Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 11:32 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times

Advertisements

I was in Oak Cliff at the Texas Theater last night for the TCM screening of "Rio Bravo" with Angie Dickinson. Tough to find parking and I was there early.

The point is, it's getting more and more popular, so the 'amenities' will come...I'm not sure everyone will be happy about that!

Last edited by Lakewooder; 02-20-2013 at 12:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 11:46 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
It's a tough commute between Richardson and Irving. Both are inner ring burbs. Richardson is on the east side of the metro area. Irving is central. If one believes all the cool stuf is on the East side, certainly that near sighted view draws one to conclude that a central location is inconvenient. I lived in Richardson and liked it a lot especially going to places in North Dallas and Plano. Now I live in Irving and enjoy its proximity to ALL of DFW
For me, Richardson works really well. I am rarely contacted about jobs in Irving or areas further west than that. The vast majority of jobs recruiters contact me for are located on the 75 corridor in Dallas or Richardson or along the DNT in Plano.

Irving works for some; wouldn't work for me.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:01 PM

212 posts, read 409,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhest View Post
Check out Farmers Branch. .... Can't say enough great things about the city. You might hear some bad things about it, but most of those people haven't been to the area in a while and it has changed dramatically. Anyhow, just me two cents.
I rented in Farmers Branch (near Marsh and Beltline) for three years before moving to Richardson last summer. I work from home now, but I commuted to Irving then. It is a very easy commute, especially to the part of Irving that is north of 183. The amenities in FB itself aren't that special, but it's close to Addison for restaurants, the Galleria area for shopping, and it's easy to pop on the tollway to Plano or into Dallas. In fact that's the best thing about FB, it's easy to get somewhere else. But, although it has a nice stock of mid-century houses at decent prices, I didn't seriously consider buying there. The community is very divided and the local government seems intent on furthering the divide rather than bridging it, spending dwindling resources on lawsuits rather than investing in the city, impacting schools, public safety, municipal amenities, .... To be fair, I suppose those fighting the changing demographic tooth and nail think they are investing in the city, but to my mind they are simply bickering at the station rather than steering a bus has already left for the 21st century. Just my opinion. You will want to do your own research.

Old 02-20-2013, 03:29 PM

3 posts, read 4,074 times
To say that Farmers Branch isn't investing in the city is completely absurd. Maybe you should take a drive back through your old home. I agree they should stop fighting a demographic change but they really have begun some great redevelopment projects int he city.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:12 PM

212 posts, read 409,982 times
Quote:
Maybe you should take a drive back through your old home.
Perhaps I should. Do you have examples? The new fire station on Webb Chapel was nice and overdue. So was the new WalMart grocery at Josey and Valley View, which the city facilitated. I don't shop at Walmart grocery very often, but it did take grocery stores from nothing to one (I don't count the Kroger at Valwood and Josey at all). Otherwise, the redevelopment at Josey and Valley View seemed stalled. I did all my commercial and entertainment transactions outside the FB city limits.

And my point was really a broader one. The lawsuits are wasteful of management time and focus. I think the single member districts provide a real opportunity in time, although some of the diehards still haven't given up and there is a lot of resentment piled up.

Last edited by BeanyMalone; 02-20-2013 at 04:20 PM..

Old 02-21-2013, 11:57 AM

67 posts, read 164,277 times
You might try southern Carrollton & Farmer's Branch area. There are some homes there that would fit that description, but I'm not sure what the price range would be. Same with Old Town Lewisville, near Main street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas