Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 12:02 PM

62 posts, read 143,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downton View Post
Brinker, Barksdale, Skaggs, Andrews, centennial, all are excellent schools but if you like to split hairs than schools feeding to Rice have an academic edge over other schools feeding to Renner except Barksdale.
Can you expand on what makes Barksdale stronger academically than Brinker or Centennial? Is it as simple as test scores or is there other factors playing a role?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 12:28 PM

115 posts, read 193,999 times
Both schools are excellent schools without any major difference. However, Barksdale is exemplary, has math rock program, performs slightly better on testing, offers more financial and ethnic homogenosity. It's all what I read and heard, my kids aren't there yet so no insider's scoope.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:31 PM

718 posts, read 1,389,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
I've caught flak for daring to suggest this before, but "the best" schools academically are NOT in the richest area of PISD, or even the second or third richest area.

The highest-performing schools in PISD, hands down, are Rice Middle School and the 3 elementaries feeding to it - Skaggs, Andrews, and Wyatt.

The homes in this area are predominantly in the $250K-$300K range - nice, not cheap, but nowhere near as $$$$ as Willow Bend or adjoining neighborhoods. In fact, they are some of the less expensive houses in the Plano West zone.
You are totally right , those schools are far ahead of any other schools in PISD . In a good way , that neighborhood helped Plano west High to loose the " white rich kids school " tag , they used to have while raising the academic level.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:21 AM

87 posts, read 135,460 times
Barksdale is awesome, we have our younger one there and older one in Renner and very happy with both schools.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:30 AM

80 posts, read 138,093 times
Barksdale is one of the best elementary schools in PISD.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:38 AM

62 posts, read 143,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObamneyI View Post
Barksdale is one of the best elementary schools in PISD.
How does Brinker and Centennial stack up vs Barksdale? What does Barksdale have that makes it that much better than the other two if thats the case?

Old 03-04-2013, 10:50 AM

80 posts, read 138,093 times
It is exemplary and other two are not but otherwise all three are excellent schools. You can't go wrong with any of them.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:57 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souleiado View Post
You are totally right , those schools are far ahead of any other schools in PISD . In a good way , that neighborhood helped Plano west High to loose the " white rich kids school " tag , they used to have while raising the academic level.
I worked at Skaggs for 2 years and it was astounding how excited the children were to be at school, I've never seen anything like it. It is an extremely diverse schools as well.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:14 PM

5 posts, read 13,097 times
Having lived in 75093(W Plano) and Starwood, I would say, the W Plano demographics is an older crowd. Starwood is definitely much more kid friendly and for younger families, plus Frisco is still booming. Wasn't sure about Starwood when we bought, but am extremely happy we bought in here. Quiet neighborhood, tree line street, nice club house and common areas. Easy to meet neighbors. Lots of social events..

Old 03-18-2013, 07:54 AM

162 posts, read 303,589 times
Plano bashers need to make up their mind, you can't say that Plano has no younger families and at the same time say that their schools are overcrowded. I am new and haven't bought a home yet so no invested interest but I feel that being an established town, Plano is a natural mix of young and old residents unlike Frisco that feels like an Stepfordish artificial collection of younger families only. I want my children to have exposure to people of all ages and know that aging is a natural process and we don't need to banish every 50+ from our neighborhoods. However, if you see results of Plano ISD then you know that Plano will keep attracting families with focus on education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas