U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 12:57 AM

2,244 posts, read 2,845,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
Authentic implies authentic Mexican. Tex Mex is a hybrid of gringo and Mexican and not usually associated with the term "authentic".
Correct, I agree that traditional Mexican food is different, but I still think Tex-Mex cuisine can be "authentic" or "non-authentic".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 01:00 AM

1,637 posts, read 3,807,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Correct, I agree that traditional Mexican food is different, but I still think Tex-Mex cuisine can be "authentic" or "non-authentic".
I don't follow? What is authentic tex mex vs. non?

Old 02-09-2013, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Fajitas or a chimichanga at taco bueno vs what I get at Mia's. A place that has salsa that tastes like ketchup.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:06 AM

9,424 posts, read 11,821,031 times
Quote:
Of course.
The OP (who has disappeared!) is asking for authentic and I'm not sure if he means authentic Mexican or Tex-Mex. He's from Chicago, so you can never tell. For what it's worth, I've never heard the term "Hispanic food".

Old 02-09-2013, 01:08 AM

9,424 posts, read 11,821,031 times
Quote:
On the Border! Blech. Went to one a couple of years back and can't believe how bad it is now.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
The OP (who has disappeared!) is asking for authentic and I'm not sure if he means authentic Mexican or Tex-Mex. He's from Chicago, so you can never tell. For what it's worth, I've never heard the term "Hispanic food".
I agree. I've actually heard from a few Chicago transplants that Chicago has better traditional Mexican food than Dallas, but they prefer the Tex-Mex here over the the traditional Mexican food there. I'm not sure what "Hispanic" food is either.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:20 PM

5,873 posts, read 7,318,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
stop it, just stop it.
Please, just please.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
It's not "authentic"? Tex-Mex is authentic, but it's a different cuisine from Mexican food. I don't understand what your trying to say. Tex-Mex is just Mexican food, that uses higher quality meats, like Beef steak instead of beef skirt and white meat chicken breast instead of dark meat. Tex-Mex spices tend to be the same, and you see more cheese in Tex-Mex.

OP,
I second Mia's in Oak Lawn for Tex-Mex, and I highly recommend the brisket tacos. La Calle Doce in Oak Cliff for Tex-Mex seafood, my favorite dish is the Gulf Red Snapper, and I love their green salsa. If your down in the Arts District(Downtown), Jorge's has good seafood, and a good brunch. I like the ceviche at Jorge's.

For Hispanic non-mexican/Tex-Mex:

Zaguan bakery, La Duni, and Gloria's are all good and all 3 are located in Oak Lawn.

My favorite chain is, Uncle Julios. I like their swirl margarita, steak fajitas, tortillas, and the thin chips and salsa are very addicting.
Tex-Mex is not Mexican food. It's a regional take off of Northern Mexican dishes that have devolved after many years. And N. Texas' take on Tex-Mex is different than that. And Tex Mex uses spices/rubs and in N. Texas processed cheeses as well as pure heat to attempt to disguise the blandness of ingredients. And "quality meats" is not the only difference.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Authentic implies authentic Mexican. Tex Mex is a hybrid of gringo and Mexican and not usually associated with the term "authentic".
You can have "authentic" Tex-Mex, but N. Texas' version is a take off of that. A more true version will be found in the San Antonio area of Tex-Mex, but that's about as N. as it gets. After that it becomes more watered down and diluted to a more commercial version.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:

If you've got a main dish were 50-55% of the contents are cheese, jalapenos, and a meat that has a rub, marinade or sauce on it...it's not "authentic" tex-mex. Or anything that comes out of a can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas