Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 09:48 PM

26 posts, read 41,990 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm in search of a new place to call home. I'm a single male in my late 20s. I hold a steady telecommute job for a software company and make a decent salary. Dallas is appealing to me for having no state tax and close proximity to an excellent airport.

From what I've read so far the recommendation for young singles is Uptown/Addison/Las Colinas. The problem is I am not a drinker/bar hopper so I would rather not live in areas dominated by that life style. If it were up to me I'd locate somewhere nice and quiet (Plano/Lewisville). The thing about these places is that it seems it would be difficult to meet young people.

Does Dallas have a place for young professional who are not interested in getting trashed every night, but interested in engaging in other types of entertainment? I have a feeling some of the responses may be "Yes, if you meet a girl at church"...which for me isn't an issue. I just recently dated a girl from Texas and all she wanted to do was drink and spend my money...I need to stay as far away from these types as possible.

I enjoy a relaxed, aesthetically pleasing and friendly atmosphere. Close to great shopping and not far away as possible from trouble. I guess I need to just get married and move to the burbs :P

Thanks everyone.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:32 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
Las Colinas is not a big bar scene at all. In addition to the city of Irving police, LC has a supplemental police force, very low crime rate. Many young professionals live there and spend time on the Campion Trail hiking, running and biking. The Dallas Sierra club has an active singles group.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:03 PM

5 posts, read 7,493 times
Moderator cut: not allowed, read TOS
We recently relocated back to Texas from the California Bay Area; and moved to Frisco this past May. We also used to live in a townhome in Addison; so I know what you mean about not wanting too much of the party scene. There are actually a few places that would meet your needs. Frisco, McKinney or Allen all have the atmosphere's you are looking for; however, Frisco seems to be the most well rounded of them. There is a great sense of community; a lot of outdoor activities and sporting events; as well as very quick access to all of the best shopping and restaurants that the Metroplex has to offer. I have lived all over the Dallas & Fort Worth Metorplex; and it seems that Frisco has the most to offer. Also the singles here, both female and male, are professional and independent.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-12-2013 at 07:11 AM..

Old 02-12-2013, 06:52 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,408,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThanksForYourInput- View Post
I am not a drinker/bar hopper so I would rather not live in areas dominated by that life style.

I just recently dated a girl from Texas and all she wanted to do was drink and spend my money...I need to stay as far away from these types as possible.

I guess I need to just get married and move to the burbs :P
Sounds like you answered your own question.

With a steady telecommute job, why limit your options? go to Europe and hop countries in the EU for 3 months at a time. If you are dead set on relocating in the US someplace, you may want to consider places that offer a more suitable year round climate. San Diego may be a good option or Nashville if you prefer the Midwest values.
After you get married and have a couple children, then you can come here and live in Allen, Frisco, McKinney or Plano.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:22 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThanksForYourInput- View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm in search of a new place to call home. I'm a single male in my late 20s. I hold a steady telecommute job for a software company and make a decent salary. Dallas is appealing to me for having no state tax and close proximity to an excellent airport.

From what I've read so far the recommendation for young singles is Uptown/Addison/Las Colinas. The problem is I am not a drinker/bar hopper so I would rather not live in areas dominated by that life style. If it were up to me I'd locate somewhere nice and quiet (Plano/Lewisville). The thing about these places is that it seems it would be difficult to meet young people.

Does Dallas have a place for young professional who are not interested in getting trashed every night, but interested in engaging in other types of entertainment? I have a feeling some of the responses may be "Yes, if you meet a girl at church"...which for me isn't an issue. I just recently dated a girl from Texas and all she wanted to do was drink and spend my money...I need to stay as far away from these types as possible.

I enjoy a relaxed, aesthetically pleasing and friendly atmosphere. Close to great shopping and not far away as possible from trouble. I guess I need to just get married and move to the burbs :P

Thanks everyone.
JMHO, I think you should look elsewhere. I don't think Dallas is going to suit your criteria. If you're in your 20s-30s and you aren't out getting trashed, you're pumping out tax deductions in the suburbs. There's not much in-between here, and not a lot to do that doesn't involve shopping or dining out.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:26 AM

7,890 posts, read 11,408,992 times
Try Legacy area in Plano. It is less party central and still a younger crowd than most suburbs. Nothing wrong with getting married and settling down imho, it beats the travel europe idea from my experience.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:44 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,486,572 times
Plano and Frisco? For a 20 something? Thats funny! Every time theres a 20-30 something posting a "I hate Dallas" rant, guess where the posters ACTUALLY live, hint its not Dallas.... just saying

Old 02-12-2013, 07:59 AM

323 posts, read 633,471 times
No you'll not be happy here. We only offer steady jobs, cheap housing, good schools, big malls and restaurants here. A young man should go see fun places. Go to some place where they have scenery, culture, entertainment and adventure. This is a metroplex for 30+ with two kids and a wife who need a nice and safe bubble.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:43 AM

111 posts, read 207,147 times
Just my personal belief. A place is what you make it. You can be fulfilled and happy about anywhere. I'm sure there are some fine young ladies out of the entire population of DFW metro area. Maybe get involved in a young adult service organization - and the good ones will be much easier to find - at least in my experience. Definitely not saying all people who are in bars are bad. But find a group of people who profess values and interests similar to you. A site called meetup has a bunch of "groups" you can join who meet regularly for an almost endless variety of activities.

The quality of Chinese restaurants, etc., - isn't one of the things that makes a fulfilled and happy person. At least that's my opinion - for what it's worth. And that probably isn't all that much.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:52 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,614 times
Las Colinas is pretty spectacular.

Here is a pic from the top of the Omni Mandalay off O'Connor looking East to downtown Dallas. If you know what you are looking at, you can see a Dart station by the lake, DFW gun range just to the left, Love Field halfway to downtown, etc.

Las Colinas is equidistant from Love Field and DFW and the telecommuting infrastructure is top notch. Most of the singles there are serious. And there is a lot to do. The Blue Fish anchors some very good places to eat and depending on where you live, it is walkable. Tons of trails. The lakes and canals are full of ducks and cormorants and fish.

From here you are close to almost all the major employers.

Would I be happy in Dallas?-mand.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas