Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 01:55 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times

Advertisements

Lakewood repeats as Dallas Math Olympiad Champions

For the second straight year Lakewood’s Math Team captured first place at the Dallas ISD annual math competition on October 20th at Skyline High School.

neighborsgo.com: where neighbors in the D-FW area go to connect and share community news

Old 11-13-2007, 02:22 PM

875 posts, read 1,092,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
Sorry, man. My wife and I love old houses. That's one of the reasons we settled in Lakewood. We want to fix an old house up to its original character and "flip it."

You got a great deal on that one. Keep us updated on it.
Flip it? What happened to preserving the neighborhood? Will you sell it to someone who's going to resell it in a few short years?

Old 11-16-2007, 10:05 AM

1,518 posts, read 5,268,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysrodgers View Post
Flip it? What happened to preserving the neighborhood? Will you sell it to someone who's going to resell it in a few short years?
Maybe we have a different interpretation of "flip it." Usually "flip it" just means clean it up. I would do some stuff to the interior. The kitchens in 20's houses are pretty tiny. So are the bathrooms. My idea to "flip it" is to clean up the outside, and restore it to its original character. Meanwhile, redo the kitchen and restore the rest of the house to a clean and workable condition. One can flip a house and still preserve the neighborhood. Flip it doesn't mean bulldoze it!

Old 11-16-2007, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonpl View Post
Maybe we have a different interpretation of "flip it." Usually "flip it" just means clean it up. I would do some stuff to the interior. The kitchens in 20's houses are pretty tiny. So are the bathrooms. My idea to "flip it" is to clean up the outside, and restore it to its original character. Meanwhile, redo the kitchen and restore the rest of the house to a clean and workable condition. One can flip a house and still preserve the neighborhood. Flip it doesn't mean bulldoze it!
Yes, we do have a different definition, thanks for clarifying that for me.

When I've heard the term flipping a house in Real Estate circles, it meant buying cheap, fixing it up and reselling it fast for a nice profit.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:24 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysrodgers View Post
Yes, we do have a different definition, thanks for clarifying that for me.

When I've heard the term flipping a house in Real Estate circles, it meant buying cheap, fixing it up and reselling it fast for a nice profit.
Yes, that's what flipping is. I bought a flipped house in Richardson Heights & have a gorgeous kitchen, etc. Love it.
It was a rental in poor repair with all the original 50's appliances before the flippers bought in and fixed it up in a couple of months.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Yes, that's what flipping is. I bought a flipped house in Richardson Heights & have a gorgeous kitchen, etc. Love it.
It was a rental in poor repair with all the original 50's appliances before the flippers bought in and fixed it up in a couple of months.
Good for you! My son (he's a mortgage broker) wanted me to go into flipping houses with him when I moved down here. I just think the market is too "iffy" now to have my money tied up like that.

B of A recently notified his office they wouldn't be doing anymore outside loans before very long. Other banks usually follow their lead, which means it's going to be a big blow to a lot of people.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:16 AM

We have the appreciation factor in our area which would allow flipping to work. Plus the schools are improving every year and getting more well-known. Also some of the more dicey apartments on the fringes of the area are going down (hundreds of them in the Henderson area as we post here today). There is a snowball effect which I think will soon send things even higher.

I've seen some people going back to sensitively adding a second story to Craftsman Bunaglows and Tudors (this was the standard procedure before the tear-down debacle). This is usually done in a set-back method that doesn't destroy the facade. I have seen some particularly great-looking ones in the Lower Greenville-Henderson area.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:32 AM

Lakewood Shopping Center in the 1930s:

Old 11-26-2007, 01:41 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,268,294 times
Awesome photo, Lakewooder. Where did you find it?

Old 12-03-2007, 08:30 AM

Got that from Lakewood-Now..

Also check out this(many photos):

Woodrow choir provided sounds of the season.

Lakewood-Now.net - Dallas Texas - online community newspaper (http://lakewood-now.net/view/article/1653?page=1 - broken link)

Neighborhood Lights Up
Posted December 3, 2007, 3:00 a.m.Staff Report
Page: previous 1 2 3 ... 31 next

"December Eve came alive Friday night when a crowd gathered ‘round the communal Christmas tree for the annual lighting ceremony..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas