Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2013, 10:34 PM

3 posts, read 4,522 times

Advertisements

Hi, I will be moving to the Dallas Fort Worth area next year. I'm looking for an area where professionals live and a place where it's easy to meet single men between 38-40's. I'm not interested in locating somewhere that is totally family oriented.--But I want to live in a safe place. I would like to live in a town house or apartment. I'm not searching to buy a house. My job search (teacher/assistant principal) will be centered around the location I choose. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Dray4141; 01-26-2013 at 10:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 06:38 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Get the job first and then decide where to live. With Texas' recent education cuts, any job in that field is going to be a rare find.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:22 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,745 times
The areas where you might meet single professional men would be Uptown (though a lot of the bars there skew younger, there are places like Sambuca, Dragonfly at Hotel ZaZa, Rattlesnake Bar at the Ritz-Carlton with a more mature clientele), downtown, Addison, Las Colinas, and the Shops at Legacy area of Plano. These are areas with lots of condos/townhouses/apartments where lots of professionals and recent transplants reside. But these are all over the map geographically so it all depends on where you're going to be working. You don't want a long commute if you can help it.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:53 AM

227 posts, read 529,105 times
You need to find a job first as teaching jobs are few and have a tough competition. Once you know which district then decide where to live or commute will leave little time to meet 38-40 years old. Just a friendly advice broaden age pool a bit and you'll have a better chance to find right Mr Right.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:35 AM

3 posts, read 4,522 times
Thank you all for your comments. I guess I haven't thought about the job cuts. I'm located in a town that didn't go through job cuts in education. My current town is very dry with no entertainment and the men that are available are all very young. I'm 41 so I don't want to babysit a young kid. Could anyone tell me great school districts in the area. I'm teaching at a school that has 95% reduced lunch and students perform low academically. I don't mind working with the low SES students at all. If I'm going to be in this type of teaching environment though-I want a good district that is supportive of their teachers. Any information will help.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:15 PM

106 posts, read 284,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dray4141 View Post
Thank you all for your comments. I guess I haven't thought about the job cuts. I'm located in a town that didn't go through job cuts in education. My current town is very dry with no entertainment and the men that are available are all very young. I'm 41 so I don't want to babysit a young kid. Could anyone tell me great school districts in the area. I'm teaching at a school that has 95% reduced lunch and students perform low academically. I don't mind working with the low SES students at all. If I'm going to be in this type of teaching environment though-I want a good district that is supportive of their teachers. Any information will help.

Plano ISD, Richardson ISD and South Lake ISD are all dallas suburbs that have some of the best public schools IN THE COUNTRY. Stay away from ISD's in south Dallas county (and Dallas ISD itself, unless you want to teach in an arts magnate)

Old 02-01-2013, 01:16 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,105,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xen0blue View Post
Plano ISD, Richardson ISD and South Lake ISD are all dallas suburbs that have some of the best public schools IN THE COUNTRY. Stay away from ISD's in south Dallas county (and Dallas ISD itself, unless you want to teach in an arts magnate)
To Dray4141: Please, take that last sentence with a grain of salt. For years, this person occasionally drops in to post negative comments and make broad generalizations about southern suburbs of Dallas County. Keep in mind that we are talking about an area of over 170,000 residents that includes multiple cities, school districts, and neighborhoods.

He portrays any place that happens to be located south of the Trinity River, which pretty much splits Dallas County in half, as a uniformly 'bad' area. That isn't true. Once he is done bashing those areas, there is usually an attempt to steer the original poster to the so-called 'good' areas north of the Trinity River (North Dallas and the northern suburbs). That isn't true either. Great neighborhoods and their sketchy counterparts can be found on either side of the Trinity River, in Dallas proper and the suburbs.

I truly apologize for temporarily interrupting your thread, but I refuse to sit back and let distorted blanket statements like the one above go unchallenged or be perceived as true. This has been going on for five years, so I hope you can understand my frustration.

I wish you all the best in your job search and hope you enjoy the area once you get settled.

Last edited by Acntx; 02-01-2013 at 01:29 AM..

Old 02-01-2013, 02:20 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,486,572 times
You probably won't get the fun vibrant neighborhood and good school zone in one area. A commute of some kind is probably inevitable. If your personal/dating life is your highest priority (IMO it should be) then move to Dallas and commute. However, there are some great schools in DISD (primarily the elementary schools), so you may not have a long commute. As a rule, a reverse commute coming from Dallas outward is better than driving in. There are many great private schools in Dallas, and HPISD is arguably the best school district in Texas, and it is surrounded by Dallas in the park cities.

Look up the following neighborhoods:

Uptown: Uptown - You + Dallas
Oak Lawn/Turtle Creek: Lower Oak Lawn - You + Dallas

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 02-01-2013 at 03:01 AM..

Old 02-01-2013, 10:15 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,784,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xen0blue View Post
You mean Southlake Carroll ISD. It bothers me when people split the name into two words. It also makes me wonder just how much they know about the area...

Anyways, try the schools mentioned above. Also consider Highland Park ISD, Grapevine-Colleyville ISD, Northwest ISD, and Keller ISD. They are all good, however Carroll and Highland Park are the best in the Metroplex.

Personally, I would steer clear of Plano ISD and Frisco ISD only because of the busyness and population of the two suburbs. If you don't mind traffic, then there's really nothing to worry about since they're both good. Hope this helps and good luck with your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas