Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 08:21 AM

115 posts, read 194,005 times

Advertisements

What is the starting point for an offer on a house in today's market? Where do you start? Do you start with a low ball? What is considered a low ball offer here? How much is the average gap between asking price and the sold price? Do most sellers are asking a fair price or dream price?
Basically, I need to learn the negotiating etiquettes of your market before I officially start my house hunt? I know that comparables matter but just a big picture is needed. Muchas Gracias!

Old 01-30-2013, 08:31 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowyy View Post
What is the starting point for an offer on a house in today's market? Where do you start? Do you start with a low ball? What is considered a low ball offer here? How much is the average gap between asking price and the sold price? Do most sellers are asking a fair price or dream price?
Basically, I need to learn the negotiating etiquettes of your market before I officially start my house hunt? I know that comparables matter but just a big picture is needed. Muchas Gracias!
Too many variables to answer your question with anything other than 'it depends'. It varies from city to city, neighborhood to neighborhood.

In my neighborhood (Heights Park in Richardson), recent sales went for at or over asking price with multiple offers. It's a seller's market for sure.

I've also attended open houses in Prestonwood (far north Dallas) and old east Dallas; this was just in the last few weeks. All of those houses are off the market now. They sold FAST. A couple weren't even that nice, but most were pristine with asking prices at about the maximum per square foot for the area.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:59 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
You need a Realtor...

Old 01-30-2013, 09:10 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
The market is booming and it is no longer a buyers market. Many areas there is an almost a severe shortage of homes and they are going at near the list price to above list price with multiple offers.

Prices are up, inventory is low. So it depends on where you're looking and as mentioned above... You need a good Realtor who knows the market and will shoot straight with you.

You do need to be prepared to act quickly if you see a great home you love.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:11 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
The market is very local. In my neighborhood things are very negotiable and 3% below asking wouldn't be that unusual for an initial offer. We have homes $500K - $1.2M here and a great location but we are 20 minutes outside the city in an inferior school district and our homes are not historical/vintage, and most are not new either. So, it will depend on the neighborhood. You will only be in position to assess your strategy when you narrow down your search.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:16 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
The market is very local. In my neighborhood things are very negotiable and 3% below asking wouldn't be that unusual for an initial offer. We have homes $500K - $1.2M here and a great location but we are 20 minutes outside the city in an inferior school district and our homes are not historical/vintage, and most are not new either. So, it will depend on the neighborhood. You will only be in position to assess your strategy when you narrow down your search.
People talk about Location in RE but a bigger factor is school districts to the average family. Price does make a difference also. There is less demand for a $600k home than a $300k home except in areas like Southlake.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:51 AM

19,786 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowyy View Post

All of the following assumes a nice home in a nice part of town or better.....
Lowballing is a good way to get laughed at or have your car egged. It's happened to us twice. Once years ago while on vacation an offer was conveyed to us at 25% below our asking price. My realtor was laughing and said do you want to respond with a counter - we did at 50% over the asking price. 2.5 years ago in the process of selling our home in Plano, the market was fairly soft then, we received an offer that was to the dime 21% lower than our ask. We didn't respond - the same people made an offer at 20% below ask the next week. A few days later we made a deal to sell for right at 2.5% below ask. Our house was spectacular - condition, features, 200ft. from an excellent elementary school, close to the tollway etc. In the end we sold for more than I thought we would be able too - realtors are gold around here. In that case our realtor literally paid for herself so to speak and we sold fast.

I consider any offer 10% or greater below my ask to be illegitimate. Generally, I don't pay much attention to offers 5% off my ask.

As mentioned above without narrowing it down a lot - price, generally locations etc. it's tough to help much. Also I agree with the notion that school districts are crucial. AND please note that our school districts do not follow city boundaries.

Best of luck.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:53 AM

19,786 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
People talk about Location in RE but a bigger factor is school districts to the average family. Price does make a difference also. There is less demand for a $600k home than a $300k home except in areas like Southlake.
I agree with your broad point but wouldn't most people consider a home's serving school district and school track to be part of "location"?

Old 01-30-2013, 11:02 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
As others have said, 1) get a realtor who specializes in the part of DFW you want to live. Have them pull recent sold comps and trust that those are the market rates (ie, if $/SF is $100, you're delusional to think you're going to get a home for $60 or $80 or even $90/SF).

And 2) it really depends on the location. In much of central / east/ north Dallas (and suburbs north & northwest), the market is booming. Very low inventory on the market right now (as little as 2-3 months supply in some areas vs 6 months which is considered "healthy") and $/SF anywhere from 5-10% higher than spring 2012 prices. Of course, if you're looking somewhere rural or less desirable (ie, much of the DFW area south of I-30), you may have more negotiating room.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:15 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
As others have said, 1) get a realtor who specializes in the part of DFW you want to live. Have them pull recent sold comps and trust that those are the market rates (ie, if $/SF is $100, you're delusional to think you're going to get a home for $60 or $80 or even $90/SF).

And 2) it really depends on the location. In much of central / east/ north Dallas (and suburbs north & northwest), the market is booming. Very low inventory on the market right now (as little as 2-3 months supply in some areas vs 6 months which is considered "healthy") and $/SF anywhere from 5-10% higher than spring 2012 prices. Of course, if you're looking somewhere rural or less desirable (ie, much of the DFW area south of I-30), you may have more negotiating room.

Too true. I was thinking of selling and moving up the ladder but now I'm leaning towards not doing that since even though I'd probably get top dollar for my house as they are selling like hotcakes in my neighborhood, I'd then be over the buyer's barrel. I haven't found anything I like for a price I'd be willing to pay in the areas I've looked in. The houses at the comfortable end of my price range need work and the ones that I consider move-in ready (as in NO work necessary) are at the very top end. So I think I may just stay put and improve the property I have.

If you're a buyer in a desirable area, be prepared to suck it up and compete!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas