Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 08:16 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
I generally always agree with you, but here I strongly disagree. The YMCA programs are great, but the facility itself is just a dump. I was a member there for a number of years, but it always pissed me off that, although it raised the most money for dfw YMCA programs, the facility was closer to a run down 24 hour fitness. For example, there is a strict 30 minute timeline for treadmills because there are not enough. Likewise, don't look for a gym to shoot hoops, you won't find it. I have not tracked the latest on YMCA expansion, but the place has a ton of issues (like no parking). I am much happier at the town north YMCA.
Honestly, we only joined the Park City Y for the kid programs and have rarely sat foot in the facility. All our games and practices take place through HPISD. We generally use the T.Boone Pickens facility since we spend a lot of time downtown. The T.Boon Pickens facility is far from run down. Now the Park City Y is working on negotiations with HP/UP to renovate it's facility. The Y and HP/UP has gone several rounds over their renovation plans but I think it's getting closer to finalizing a plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 08:37 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,298,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Honestly, we only joined the Park City Y for the kid programs and have rarely sat foot in the facility. All our games and practices take place through HPISD. We generally use the T.Boone Pickens facility since we spend a lot of time downtown. The T.Boon Pickens facility is far from run down. Now the Park City Y is working on negotiations with HP/UP to renovate it's facility. The Y and HP/UP has gone several rounds over their renovation plans but I think it's getting closer to finalizing a plan.
They have been working on plans for ten years. Almost all of the other YMCA locations are great, and the people and programs at the park cities YMCA are great, but the facility sux worse than the utility company in charge of the superdome. .

Old 02-03-2013, 08:50 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,863 times
Quote:
They have been working on plans for ten years. Almost all of the other YMCA locations are great, and the people and programs at the park cities YMCA are great, but the facility sux worse than the utility company in charge of the superdome. .
Ya, from what I've seen, the Park Cities facility is dated. They face a lot of resistance from surrounding neighbors making it difficult to renovate it. The City and the Y finally reached an agreement recently...and then started retalks and took a break over the holidays lol

Old 02-03-2013, 09:45 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
I generally always agree with you, but here I strongly disagree. The YMCA programs are great, but the facility itself is just a dump. I was a member there for a number of years, but it always pissed me off that, although it raised the most money for dfw YMCA programs, the facility was closer to a run down 24 hour fitness. For example, there is a strict 30 minute timeline for treadmills because there are not enough. Likewise, don't look for a gym to shoot hoops, you won't find it. I have not tracked the latest on YMCA expansion, but the place has a ton of issues (like no parking). I am much happier at the town north YMCA.
Love Town North! I wish it would work for the OP but it doesn't sound like it. Parking is an issue there at times, though!

Old 02-04-2013, 11:42 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
I grew up at the East Dallas Y on Worth Street. It has a wonderful history. Kids who grew up at the Y went on to work and volunteer there. Everyone participates in the fund drive each year - it's expected and appreciated. Very small town!

The original Y was converted back to its original use as a mansion/estate and the facility moved to a former 'big-box' store on Gaston near the White Rock Lake spillway - this was seen as quite an improvement but I wasn't that happy about it - however someone made a huge donation to renovate the facility and make it happen - that was the impetus.

The reason they are in the temporary quarters is because Lincoln Property bought the shopping center and several properties nearby for a large redevelopment.

If you would like to read about the Y that is going to be constructed (supposed to open mid-2014), see: White Rock YMCA lays out plans for Lakewood neighbors | Advocate Magazine

Coming from Austin, I think you will like Lakewood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas