Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 09:39 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,484,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
There's no "technically" about it.

The median is the value that separates the top half of a data sample from the bottom half. The mean is the sum of the values in the sample divided by the number of values. Big difference!

I guess I see it a lot more in my line of work; I work with SQL Server and it has native support for calculating means (AVG() function) but has no native support for calculating medians...therefore I have to do it myself with a couple of pages of code. So I'm pretty familiar with the difference between the two.
Not to be persnickety, but if you actually read my first post, I say in the title "The median home price is $61,000 in Dallas". In my first line, I asked a question to show my disbelief in the Median home price in Dallas, I said: "Is that a typo?". I then made a completely different point, in a different sentence, and I said: "No way that is the average Home price is $61,000 in Dallas!"

Nowhere in there did I say say the median was the average...

Maybe you just skimmed over my punctuation marks, but I know the difference between MEAN and median. Thanks for the crash course anyway.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 01-30-2013 at 10:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 10:23 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,484,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I would guess that a boatload of houses are sold in south Dallas for less than $100k which drives the median down. The same number is referenced on Trulia here, and doesn't make much more sense. Not sure if they are including condos, etc. The $61k is apparently just for Dallas itself, not the suburbs.

Dallas average and median listing prices - Trulia.com
It's really strange. I saw that link too, but I guess it's accurate.

The AVERAGE(not median) listing price is $506,000 for this week

The overview:
Dallas, TX real estate overview - Trulia.com

Old 01-30-2013, 11:06 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
They tend to be pretty close given a normal distribution. And home prices are slightly skewed but not that much.
My point stands that they're not the same thing.

Quote:
True. You need to get a job working with R and analytics in a real RDBMS.
/ off topic
Yeah. I've worked with Oracle before. I don't care for it, and a lot of shops won't even implement it because its benefits relative to SQL Server don't justify the exponentially higher cost of implementation/maintenance. It has some neat whizz-bangy functionality and the pay is higher for Oracle work, but there is far more SQL Server work out there. If you're going to hitch your wagon to one RDBMS, this is not a bad one to choose. Plus...once you know its weaknesses, you can program around them. If you can't, then you suck as a programmer and don't have any business being in this industry.
/ on topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Not to be persnickety, but if you actually read my first post, I say in the title "The median home price is $61,000 in Dallas". In my first line, I asked a question to show my disbelief in the Median home price in Dallas, I said: "Is that a typo?". I then made a completely different point, in a different sentence, and I said: "No way that is the average Home price is $61,000 in Dallas!"

Nowhere in there did I say say the median was the average...

Maybe you just skimmed over my punctuation marks, but I know the difference between MEAN and median. Thanks for the crash course anyway.

I can read. Your thread title said 'median', then you said 'no way is that the average home price in Dallas'. I'm pointing out for everyone's edification that median and average are not the same thing. You may know that, but others may not. Don't take things so personally.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:28 PM

743 posts, read 1,320,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
It's really strange. I saw that link too, but I guess it's accurate.

The AVERAGE(not median) listing price is $506,000 for this week

The overview:
Dallas, TX real estate overview - Trulia.com

I believe this because real estate is not "a normal distribution"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
They tend to be pretty close given a normal distribution. And home prices are slightly skewed but not that much.
I think the $135,000,000.00 listing on Walnut Hill disagrees with you.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:19 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,488,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I would guess that a boatload of houses are sold in south Dallas for less than $100k which drives the median down. The same number is referenced on Trulia here, and doesn't make much more sense. Not sure if they are including condos, etc. The $61k is apparently just for Dallas itself, not the suburbs.

Dallas average and median listing prices - Trulia.com
I saw that on Trulia as well, but the article posted says Dallas-Ft.Worth, which says suburbs included to me. Anyone reading that article and thinking their going to move on down and find a decent house for around $61,000 is going to be sorely disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas