Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2013, 07:52 PM

400 posts, read 366,580 times

Advertisements

I know downtown plano is 75074 and it is rather old. I've been to 75093 and everything is new and more pricey. What about this zipcode? Is there a lot of crime, is it the shady part of town? Thanks to all who answer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 08:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,896 times
My husband and I bought a $200k home in this zipcode a year ago. It's been wonderful. It's quiet, friendly- no need to worry about crime. We know our neighbors on both sides.. 4 neighbors in.. and people look out for each other here. We replaced a retired couple, along with the couple in their late 20s next to us. Seems to be a good mix of young and old. I actually went to Plano West and my parents still live on the West side, but I would say if your looking for a decent price home in a good school district with shopping all around you've found the right spot here.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:45 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,557,784 times
Used to live in that zip code, near Parker and Coit. Nice area! Homes are a bit older (home in the 70s, 80s), but well-maintained for the most part. Super convenient to everything. Only complaint I really had was that there weren't as many young kids in my neighborhood as I would have liked, but that could have also been just my street and the streets nearby. Quite a number of good neighborhood choices in that area though...most are kept up well, though a quick drive through will help you rule out the few that are a bit more run down. All in all, a good area to be in

Old 01-19-2013, 10:07 PM

323 posts, read 633,471 times
Nice area, older homes, established & tree lined neighborhoods, friendly neighbors, good schools, good location, dining & shopping options, not high end, reasonable prices.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,863 times
I've bought a home in the center of 75075 about 5 years ago after an exhaustive search around the Bush/75 area. Overall it's a very safe and comfortable. There's a little of the suburban mischief (car break-in and the like) but in the central area of Plano I've never felt the slightest bit uncomfortable or intimidated by a stranger. Depending on the block, the homes are usually early 1970's and have been kept up pretty well. Neighborhoods used to have a lot of the original owners but over the last few years they've been moving on as they get too old to keep up a house so you see more families with kids.

It has good highway access and within 10 min to grocery stores, Walmart, an older mall with your basic stores, a bunch of little local restaurants, a growing group of businesses (Dell, FedEx, TI, AT&T), and The University of Texas at Dallas.

Home prices are incredibly reasonable and stable throughout the crazy market changes. Great place for a family.

Downsides: It's boring and other typical suburban North Texas things such as not pedestrian friendly and poor access to public transportation. That's about the worst I can say.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:58 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,927,150 times
+1 on all the previous posts.

It's not shiny and new, and your neighbor might repair plumbing, be a policeman or teacher, or work at a cubicle farm, rather than hang out at "the club" negotiating deals. But if your budget maxes out at or below $250K, it's a great option.

I don't know where the OP got the idea that 75075 is shady or full of crime. No, it's not full of doctors, lawyers, and execs, like 75093. It just has a bunch of ordinary people with ordinary incomes. You don't become a thug just because your income is below 6-figures. It still takes some coin to buy and maintain a $150K-$200K house.

As I've posted before, the concept that the Plano West zone is the only decent place to live in Plano is incorrect, and this ZIP is Exhibit A.

The 75075 elementaries are uniformly excellent. Also, that area is "over-schooled", due to the aging of the population. That means there's a school within walking distance of almost every house, and the schools have enrollments that are 20-30% smaller than the westside equivalents.

Did I mention you can buy a 3BR rambler for less than $200K?

Old 01-20-2013, 10:37 AM

419 posts, read 553,360 times
75074 extends quite a ways north of downtown, north of Oak Point Nature Preserve. The area around Oak Point Nature preserve, specially east of Jupiter/Spring Creek/Shiloh is nice and quiet. Very little crime. Homes range from brand new construction (Timberbrook and Glenwood) to 30 year+. Homes in the 75075 area seem a little older (for the most part) but we have been looking at homes in this area too. Some of the elementary schools arent as well regarded as in other parts of Plano so just do your research if that's a concern.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:45 PM

447 posts, read 1,849,817 times
I bought a cozy 4 bedroom home in 75075 almost 2 years ago as a recently divorced mom of 3, and love it. It's safe, convenient to everything, I have a backyard pool for my kids, and I can pay all my bills on my teacher salary. I have no complaints and would do it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: