Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 10:43 PM

4 posts, read 4,921 times

Advertisements

We will have to look more into Grand Peninsula/Lake Ridge areas a little further west of the 35E area. We did drive through Red Oak/Desoto and although it was a close commute- it wasnt exactly what we were looking for. It is so hard to know which areas really aren't great vs. what areas just get an undeserved bad reputation. What about a Mansfield address just outside of Grand Peninsula in Bankston Meadows using Cora Spencer Elementary, Jones Middle, and the new Lake Ridge HS? I've heard the area around there is beautiful but was lead to believe the schools weren't acceptable. I'd hate to rule out a good area with a much better commute on a blanket statement covering everything not in a northern suburb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 12:33 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,104,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKQM View Post
We will have to look more into Grand Peninsula/Lake Ridge areas a little further west of the 35E area. We did drive through Red Oak/Desoto and although it was a close commute- it wasnt exactly what we were looking for. It is so hard to know which areas really aren't great vs. what areas just get an undeserved bad reputation. What about a Mansfield address just outside of Grand Peninsula in Bankston Meadows using Cora Spencer Elementary, Jones Middle, and the new Lake Ridge HS? I've heard the area around there is beautiful but was lead to believe the schools weren't acceptable. I'd hate to rule out a good area with a much better commute on a blanket statement covering everything not in a northern suburb.
To be completely honest, out of all of the school districts I mentioned, I know the least about Mansfield ISD. I had to use Mansfield ISD's attendance zones map and another map of the city of Grand Prairie's boundaries to locate the schools that served the area. Spencer Elementary seems to be performing well. Under the old accountability system, middle and high schools were judged on other measures besides academic scores (such as dropout/completion rates), which is one the reasons why those campuses are typically rated lower than their elementary counterparts. Even though Jones Middle received an "Academically Acceptable" rating, the school missed the "Recognized" rating because two sub-groups out of 25 used to determine the rating performed slightly lower than the criteria needed for the higher rating. A bit confusing isn't it? I will say that Jones is a highly-diverse campus and appears to good overall. That's just my opinion, however. Since Lake Ridge opened this year, it hasn't really had time develop a reputation. I don't know which high schools served that area in previous years.

Since you expressed interest in that area, you should definitely visit to get a better feel for it. When I was house hunting back in 2006, we looked at around 30 properties in several areas before finding our home.

I hope this helps.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:34 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
What about Red Oak and DeSoto did you not like? That might help us suggest somewhere that has what you want.

If you are wanting a more rural feel, look into Ovilla and Ferris down I45.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:36 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Google times are not accurate in DFW traffic.
I completely agree! Google grossly underestimates traffic time!

Rockwall is too far away, but Forney might be a good option. It's on the south end of Lake Ray Hubbard and has experienced rapid growth in the last decade.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:46 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
Friends used Merrywood private school in Duncanville. Loved it.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:07 AM

743 posts, read 1,320,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKQM View Post

Who are you talking to that has lead you to believe that schools in Murphy of all places are better than Cedar Hill? That just isn't true. That's Wylie schools, yes?

Old 01-29-2013, 10:52 AM

3,835 posts, read 4,441,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
Who are you talking to that has lead you to believe that schools in Murphy of all places are better than Cedar Hill? That just isn't true. That's Wylie schools, yes?

Yes and No. The east side of Murphy is zoned to Wylie ISD, which is just ok in my opinion. Not terrible, but nothing to write home about either. Now the western parts of Murphy are zoned to Plano ISD...And $300K would be the lowest price you could get for a 4 bedroom 2.5 bath, 3,000+ sq ft home under 5 years old. Dont know if those are the parameters that the OP has in mind or not.

In answer to the question, Murphy would be a crappy drive to the VA. In theory, the southern suburbs (Cedar Hill, Lancaster, DeSoto, etc) would be the best location, yet I haven't heard wonderful things about the school districts either I'm sorry to say. I know a few people who live down there who would gladly move to the northern suburbs but work downtown so rule it out. Others use charter and private schools. Yes there are some that bite the bullet and send their kids to public school, but again, I get the impression that it's a case of making do with what's available rather than any gushing love of the education provided. Interestingly, out of all the rankings provided by someone above me, only 1 or 2 middle and higher schools made the recognized/exemplary ratings for all the districts COMBINED. Pretty telling if you ask me.

That being said, the OP should also recognize that being in a northern suburb does not automatically guarantee great schools. Plenty of sub par schools in all the northern suburbs which would drive you crazy if you live there with the horrible commute and STILL have bad schools. So tread carefully. Do lots of research. Good luck.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:34 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
Close family member lives in Midlothian. Loves the schools! Her kids are thriving there. Midlothian has gotten a lot of press about the air quality, so that requires looking into. I have been told those issues are resolved and many of the newer sections which are farther out are not affected by the concrete factories along the highway.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:22 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,104,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Yes and No. The east side of Murphy is zoned to Wylie ISD, which is just ok in my opinion. Not terrible, but nothing to write home about either. Now the western parts of Murphy are zoned to Plano ISD...And $300K would be the lowest price you could get for a 4 bedroom 2.5 bath, 3,000+ sq ft home under 5 years old. Dont know if those are the parameters that the OP has in mind or not.

In answer to the question, Murphy would be a crappy drive to the VA. In theory, the southern suburbs (Cedar Hill, Lancaster, DeSoto, etc) would be the best location, yet I haven't heard wonderful things about the school districts either I'm sorry to say. I know a few people who live down there who would gladly move to the northern suburbs but work downtown so rule it out. Others use charter and private schools. Yes there are some that bite the bullet and send their kids to public school, but again, I get the impression that it's a case of making do with what's available rather than any gushing love of the education provided. Interestingly, out of all the rankings provided by someone above me, only 1 or 2 middle and higher schools made the recognized/exemplary ratings for all the districts COMBINED. Pretty telling if you ask me.

That being said, the OP should also recognize that being in a northern suburb does not automatically guarantee great schools. Plenty of sub par schools in all the northern suburbs which would drive you crazy if you live there with the horrible commute and STILL have bad schools. So tread carefully. Do lots of research. Good luck.
The bolded part of your comment is exactly what I was talking about in my earlier post. Schools in the southern suburbs are continuosly looked down on. It doesn't matter what those of us who were actually educated in these districts or have children in these schools who feel that they are receiving a quality education say, they are all viewed negatively. You rarely hear about the positive things taking place in thisarea's schools. Were you aware of Cedar Hill's Collegiate High School, DeSoto High's new College and Career Academy program, or the IB program offered at the elementary, middle, and high school level in Lancaster on this forum? Meanwhile, in the favored districts, we get a daily dose of each and everything they have to offer. The bottom line is that a highly-motivated student with involved parents will succeed regardless of what school they attend. You can live in a highly regarded district, but if a student doesn't choose to embrace the educational opportunities offered with parents who tolerate failure, the school's reputation and rating are completely useless.

Last edited by Acntx; 01-29-2013 at 01:50 PM..

Old 01-29-2013, 03:38 PM

4 posts, read 4,921 times
The issues I had with Red Oak/DeSoto were cosmetic. I didn't feel like this was somewhere I just would love to live. It didn't have that polished look I was looking for and from my experience to get from the nicer newer communities to the shopping/restaurants I had to drive through some not so nice areas.

Most of the information I have gotten about schools/desirable areas has been from this forum. It is a bit of a challenge to feel confident buying a home in an area that so many people have deemed undesirable and even unlivable. I worry about resale, education, quality of life... All of the research I have done online seems to be very biased toward the northern suburbs. Every time I saw someone looking for someplace to live, Plano and Frisco were immediately suggested no matter where the commute was to. I took this to mean that the south must be quite bad if commuting all that distance was the only option. I didn't assume in a northern suburb we'd automatically be in the best schools that Dallas had to offer, but I felt that was where more of the nicer communities were situated in close proximity. We live in an area now (not by choice) that has a mix of terrible areas, and I was trying to avoid living somewhere that would require me to drive through areas with rundown homes and shops to just get to the nearest Target.

My kids are not junior high or high school aged now and I don't know how long we will be in Dallas so the quality of those upper schools is more for resale value. For my own children I need a quality elementary school, and those seem to be as good as the neighborhoods they are located in/next to.

I am hoping I will be pleased with the Joe Pool area. I'm looking forward to finding a home and being confidant about the decision to raise our family there. It is very hard to move to a new city and wonder if you are looking in all the 'wrong' places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas