and quality.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:20 AM

227 posts, read 526,610 times
True! Homes in that price range are not real custom luxury properties. However, Highland/Huntington & Drees are solid builders. I don't know if KHOV offer same quality but they bought Goodman homes who were great builders.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:58 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,153,489 times
If you're really interested in the Tribute make sure you are okay with the schools, which I believe is Little Elm ISD. I don't think it's a horrible school district, but why choose a neighborhood in that district when neighborhoods in Frisco ISD are so close by?

Are you deadset on a new build? You can get a lot more for your money if you buy a house that's just a few years old and there are plenty of neighborhoods in the area that have houses built by the builders you listed. The neighborhood next to mine has some houses in your price range that are a few years old and I know Huntington built in there.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:06 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,195,726 times
Belclaire is a custom builder and they do indeed build some really nice homes with different architecture with the hefty price tag. They are part of the Castle Hills Developer Bright Company. They have built some homes there in Enchanted Hills and the rest of the community.

Have you looked at Newman Village in Frisco, Belclaire is there? They are also part of the few builders that will be building in Phillips Creek Ranch. That is the next premier community of Frisco.

Naima

If you were to use Drees and their "build on your lot" program, you would get the same result.

Last edited by nsumner; 01-15-2013 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: Confused Tribute with Tucker Hill

Old 01-15-2013, 02:09 PM

7,885 posts, read 11,320,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
This price range is not true luxury homes but with that said...

With the builders you've listed... Highland / Huntington, Darling and Drees are my top 3. Overall great service and quality.
I believe one of the big national builders purchased Darling recently so keep an eye out for changes in their approach as the owners puts his mark on them as too many like to do with great smaller family builders they acquire. Maybe this one will be different but I somehow doubt it

Old 01-15-2013, 11:06 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,195,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I believe one of the big national builders purchased Darling recently so keep an eye out for changes in their approach as the owners puts his mark on them as too many like to do with great smaller family builders they acquire. Maybe this one will be different but I somehow doubt it
You're correct, Taylor Morrison purchased Darling in December. TM build in Austin and Houston but based in AZ so we're not familiar with them in DFW. Darling is still going to operate under their own name and I am told that business will be as usual, so expect the same excellent quality and service from them.

Naima

Old 01-16-2013, 11:07 AM

7,885 posts, read 11,320,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
You're correct, Taylor Morrison purchased Darling in December. TM build in Austin and Houston but based in AZ so we're not familiar with them in DFW. Darling is still going to operate under their own name and I am told that business will be as usual, so expect the same excellent quality and service from them.

Naima
Taylor Morrison is a good builder in Houston. I helped sell a home builder in Houston which had a great reputation to huge national builder...they started out the same way you heard on Darling but they usually plan to transition the builder to their approach over a few years at the most and faster if the builder isnt as well known and respected before bought. What else would they say was there plan upon buying a good name builder other than what they said....just keep an eye on them is my experience to watch for changes...some maybe ok others less so.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:07 AM

4 posts, read 17,451 times
Semi-Custom then... I'm not looking to design/build - I've found in my 20 years in real estate those are the strangest floor plans and the reason production builders are more successful is because they've found what works and allows you to tweak it to your tastes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas