Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2013, 11:57 AM

4 posts, read 8,407 times

Advertisements

Hello, I intend on moving to Arlington Texas some time in March. I'm moving in with my Aunt - who's going to be moving, so idk where we'll be living, but it MIGHT be in Mansfield ISD.

If you can, please answer the following questions:
  1. Is 20 years old enough to own a gas powered scooter?
  2. How fast do gas powered scooters go?
  3. Where is a recommended place for getting them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 12:35 AM

438 posts, read 1,777,711 times
From what I remember for 50cc/under you can ride with a normal DL. Bikes over 50cc or with a top speed > 30mph will need a motorcycle license.

You can probably get a functional/ugly 50cc scooter off craigslist for a few hundred bucks if you look long/hard enough.New ones will be surprisingly expensive.

There are Chinese scoots out there for 1/3 - 1/2 price of the big names, but these are probably more suited to folks willing to read forums and tinker rather than set-it-and-forget it first timers.

If you are zipping to work/home/UTA you might be a candidate for an electric scooter. If you do go this route, do yourself a favor and budget another $100 for a Really Good Charger. Most are 24v, and both BatteryMINDer (my favorite) and BatteryTender make good ones that will get max life and capacity out of your batts.

Hey, almost forgot electric bikes. eZip makes some functional (but plain and unsexy) models that work fine. No license required, ~$400 new off eBay/amazon/target, etc. I bought one used in Arlington for $75, but it needed batts (another !$50 off eBay). These work best as "pedal assist": you pedal but the electric motor boosts (significantly). Works as a normal if somewhat heavy bike if you deplete or slide out the batts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas