Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2007, 09:50 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,762,286 times

Advertisements

My son changed his out of state license over to a TX license in September, only to find out it expires on his bday in November, so he needs to renew in mid November. Question is: What is the window for renewal? 30 days prior and 30 days after expiration? I know that for the 2 weeks just prior and after his bday he won't possibly be able to get over to the DMV and then we will be gone for a week during Thanksgiving. Will he get something in the mail notifying him? I know he must show up in person, w/his ss card and VOE form. It can't be done per mail.

thanks!

P.S. If we would have realized he would have to renew so soon, we would have waited! LOL. His out of state license was good for like 6 years, instead of yearly until 18.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 12:33 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,287,346 times
Hi Spree, we call it the DPS Driver's License office here. I know some states call it the DMV. He has the month of his birthday to renew.

Here is an excerpt from the website: Texas Department of Public Safety - Courtesy, Service, Protection (http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/driver_licensing_control/faq/faq.htm#dvr_lic - broken link)

[SIZE=2]1) I am new to Texas, what do I need to do in order to get a Texas license?[/SIZE]
A new resident moving into Texas who has a valid driver license from his home state, has 30 days after entry into the state to secure a Texas driver license. In addition to testing, all first time original applicants must visit a [SIZE=2]Texas Driver License office[/SIZE] and present and do the following: Texas Transportation Code 521.029.

Hope this helps!

Old 10-22-2007, 12:34 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Sometimes you can do it online so you might try that. I sure would not let him drive w/ it expired though........ yikes. Being a young driver and all.

Old 10-22-2007, 01:22 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,762,286 times
Thanks Blue!

Momof - no, it can't be done online, that's what they told me at the driver's license place. He has to bring a form from the school that says he's been attending school regularly and his ss card. He'll have to go again one more time next year when he's 18 (where did time go?) and then it's the x number of years they require.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:50 PM

133 posts, read 534,481 times
My friend got pulled over and ticketed for having an expired license the day that it expired... he was on his way to the DMV to have it renewed!

And, he'll have to go into the DMV to get it renewed this time and next. When he turns 24 (I think), when he'll need it renewed again, he can do it online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas