Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 02:13 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,682,798 times

Advertisements

I had a good conversation over DM today about how we should try our best to minimize mistakes when building a house, especially since my wife and I have never built a home nor owned a home.

As some of you know, we are looking to build a home shortly. Now, it is unlikely that we will not make mistakes. Chances are that I'll end up choosing options which I'll end up disliking.

That said, for those more experienced than I am... What were some mistakes that you made in your house (options, location, pool, floor plan, 2nd floor masters, flooring, lack of a living room, too large, too small)?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 02:18 PM

937 posts, read 2,906,974 times
Don't go all electric, specifically for heat.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:24 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
I don't like how my utility room is not connected to the kitchen, because I have to either walk through the family room or the play room to take leftovers to and from the second fridge. If I drop it, yikes!

Old 01-21-2012, 02:51 PM

263 posts, read 565,313 times
We didnt build our home so we didnt get to make choices but one of the things that limited us was the placement of phone jacks and cable outlets. The built in shelves have also limited the size of our TV.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:02 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
I don't like having a formal living room. I don't like having the garage under the house, meaning we must walk up stairs with groceries. Our house is in a hilly area and its all about the view. So when you enter you have the open living room with a wall of windows. Love having a view but that meant building the house on a hill with rear entry garage underneath. The house was designed for the terrain so I think its a beautiful house but not so easy to live with as far as having a hugh open living room we do not hang out in, and dealing with steps and groceries is very difficult.

Suggest you plan your house with easy unloading of groceries from car to kitchen. I hate formal living areas. I love large laundry rooms and extending the living with a natural flow to the outside....we have those things with our house. Of course, in Dallas, you really can't hang outside much of the year because our weather is too hot or too cold so much of the time.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:32 PM

178 posts, read 399,031 times
too big. too many bedrooms. too much square feet. thank god the mcmansion is dying.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:37 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,460,240 times
Outside, there are only two water faucets, one in the backyard, the other in the front left side. There's another side yard without a water faucet.

Would be nice to have more sound proofing underneath the flooring.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:00 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
For granite, go with the densest you can find so it doesn't need to be sealed and re-sealed. I have a premium black granite that after 6 years still looks as new as the day it was put in. Never been sealed, even when installed.

I like my pantry area but it is not big enough for all my cooking and serving pieces. I have some that I use infrequently and it would be nice to store them out of the way.

Get the closet systems with the built-in sections, not the wire shelving. The wood or particle board, whatever it is, looks much better and is easier to arrange things on. Make a section of shoe-sized cubbies so your shoes are off the floor so your wife can find what she wants!

As Squirl mentioned think long and hard about formal rooms. Some people like a formal dining room (I do) as they entertain and don't want to do that next to the kitchen.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:35 PM

44 posts, read 117,022 times
If the master is on the first floor make sure nothing is above it.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:44 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,682,798 times
These are great points... Keep them coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas