Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 05:34 PM

483 posts, read 886,448 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I am moving to the Dallas area in January, and I am in search of some very nice, upscale apartments in a safe area. I will be working downtown at the Hyatt Regency Reunion Center, so unfortunately it looks like I will have a commute. I prefer a newer, upscale, safe, suburban type community that, at the same time, offers plenty of restaurants, sports bars, etc. I am not much for living downtown where one area may be safe, then walk 2 blocks and it gets rough. I have searched the internet and found many upscale apartments, but most of them got bad reviews talking of poor management and crime issues, even far north. I like AMLI on the Parkway (Rosemede at Midway near the Tollway), AMLI at Breckenridge (in Richardson, further but seems safer). Some areas in Plano, Lewisville, etc. I have ruled out the Wimberly on Horizon N. Pkwy. after reading about a violent shooting there. I am looking to go no further than 23-25 miles out. I am assuming that equates to a 1 hour commute each way? I hear the Tollway is an easier commute than 75 or the Stemmons. I've read up on the city quite a bit. I'd like the safest, newest, area with the shortest commute. (I know I guess I want it all!) I'm headed up there this weekend to check out the city. Any replies/help ASAP would be greatly appreciated. Coming from Mobile, crime is significantly higher than average here, but some things I read about Dallas were pretty scary. I have traveled all over and like the big cities, and I'm street smart, but when I come home I definitely want to feel safe. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2006, 07:53 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,146,916 times
Other than to offer my confirmation that the Tollway seems to have less traffic accidents that the Stemmons Fwy or Central Expressway (75). Traffic in the mornings is heavy on the Tollway headed south, but since I'm going north, I can not answer to commute times.

Old 10-04-2006, 07:58 AM

40 posts, read 201,107 times
I know you stated that you would like a surburban apartment, but if you lived in Uptown you would have a short commute and crime wouldn't be much of a factor; many of the buildings in this area are quite new and luxurious (just make sure you avoid The Mondrian at Cityplace). You'd also have a wide selection of restaurants and bars within walking distance from your apartment.

If you are looking for a suburban community, then Legacy Town Center in Plano would be a great fit. It's on the Tollway and Legacy, and it offers quite a few restaurants and bars within walking distance. In the west part of Plano, crime is pretty much non-existent, so if you're willing to make a 30-40 minute commute each way it's a great option.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:56 AM

Thanks for the responses! I will look online today at some Uptown apartments and see what the are like. I really like the Legacy Town Center area in Plano. It looks like mostly an office park, but I'm sure there are apartments around the area. I will definitely check out those areas this weekend. I like the suburban feel mostly.

What about the area between the LBJ and the George Bush just west of the Tollway...Rosemede Pkwy area? There are quite a few luxury apartments there right next to the Tollway, but I heard those neighborhoods are rough.

If I can commute from Plano to the reunion center in 40 min or less, thats definitely doable. I don't want a 1 hour plus commute everyday. I understand traffic conditions vary, but anything less than an hour on avg. is fine I suppose---that's life in the big city.

Old 10-04-2006, 09:33 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
I will offer this advice (I lived in apartments on Rosemeade YEARS ago when they were new as did my sister more recently and a good friend lives in the AMLI on Midway at Rosemeade now), a lot of the hurricane Katrina evacuees are being housed in that area. A friend that lives there now said it was so bad he now carries something w/ him at all times even just walking to and from his car. A few shootings have occured here. This area is full of LOTS of apartments. And I mean LOTS!!!!!!! I would not say the neighborhoods (single family homes) are "rough" as many were built to appeal to the more upper-middle home buyer. What has made the area mabye seem "rough" is the over abundance of apartments. They were offering TONS of specials because the area is so full of apartments. Some do accept Sec. 8 so ask when you call on them if they do (this is public assistance).

Yes, the Dallas North Tollway tends to be an easier commute during rush hour than 75-Central but Central is not as bad as Stemmons/I-35.

I would look also look in Addison around Addison Circle. Lots of apartments w/ the more urban feel w/ lots of restaurants and places nearby. Some you can even walk to. I would recommend this area over the Rosemeade/Midway area.

AMLI at Breckenridge in Richardson. Nice area that is really growing. More of the suburban feel than any of the others that you have mentioned. Real close to Hwy 190 aka the George Bush Turnpike (also a tollroad). Easy to get to just about anywhere in the Dallas area w/o living in the middle of it all.

Nothing around the LBJ/Tollway area near Valley View Mall that I would recommend.

I also like the Uptown area. Around McKinney Ave down around the Crescent Hotel and the AAC (American Airlines Center) are tons of apartments/condos and such. Lots of nice shops and restaurants. This is more of the urban feel. We are there all the time for games at the AAC and may eat around this area and we see lots of people out walking to eat or wherever. Yes, not far away is Little Mexico (that is what it is called) and an area of public housing. The city and the police have been doing a great job of keeping the area safe as they know it is in everyones best interest that the area prospers.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:32 PM

Wow, thank you for the advice; that is very helpful! That's what i was afraid of living around Rosemede....scratch that. I know exactly what you are talking about now and I want no part of that mess around there if that's the case. My coworker has family in Dallas and told me the crime has gotten worse after some of the Katrina evacuees moved there. I am only 180 miles from New Orleans, and I would NEVER live there!!!!!! I will look around Addison, Richardson, or Plano then. I might check out Uptown but I think I want to be further out. I'll deal with a 40 minute commute to live in a nice, safe area. Like I said I don't party alot even though I'm young and single....as long as there are some nice restaurants and bars in the area, that's fine. I can always go into the city on weekends if there are events going on.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:06 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
In Plano there are some apartments that are kind of the "downtown" feel around 15th St and Ave K in the Plano downtown area. There is a DART rail station right there and a few places to go to. Not a "lively" downtown area though. Go up 75-Central to around Renner Rd and then up to Hwy 190-George Bush Turnpike. If you go East on 190 there are some apartments on out that way but still give you quick access to 190. This is an area of a few apartments but mostly single family subdivisions and not the heavily concentrated areas of apartments.

Old 10-04-2006, 06:48 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,432,399 times
I just went through this search, so let me help you out. I'm moving out to Dallas from an upscale area of San Diego - and I've been a homeowner for 15+ years - so I am extremely picky about apartments. Looked at many of them and most seemed like, well, apartments.

However, a gem stood out....

Take a look at 'La Ventura' Apartments in West Plano. These are located in the heart of Willow Bend, which is a really nice area of Plano (Troy Aikmen lives here). Across from the Apartments are Mill+ homes and one of the best elementary schools in Plano (Centennial).

If you look on apartmentratings.com, you'll see that many others agree and ranked it the highest in Plano. Not cheap (I pay $800 for a 1Bdr on a short term lease), but you get what you pay for and their prices aren't much higher than the others.

Call the front office and ask for either Megan or Larry.

Again, I searched high and low and this one just happened to fit me perfectly, especially since I love the Willow Bend area (great place to jog by the way and shopping/eating rocks - right next to the Tollway as well).

Another spot I liked was McDermott place in Allen. It sits right next to Twin Creeks, so it is a nice family friendly area. I could not stay there because they only offered long term leases. It may also be a little far for your commute. Nice spot though....but La Ventura is in a nicer area (older apartment).

Old 10-05-2006, 09:55 AM

40 posts, read 201,107 times
I don't want to overload you, but I'll recommend 2 I lived in and 1 worth checking out.

Amli at Bishops Gate in Plano - My wife and I enjoyed it. Convenient location, lots of retail in area, very nice area...and although we couldn't afford them, they offer some very nice looking townhomes in the community.

Cross Creek at Grapevine Ranch in Grapevine - Our favorite apts we lived in. It's right across the street from Grapevine Mills Mall (which we hated), but our apt backed-up to a beautiful wooded area and is a few minutes from the lake. Central location, but part of your commute would be on 35 (Stemmons). All the apts have private entrances, so our 2nd story apt had stairs inside that led to the front door. It's been about 6 years, but we loved it when we lived there. Besides the mall, retail options are somewhat limited; although the area is experiencing quite a bit of growth. The Hilton Lakes is pretty close and I went there for drinks quite often.

Austin Ranch in The Colony - Real close to the tollway. It's more like a small city, than just a collection of apt buildings. Some of them have retail on bottom floor. I worked with some people that lived there and they enjoyed it. It probably has more of a suburban feel than Addison Circle or Legacy Town Center, but it's also not just a few buildings surrounded by a sea of parking lots.

Old 10-05-2006, 02:20 PM

702 posts, read 2,723,676 times
be sure to look into apartments in the Las Colinas part of Irving... lots of nice apartments overlooking the lake and the Champion trails
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas