Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 01:56 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,687,867 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, unless you have are in a specialized field or are able to transfer through an employer, you're not likely to obtain a job prior to moving. Most companies aren't going to hire someone from out of state when there are plenty of qualified local candidates that are able to interview immediately. Not to mention, the risk of the new hire quiting to "go back home" as most people don't realize that there will be homesickness in the first 6-12 months of relocating, that's simply natural and psychological, thus they give up and return from where they came.

I've made several moves with only a small amount of money saved up and no job lined up. LA, Dallas (twice), Chicago, and Montana. However, I only had myself to worry about. In similar situations, I always encourage people to be smart about it, but to go for it. But with 4 mouths to feed, that changes every thing. I guess the questions to ask are, how long can you survive without work upon your arrival in Dallas? If only a few weeks, I say don't risk it. Also, have you researched temporary living arrangements and the costs? Have you looked at job postings online to try and gauge the market for your skillset here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 02:09 PM

19,793 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ1 View Post
Thanks in advance for your insight on my questions.

First, is it a risk worth taking to relocate to Dallas WITHOUT a job lined up, with a few thousand $dollars in the pocket?

- Work experience area is in financial analysis in healthcare (about 8 years experience)

- BS accounting & Master degrees (not MBA though).

- Been out of a fulltime job for 12 months (have done 2 short term contract jobs within the 12 months).

- A family of 4 (wife nursing 6 months old baby & currently not working)

- Made $95k last fulltime job but willing to take 20 - 30% lower, if I have to.

- One child in 2nd grade so, school consideration is important.

- Will take temporary/contract immediately while I hunt for fulltime job.

- Of course, we'll rent at first.

So do I have a shot at landing something quiclky in Dallas before the "few $thousands" run out?

No one here knows your name so please be more specific.

1. What does a few thousand mean?

2. I agree with the general notion that some areas of the country will not appreciably recover for years on.
So a taking a bit of risk may make sense. That said moving a family to a new locale with say $5k would be near irrational unless your current situation is hopeless.

3. I'd go cave-man intense on looking for jobs in Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, Charlotte, Raleigh, Tulsa, OKC you get the point. If you are not yet treat looking like a 50/60 hr. per week job.

Best of luck.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:11 PM

19,793 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Unfortunately, unless you have are in a specialized field or are able to transfer through an employer, you're not likely to obtain a job prior to moving. Most companies aren't going to hire someone from out of state when there are plenty of qualified local candidates that are able to interview immediately. Not to mention, the risk of the new hire quiting to "go back home" as most people don't realize that there will be homesickness in the first 6-12 months of relocating, that's simply natural and psychological, thus they give up and return from where they came.

I've made several moves with only a small amount of money saved up and no job lined up. LA, Dallas (twice), Chicago, and Montana. However, I only had myself to worry about. In similar situations, I always encourage people to be smart about it, but to go for it. But with 4 mouths to feed, that changes every thing. I guess the questions to ask are, how long can you survive without work upon your arrival in Dallas? If only a few weeks, I say don't risk it. Also, have you researched temporary living arrangements and the costs? Have you looked at job postings online to try and gauge the market for your skillset here?
I agree - kids change everything.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:23 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
I will also suggest coming down by yourself and getting an extended stay place while you look for work. Once you find something, then bring the family.

Most landlords I know will not rent to someone who has no verifiable income source. So, coming out here with the family in tow will make your situation even worse. If you don't find something quickly, you all could end up homeless! Also, remember that the DFW area is HUGE, so putting down roots before you find a job could set you up to have a horribly long commute, and make you have to move again after your first lease expires.
Hey, OP, keep your chin up! There are accounting jobs here. Christie P and I both are/were HR professionals. Check in with various agencies for contract work and plan to come here alone. You can stay at an extended stay place pretty inexpensively.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:32 PM

137 posts, read 268,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
I will also suggest coming down by yourself and getting an extended stay place while you look for work. Once you find something, then bring the family.

Most landlords I know will not rent to someone who has no verifiable income source. So, coming out here with the family in tow will make your situation even worse. If you don't find something quickly, you all could end up homeless! Also, remember that the DFW area is HUGE, so putting down roots before you find a job could set you up to have a horribly long commute, and make you have to move again after your first lease expires.
Christie that's a great advice! Yes, the family is definitely will only come if I can establish stability - job and a place. And being sure of work location and where to live as you such suggested, can spare me cummute insanity considering the size of the area. Thanks!

Old 02-11-2013, 02:35 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
I used to work in HR myself. One thing I would suggest doing is converting your cell phone number to a TX number, whether it's Dallas, Houston, etc. As you said, some employers are leery of hiring someone from out of state, and having a local phone number (at least a TX one) can go a long way toward getting your foot in the door, even though it seems so trivial.

Best of luck to you, I had to move from FL back to TX when I was laid off a few years ago, and with kids, your situation is even more stressful than mine was. In the end though, it all worked out for my wife and I, hopefully it will for you too.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:46 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,748,197 times
My wife has an operational accounting back ground prior to working in the C-levels. She gets calls from recruiters she talked to 7 years ago looking to place her. The market is very good.

I know a number of CPAs who recently jumped ship to two firms that recently moved here.

The temp/extended stay approach seems the safest. And the local cell number is a good idea. I do not hire anyone unless they are HERE. Hiding behind an agency and a phone number is a pretty good approach.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post

Ankhharu thank you. Yes, there are posted positions in my area of experience compared to my current place but like you said, many employers are reluctant with out-of-state applicants. Which drove my thinking to move closer. My decision is that the family will remain while I try coming and exploring hopefully with a temporary living arrangement.

Five years ago, I used to pick up and go. My wife and daughter was safely living somewhere else without me. I used to have a job and get a job. This current job market is like I have neber seen or read before.

As for homesickness? That wouldn't be me and I believe my family can handle that pretty well. We have just one place we can call "permanent" home that we travel to annually so, any other place here is a secondary home. Me personnally I have lived in 3 states however, if we resettle this time, it'll be permanent.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
No one here knows your name so please be more specific.

1. What does a few thousand mean?

2. I agree with the general notion that some areas of the country will not appreciably recover for years on.
So a taking a bit of risk may make sense. That said moving a family to a new locale with say $5k would be near irrational unless your current situation is hopeless.

3. I'd go cave-man intense on looking for jobs in Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, Charlotte, Raleigh, Tulsa, OKC you get the point. If you are not yet treat looking like a 50/60 hr. per week job.

Best of luck.
EDS good questions! Thank you so much! Like $11k. It could be more if I dip my hand to my 403b, which I have resisted painfully.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
Hey, OP, keep your chin up! There are accounting jobs here. Christie P and I both are/were HR professionals. Check in with various agencies for contract work and plan to come here alone. You can stay at an extended stay place pretty inexpensively.
Thank you Squirl & Christie. That's what I will do! - get a contract position while hunting fulltime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas