Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2013, 09:03 AM

20 posts, read 78,538 times

Advertisements

We are looking to buy a place in Dallas. The first area we considered was North Oak Cliff but we are now looking at Oak Lawn. I like the idea of OC because land value is still low and there is development on the horizon. OL seems like it has already been developed so the land value is already sky high.

(edit) Do you think that land value in Oak Lawn has peaked?

Last edited by bchaney16; 02-11-2013 at 10:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 09:08 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,208,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchaney16 View Post
We are looking to buy a place in Dallas. The first area we considered was North Oak Cliff but we are now looking at Oak Lawn. I like the idea of OC because land value is still low and there is development on the horizon. OL seems like it has already been developed so the land value is already sky high.

Is it a bad idea to buy in Oak Lawn now that land values seem to have peaked?
Land values in Oak Lawn haven't "peaked." Yes, they're higher than many areas around the DFW area, but do you really think that a dense urban neighborhood just 2 miles from downtown in a metro area larger than Rhode Island and with 7M residents is at its "peak" and will only go down from here? Think again.....

Between the two, buy where you want to live. They are both vibrant neighborhoods to enjoy now and will probably make you some money if you plan to buy & hold for 5-10 years. Now if you're a short-term speculator, good luck timing any market, including these two.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:25 AM

20 posts, read 78,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Land values in Oak Lawn haven't "peaked." Yes, they're higher than many areas around the DFW area, but do you really think that a dense urban neighborhood just 2 miles from downtown in a metro area larger than Rhode Island and with 7M residents is at its "peak" and will only go down from here? Think again.....

Between the two, buy where you want to live. They are both vibrant neighborhoods to enjoy now and will probably make you some money if you plan to buy & hold for 5-10 years. Now if you're a short-term speculator, good luck timing any market, including these two.
Good to hear. I guess my question should've been "do you think values have peaked?". I was just looking at the land valuation on some tax records and value has tripled or quadrupled from '05 to '09 and now seems stagnant. That may have to do with the economy in general though. Thanks for the help.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:50 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,592,431 times
Depends on what you want to buy, and what kind of lifestyle you live, etc..

Old 02-11-2013, 10:07 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,208,000 times
Quote:
Good to hear. I guess my question should've been "do you think values have peaked?". I was just looking at the land valuation on some tax records and value has tripled or quadrupled from '05 to '09 and now seems stagnant. That may have to do with the economy in general though. Thanks for the help.
The market has been slow in Oak Lawn the last few years because so much of 75219's housing stock is condos. In Dallas, condos are the last properties to rise in value and the first to go down. Also, as condos / duplexes/ Multi- family splits 1 lot between 2-300 units, each unit's value is much more in the structure vs the land. And between structure and land, land is the only part of the value that increases without improvements.

There is still a lot of development / redevelopment in Oak Lawn. Lincoln Properties bought the shopping center at Blackburn & Oak Lawn out of foreclosure and has plans to make it a West Village type development with housing, possibly a Central Market, and other commercial. There are still old original $300-600k value homes being torn down and rebuilt as 4 x $400-600k townhomes.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:15 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,474,005 times
Quote:
Are you looking at houses or a condo in Oak Lawn? There aren't many single family homes left in Oak Lawn. A few older homes on Bowser and Holland. Then there's Perry Heights which is gorgeous but super expensive. West of Maple there are quite a few single family homes, but that area of Oak Lawn is still in transition. I think Maple Springs(75235) is a safe place to buy, it has some really cute 1920s and 1930s bungalows, and people take care of the neighborhood. Most of the houses in that area have pretty big back yards too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas