Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 02:40 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been following this story? "This group," actually some guy down from NY, wants to shut down Central all the way up to McKinney for 10,000 participating cyclists event of sorts. I'm an avid cyclists in a couple of Dallas clubs but GEEZZZ I talked with some of the sponsors, some unbeknownst to them that they were listed as sponsors, and Mark Pettit of TXDOT, whom at the time didn't even know about it, but has since found out about the request, as stated in the second article. He doesn't see this happening, and the sponsor page has been pulled.

Group Wants Bicyclists To Take Over Central Expressway « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

The Man Who Wants to Shut Down Central for a 30-Mile Bike Ride Is "100 Percent" Sure He Has Approval. TxDOT Is Not. - Dallas - News - Unfair Park
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 02:55 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,559,658 times
I enjoy cycling. So does my husband. I also enjoy DRIVING ON THE HIGHWAY WHEN I NEED TO GET SOMEWHERE.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:18 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Has he seen what happened in Los Angeles when they had "carmageddon" due to road construction? Lets not have a repeat of that here in DFW for a bike ride!!

Old 01-25-2013, 03:23 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Has anyone been following this story? "This group," actually some guy down from NY, wants to shut down Central all the way up to McKinney for 10,000 participating cyclists event of sorts. I'm an avid cyclists in a couple of Dallas clubs but GEEZZZ I talked with some of the sponsors, some unbeknownst to them that they were listed as sponsors, and Mark Pettit of TXDOT, whom at the time didn't even know about it, but has since found out about the request, as stated in the second article. He doesn't see this happening, and the sponsor page has been pulled.

Group Wants Bicyclists To Take Over Central Expressway « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

The Man Who Wants to Shut Down Central for a 30-Mile Bike Ride Is "100 Percent" Sure He Has Approval. TxDOT Is Not. - Dallas - News - Unfair Park
I've got no problem with it... shut it down from say 3am to 4 am and let them have at it.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:46 PM

112 posts, read 314,820 times
I really can't see this happening! Especially when they could go all the way up on Greenville. Changes names a couple times through the northern suburbs but it's still a good route all the way to McKinney!

Old 01-25-2013, 03:51 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,547,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I've got no problem with it... shut it down from say 3am to 4 am and let them have at it.
Hey, why not??

Old 01-25-2013, 03:59 PM

180 posts, read 479,658 times
Ugh. I'm a cyclist as well, but this is a terrible idea and will make the general population HATE us more (if that was possible in Dallas).

Old 01-25-2013, 04:04 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,762,455 times
To the man who's only tool is a hammer, everything is a nail. I'm all for making a city more friendly to cyclists and even friendlier to pedestrians, but this is just a bad PR move and makes cyclists look silly. That's a shame. It's like agreeing with PETA on extreme testing on chimps and then having them spray paint socialites wearing fur - that just set the cause of the chimps back a decade.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:07 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flpyrner View Post
Ugh. I'm a cyclist as well, but this is a terrible idea and will make the general population HATE us more (if that was possible in Dallas).
There were people on my club's forum already signing up for this. After I called TXDOT and some of the sponsors, I pretty much put the Kabosh on it. I at first thought they were buying into a hoax but this guy is actually visiting LBSs and has requests filed, not that it's going to go anywhere. I still can't get on the sponsor's page. It was filled with all the cities logos, RBM, Performance, Cadence Cyclery of McKinney. Now the page is gone.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:38 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 3 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,600,682 times
I vote hoax. Even so, this definitely hurts the image of bikers. If you're gonna pull a hoax, at least make sure nobody's self or reputation gets smeared on account of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas