Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 08:14 PM

1 posts, read 3,072 times

Advertisements

I've been looking for that book too. I remember the first chapter was about Obet and Kara from the Pacific Islands, then Pedro and Maria from Ecuador, and then Alice and Andy from Alaska. Can't remember the rest. We used it in 6th grade Social Studies in the Dallas Independent School District in 1967-68 and my sister used it a couple of years later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 09:46 AM

3 posts, read 15,870 times
Thanks to all who helped me on this one. I found the book, "At Home Around the World", and it is all due to the help from everyone on this board. You're all the best. I read my favorites sections the other night and it is still a great book. No wonder I and others remember it. A thousand thanks to all of you.

PS - It is blue!!! My memory isn't completely shot.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,907 times
Wow: I may have been searching for the same textbook for years. I remember geography or social studies. Best I can recall it was fourth grade, 1959-60, Mrs Minter's class, including units on China and Brazil. I was in Houston, Spring Branch district, Shadow Oaks elementary, at the time. However, I have Dallas memories too, having attended Victor H Hexter and Lake Highlands elementary schools in the same end of town as Casa View.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelstarrs View Post
Does anyone remember a 3rd grade geography book about a family (maybe the Millers) exploring the US with a travel trailer? Would love to know the name of the book or series.
Travelstarrs, Did you find that book? I lived in GA and was in 3rd grade in 1964. One day I was describing that story about the trailer to a friend who lived in New Jersey and they had had the same book! I'd love to find a copy and buy it for her. I remember the drawing of that trailer so vividly and wanted to travel in a trailer all my life because of that book. Can anyone help us out with the title?

Old 01-23-2018, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,794 times
I'm looking for a world geography book around 1960's. I think was used in the 4th grade. Maybe gray and had a picture of the Matterhorn on inside cover it was used at Fayetteville, IN THANK YOU

Old 01-24-2018, 10:35 AM

1,447 posts, read 1,484,640 times
You might check out 1/2 priced books.
If they don't have a copy, maybe they could suggest a place to look.

Another avenue might be to see if there is some kind of teacher networking group in the area of retired teachers.

Old 07-31-2019, 05:27 AM

1 posts, read 2,468 times
Default 5th grade book

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSLM View Post
I know this is a long shot, but my considerable google skills are failing me. I went to Casa View Elementary School in the 1960s. I remember a Social Studies book I had around 5th grade (1965) that told about the life of kids in different countries. I don't remember exactly what countries, but there was a chapter about kids from a tropical setting and another with kids from somewhere like Alaska - maybe Inuits (Eskimos back then). I don't know if I'm right, but I remember the book being blue. Does anyone happen to remember this book from elementary school? I have fond memories of the textbook and wish I could find a copy, but without a name I'm stymied.

Thanks to all - Laurie
I think we are all looking fr the same book. The one we used was yellow and had characters for each region. I remember 2 of them were Pimwe of the Rainforest and Susan of the Wheatfields. It may have been either Scholastic or Mcraw Hill. If you find it, please let me know. I would like a copy too. Thanks.

Nickigirl

Old 07-31-2019, 06:11 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,455,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickigirl212 View Post
I think we are all looking fr the same book. The one we used was yellow and had characters for each region. I remember 2 of them were Pimwe of the Rainforest and Susan of the Wheatfields. It may have been either Scholastic or Mcraw Hill. If you find it, please let me know. I would like a copy too. Thanks.

Nickigirl
See below quote. Mystery was solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSLM View Post
Thanks to all who helped me on this one. I found the book, "At Home Around the World", and it is all due to the help from everyone on this board. You're all the best. I read my favorites sections the other night and it is still a great book. No wonder I and others remember it. A thousand thanks to all of you.

PS - It is blue!!! My memory isn't completely shot.

Old 07-31-2019, 06:46 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,056,817 times
I know this is an old thread but I did not see it first time around - and this is really cool that you were able to locate the book!

Old 05-24-2020, 10:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayGalGA View Post
Travelstarrs, Did you find that book? I lived in GA and was in 3rd grade in 1964. One day I was describing that story about the trailer to a friend who lived in New Jersey and they had had the same book! I'd love to find a copy and buy it for her. I remember the drawing of that trailer so vividly and wanted to travel in a trailer all my life because of that book. Can anyone help us out with the title?
I am looking for this 3rd grade social studies book too. I had this book in the 1967-1968 school year. I would love to know the title and publisher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas