Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2013, 07:41 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,606,647 times

Advertisements

Mom believed......back in the 60's and 70's... That every bride must get a complete set of sterling silver tableware and fine china. So, I have my deceased (she was divorced and never had children) sister's set, my own set (from first marriage) and, as we move mom into a care facility I will also have her set. I gave my son my set. My sister's silver tableware is very ornate and many of the pieces are still wrapped in original plastic. My DH and I are beginning the task of downsizing with plans to live out of the country for a few years and sell our home. Any suggestions for where in the DFW area to sell the silver and also hiw to get a fair appraisal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 07:46 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,111,078 times
I don't know if they are the best ones to buy the silver from you, but the first place I would go for an appraisal is The Copper Lamp @ Preston/Royal (NE corner). They are probably the biggest estate silver store in Dallas. A guy named John (I think?) is their appraiser.

Copper Lamp - Fine Silver and China

Old 02-11-2013, 08:19 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,599,381 times
Check out www.replacementsltd.com. I have bought and sold from them, a reputable company.

I had a set for 12 of Francis I and downsized to 8. They offered good prices.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:05 AM

67 posts, read 171,054 times
Default I'd try eBay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Mom believed......back in the 60's and 70's... That every bride must get a complete set of sterling silver tableware and fine china. So, I have my deceased (she was divorced and never had children) sister's set, my own set (from first marriage) and, as we move mom into a care facility I will also have her set. I gave my son my set. My sister's silver tableware is very ornate and many of the pieces are still wrapped in original plastic. My DH and I are beginning the task of downsizing with plans to live out of the country for a few years and sell our home. Any suggestions for where in the DFW area to sell the silver and also hiw to get a fair appraisal?
Honestly, I'd try eBay. You can do price research (cause it's very likely that someone else has sold something similar) and then list it. You'll likely get a better price for it than at an antique shop.

You might also try Replacements.com or SilverQueen.com. They buy and sell used silver. Moderator cut: not allowed

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-12-2013 at 08:25 AM..

Old 02-12-2013, 08:27 AM

There are 12 5pc settings of Medici by Gorham. What is weird is my sister married in December, 1967 but online it says this pattern began being issued in 1971. I am certain of her date of marriage. I wonder how she could have gotten the silver as wedding gifts when the pattern was issued 4 years following her wedding??? Oh, well! Ebay is a great idea!

Old 02-12-2013, 08:51 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,111,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
There are 12 5pc settings of Medici by Gorham. What is weird is my sister married in December, 1967 but online it says this pattern began being issued in 1971. I am certain of her date of marriage. I wonder how she could have gotten the silver as wedding gifts when the pattern was issued 4 years following her wedding??? Oh, well! Ebay is a great idea!
At least go to the Copper Lamp for an appraisal. It's free and will give you the best idea of what the set is worth if you go the eBay route. A new set of 12 place settings is in the $5-8k range and estate silver is around 30-50% of that, depending on pattern / condition / etc.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
At least go to the Copper Lamp for an appraisal. It's free and will give you the best idea of what the set is worth if you go the eBay route. A new set of 12 place settings is in the $5-8k range and estate silver is around 30-50% of that, depending on pattern / condition / etc.
I will do that! Thanks

Old 02-16-2013, 02:56 AM

67 posts, read 171,054 times
What pattern is it? Some are more popular than others..

Old 02-19-2013, 06:44 PM

931 posts, read 2,124,991 times
My wife and I are thinking about selling ours as it seems that our kids will sell it as soon as we are gone and we could use the money ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: