Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 09:58 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times

Advertisements

The only thing that jumped out at me on your floor plan is how tiny the dining room is at 12x15. I just did a quick spot check of SL listings and I guess it is the "normal" size out there but if you entertain a lot for business or family holidays, you'll barely be able to get an 8' table plus the minimum 3' space from table to wall to fit chairs going in & out. Having a serving console or china cabinet will make the room feel really tight. Most of the new construction in Park Cities & PH have 17x13 as the smallest dining room size, with most being 17x20+. May not be necessary in SL, but consider your entertaining needs before going that small.

Yes- you need fireplaces for resale. Have you considered putting one in your outdoor living space? Then maybe one in either study or master! Although, family room really feels like it needs one to "anchor" the room. what will the focal point of that room be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 09:59 AM

200 posts, read 619,869 times
Personally, I don't like fireplaces. Why? 1. Too much hassle to use because I have to do work rather than just adjust a thermostat. 2. The open flu decreases the energy efficiency of the house during the 99% of the time when the fireplace is not being used (even with fancy energy conserving fireplaces this is true). 3. Stinks up the air in the neighborhood and also in the house. If the equivalent pollution vs. energy output from a fireplace were scaled up to an industrial scale factory, the EPA would shut it down.

That said, a lot of people ignore the practical and go for the romantic. As others said, for a house at that price, a fireplace may be expected even if it is rarely used.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:06 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
We have gas logs in our fireplace, so when we want to use it, we just turn them on, and when we're done, we turn them off. No mess, no smell, no keeping a woodpile which draws snakes, etc. And when we aren't using the fireplace, we close the flue.

As others have said, you need a fireplace at that price range for resale and aesthetics. Without one, your house will look cheap! And I totally agree that 12x15 is not big enough for a formal dining room.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:28 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,681,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
I'm curious. If you have a media room, right there next door to the family room, why do you need a tv in the family room?

I'm not trying to bash. I just don't understand.
We like to eat in front of the TV... it's tough to eat in the MR I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bypass13 View Post
With a media room next door, I do not see the need for another big tv in family? Install a small one in the kitchen and let Mrs have her painting over the fireplace. At your price point buyers expect two fireplaces or more. You can put fireplace in master bed instead if family room must have a big screen.
That was another thought. But if we have the FP on the far wall by the outdoor place, we can have the outdoor fireplace go back to back like this....

http://www.houzz.com/photos/354170/O...-santa-barbara

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
The only thing that jumped out at me on your floor plan is how tiny the dining room is at 12x15. I just did a quick spot check of SL listings and I guess it is the "normal" size out there but if you entertain a lot for business or family holidays, you'll barely be able to get an 8' table plus the minimum 3' space from table to wall to fit chairs going in & out. Having a serving console or china cabinet will make the room feel really tight. Most of the new construction in Park Cities & PH have 17x13 as the smallest dining room size, with most being 17x20+. May not be necessary in SL, but consider your entertaining needs before going that small.

Yes- you need fireplaces for resale. Have you considered putting one in your outdoor living space? Then maybe one in either study or master! Although, family room really feels like it needs one to "anchor" the room. what will the focal point of that room be?
Yeah, maybe you're right... I'll have to bring it out a foot or two. I'm limited but the width of the house because of the lot restrictions. It may have to be at most 13x17. Probably more like 12x16.

This is what we want the DR to look like. Boxed ceiling and wainscoting.

http://www.houzz.com/photos/214110/S...g-room-chicago

Old 02-10-2013, 11:31 AM

227 posts, read 528,944 times
We do use our gas log fireplaces and really enjoy one in the family room. One in the formal living only gets minimal use, may be 3-4/winter. You don't have to have one in the family if it is not going to get much use or if it doesn't fit in bigger picture.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:42 AM

This is another idea I'm thinking about instead of a vaulted (cathedral looking) ceiling in the FR... thinking of going 14 feet tall and boxing the ceiling in white beams.

Living Room - traditional - living room - seattle - by Paul Moon Design

Instead of the cathedral/vault (though not as grand)...

Robinson's Bay Residence - traditional - living room - minneapolis - by Murphy & Co. Design

The kitchen I want to look similar to this...
http://www.houzz.com/photos/109770/N...kitchen-boston

Last edited by pinipig523; 02-10-2013 at 12:00 PM..

Old 02-10-2013, 12:41 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
This is another idea I'm thinking about instead of a vaulted (cathedral looking) ceiling in the FR... thinking of going 14 feet tall and boxing the ceiling in white beams.

Living Room - traditional - living room - seattle - by Paul Moon Design

Instead of the cathedral/vault (though not as grand)...

Robinson's Bay Residence - traditional - living room - minneapolis - by Murphy & Co. Design

The kitchen I want to look similar to this...
Needham Kitchen - traditional - kitchen - boston - by Venegas and Company
LOVE the first family room link and the kitchen. You are going to have a beautiful new home!

Old 02-10-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
LOVE the first family room link and the kitchen. You are going to have a beautiful new home!
Thanks TC!

You like the white boxed ceiling over the vaulted cathedral look with dark beams?

I was thinking of raising the white boxed ceiling to at least 13-14 feet tall... taller than in the pics but NOT 2 story tall because I think that's way overplayed and too non-cozy.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:13 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Quote:
Thanks TC!

You like the white boxed ceiling over the vaulted cathedral look with dark beams?

I was thinking of raising the white boxed ceiling to at least 13-14 feet tall... taller than in the pics but NOT 2 story tall because I think that's way overplayed and too non-cozy.
Dark beams will make it look very 1970s, IMHO. I would stick with the ceiling color like in the photos.

Be careful about getting the ceiling too high. You don't want to have to drag out the extension ladder every time to need to change a lightbulb! Also, the higher you go, the less energy efficient it is, and the louder the room becomes. Our ceilings are 10 feet and I love that height. I would think 12 feet would be about the max I would do.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:49 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,860,168 times
Quote:
We like to eat in front of the TV... it's tough to eat in the MR I think.

Eat in the kitchen in front of a tv there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas