Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 06:02 PM

82 posts, read 237,231 times

Advertisements

just wondering what is a better area to be looking in....Weatherford, Texas....Granbury, Texas.....or an area north of Dallas ..(Aubrey, Prosper,)..? not looking for a metroplex area....looking for smaller town...but close to everything.....what is the "stigma" with any of the areas I mentioned....and am I missing an area that is so/so rural...but nice and desirable...not considered the "sticks"....but also not too expensive that you cannot afford to live........I know nothing about towns south of dallas...just that its older?

any insight is much appreciated.....Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 06:54 PM

2,413 posts, read 3,459,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosgreat View Post
just wondering what is a better area to be looking in....Weatherford, Texas....Granbury, Texas.....or an area north of Dallas ..(Aubrey, Prosper,)..? not looking for a metroplex area....looking for smaller town...but close to everything.....what is the "stigma" with any of the areas I mentioned....and am I missing an area that is so/so rural...but nice and desirable...not considered the "sticks"....but also not too expensive that you cannot afford to live........I know nothing about towns south of dallas...just that its older?

any insight is much appreciated.....Thanks...
Those towns are REALLY far apart(like over 2hrs apart). Where will you be working? There' no way you'd be deciding between those towns if you already have a job.

Prosper is an exurb that's about to grow like crazy. Weatherford and Granbury are country towns. Both are bigger than Prosper now but won't see the explosive growth Prosper is about to experience. Aledo is more like Prosper, and is turning into a suburb of Fort Worth.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:56 AM

job/schools aren't an issue at this point....only for resale potential.....just looking for a place to move to that is nice and not crazy over priced...but also not in the middle of no where that no one would want to live.....
I know these places aren't close....just trying to decide which side of dfw most people like better and why?

thanks.....

Old 02-15-2013, 08:27 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,095,141 times
Weatherford and Granbury are more charming "small town Texas" while Prosper is in the early stages of being swallowed whole by the metroplex's N/NW suburban sprawl. Prosper won't look much different than Frisco in 5-10 years time (probably good for re-sale but not good if you're wanting a small town vs ex-burb.) Aubrey is, um, just white trash, IMO. Crap schools, crap housing, no charming town square, etc. It strikes me as a place where your neighbors are probably cooking meth

If you want small towns that are good places to live and won't become tract home suburbs/exburbs, I'd look in the Granbury direction or south of Dallas (Corsicana) or ease towards Tyler. The whole area between Granbury / Glen Rose / Stevenville is really pretty; it's the north tip of the Texas Hill Country and the terrain is really pretty. They are more like "Friday Night Lights" Texas towns than white trash towns. Make sense?

Old 02-15-2013, 08:42 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,226,998 times
Hum...if I had to choose, I would pick Granbury. I used to have an uncle that had a house on Granbury lake. It's just as TC described, Charming. The town square is old and festive on weekends and the scenery is nice. That's probably as far south as I would venture and still expect a good return on your investment. My family originates out of Corsicana which is more country like but I like the scenery more around Granbury and I think the resale value is probably better as well.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:26 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,152,736 times
My dad and grandparents live in Granbury and I don't really like it. They both live in one of the larger gated communities with golf courses, and those types of neigborhoods are fine and usually very nice. So are the ones around the lake. But the rest of Granbury...I don't know. It's pretty rural and I've heard some not so great things about it honestly.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
job/schools aren't an issue at this point....only for resale potential.....just looking for a place to move to that is nice and not crazy over priced...but also not in the middle of no where that no one would want to live.....
I know these places aren't close....just trying to decide which side of dfw most people like better and why?

thanks.....
Ok, but proximity to good jobs and schools play a major role in resale here. Honestly, none of the areas you listed are known to be good choices if your primary goal is buying a home to resale. Those areas are popular for people who want larger lots, or a little land. Texas has tons of land outside of the metro, so it's not really a rare commodity, therefore it doesn't grow in value very fast. I don't care for Frisco's planned community look, and that's what Prosper is turning into. Granbury has lots of trailer parks, but I'd prefer a more rural environment like Granbury or Weatherford, over the big huge subdivisions with no character. I have 4 close friends here in Dallas that grew up around Granbury, and I know a lot of people from Weatherford. They are nice people out there, but there's no jobs there, and it's not really an easy commute to Fort Worth.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Ok, but proximity to good jobs and schools play a major role in resale here. Honestly, none of the areas you listed are known to be good choices if your primary goal is buying a home to resale.
*were not looking to "flip" a home or anything like that....but if we were..for short term sale...which areas are "known" for being a good choice...

*for long term sale....if Weatherford or Granbury do not have good resale potential......which areas would you say do..... that aren't in the metroplex?

*what areas in general are good for resale potential?

Thanks so much!

Old 02-15-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
*were not looking to "flip" a home or anything like that....but if we were..for short term sale...which areas are "known" for being a good choice...

*for long term sale....if Weatherford or Granbury do not have good resale potential......which areas would you say do..... that aren't in the metroplex?

*what areas in general are good for resale potential?

Thanks so much!
I didn't say anything about flipping. Again, none of those areas are GOOD for resale. They grow in value slowly. Your yearly property taxes, mortgage interest, and commission and closing costs will eat up any profit you make on the home, even if your in it for a long time. By then you will probably have spent money on repairs or upgrading cosmetic things. I can't predict the future, but I don't expect a large return on investment(based on location). I explained why I like those areas, but making a big profit on your home isn't something that will happen.

There really aren't any comparable areas that are any better for resale potential. Land is everywhere, and land is cheap(compared to other areas). It comes down to personal preference. You probably won't lose money if you pay fair market price, but don't expect high appreciation anyplace that far out.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 02-15-2013 at 02:20 PM..

Old 02-15-2013, 03:57 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,000,832 times
Small towns around Texas have little to no appreciation. I would recommend them for someone who wants to retire rather than moving to Mexico or someplace that everyone touts as a place to live cheaply.

Have you thought about places such as Gunter, the Bonham area or Sherman/Denison/Pottsboro? They will probably have a better chance of appreciation, though Gunter (which supposedly has good schools) is likely to be an exurb before long..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas