Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 12:14 PM

323 posts, read 634,665 times

Advertisements

I have heard from at least three families during HOA meet up that they were approached by acquaintances who are in market to let them know if some one here wants to sell. It seems that more people want to bypass agents. I don't know if its a new trend or this method is a byproduct of low inventory in West Plano.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 12:19 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,362,148 times
Realtors are blowing up my mailbox with solicitations; I've heard of some realtors 'casing' properties in Richardson by walking around the exteriors of homes during the day, though that is just anecdotal. I haven't seen this and I don't know for sure that it's happening.

I do know that inventory is very low in my area and realtors are desperate to get houses online for sale, but even though I had been considering moving I think I'm taking that off the table because I'm not liking what I'm seeing on the market and it's not a great time to be a buyer! I could sell my house very easily probably, but then I'd be in the same boat as all the other buyers out there...too many buyers, not enough houses.

I don't HAVE to move, so I'm staying put for now.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:32 PM

7,893 posts, read 11,444,120 times
Inventory is low in my W Plano area so I can see someone passively looking might ask an agent if they can find house with x, y and z in this neighborhood, see if anyone with that home might considering selling it. I've experienced realtor's knocking on ny door in energy corridor area of Houston asking if we were considering selling. The market is strong in isolated areas.... even in Tx... but its a good sign about the market getting healthier

Old 02-11-2013, 12:37 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,358,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bypass13 View Post
I have heard from at least three families during HOA meet up that they were approached by acquaintances who are in market to let them know if some one here wants to sell. It seems that more people want to bypass agents. I don't know if its a new trend or this method is a byproduct of low inventory in West Plano.
I don't think it's necessarily a sign that people want to bypass realtors, but rather that in the most desirable areas of DFW there is less than 2 months of inventory (and literally 1-2 week's worth of inventory at certain price points, like $900k-$1.1M in the Park Cities). People are probably just desperate to get a "jump" on any decent homes prior to them hitting the MLS, where there will be multiple offers and even those with "all cash, full price" offers in hand aren't able to get the house. Finding a home before it hits the market eliminates the competition, not necessarily the realtors.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:40 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,140,852 times
This is going on a bit in McKinney too, at least in my neighborhood. Not so much right now, since school has started back up for the semester, but around the holidays there were a lot of people searching for homes using unconventional methods. I'm sure it'll start up again this summer.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:44 PM

227 posts, read 530,037 times
I know it seems that I own a home I Manhattan not a Texas suburb. We are used to get one or two offers every day to sell or buy or both from realtors in mail and email boxes but real buyers approaching potential sellers is a new thing. I haven't received an offer myself but two houses on our street with residents who just sent kids to college have been asked by people in their circles to check with them before going on MLS.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:20 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,282,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Finding a home before it hits the market eliminates the competition, not necessarily the realtors.
Exactly!

FYI: We maybe interested in a home near MIS this summer if anyone knows of someone thinking about selling.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:01 PM

497 posts, read 698,421 times
Inventory is painfully low - at least from a buyer's perspective. I'm in the market for a home and actually placed an offer on one today. Sadly, my offer is not the only one on the table - and the property has only been on the market for a week. I don't think it's a desire to bypass an agent but to be the first to make an offer.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:14 PM

297 posts, read 513,617 times
That has been going on for decades. My own mother went up to doors to asked if the owners were interested in selling when they were looking back in the late 70's. Realtors have done it as well but don't do the door-to-door any longer due to safety. Most doing this probably already have a realtor. They just know how competitive it is and if they can get a slight edge then they will do such.

I've been noticing a lot more mailers from area realtors. My theory has always been that everything is for sale. I've known properties that have sold all because someone called and inquired. We put the bug in a neighbors ear 2 years ago at our lake property. Told him if he is ever interested in selling we would be very interested. As for our house, if someone knocks on the door with the right price, just let me grab the dogs, kids and toothbrush and it is yours.

There is only 1 house for sale in our neighborhood. Been on the market for a few months now. No pool and in this price point that hurts. People tend to want a pool at the higher price points. House next door to that one went on the market and sold within 2 weeks, has a pool. In surrounding neighborhoods there is not much on the market either.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:30 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,913,466 times
What price points are these homes so low in inventory? Seems like there is plenty to be had at the 400k+ mark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas