U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-21-2013, 07:10 PM
 
Location: Plano, TX
1 posts, read 2,241 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi Eveyone

We have been relocated for work purpose in Plano from Barcelona in Spain about 4 months ago.
After 6 years in the center of Barcelona, here we come Plano Texas!

I won't compare the differences, it is not the point of my post

As said before, now we are set up in Plano in a complex named Lincoln Time square.
We have lease the appartment for 6 months (it seems to be the minimum stay time)

Since the beguinning we were willing to buy a place. Here are my questions:

1) We both work in Plano (closed to legacy and preston) but we have been advised to direct our search to Frisco for a price reason. Is that correct? Is Plano really more expensive than Frisco?
2) How are the bank working here to give your a loan? Anyone with experience knowing how it works in Europe? (such as down paiement, credit history we dont have, conditions, rate,...) I'm still not sure I understand how the APR works here.
3) What budget seems you reasonable for a house with 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, living space, small backyard? What should we expect? I have been told that the prices are really low in Texas.

I think this is all for the moment

Thanks everyone
JP
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-21-2013, 07:14 PM
 
115 posts, read 184,044 times
Reputation: 73
Buy in Plano for better schools and resale. Loan situation depends on your visa status, income, credit history and down payment. Depending on your taste you can find such property for $150,000-600,000.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2013, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Mostly in my head
19,856 posts, read 63,036,675 times
Reputation: 19332
You need to go speak to an officer at your bank. They can tell you what you need to get approved and how much you can borrow.

If you are planning to stay less than 5 years, you should not buy as you will lose money when you sell.
__________________
Moderator for Utah, Salt Lake City, Diabetes, Cancer, Pets forums
//www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-21-2013 at 07:54 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2013, 07:18 PM
 
Location: Collin County,TX
94 posts, read 267,728 times
Reputation: 98
There are many variables to consider. Find a good realtor that can help you with your questions. There are some that frequent this message board or pm me for names.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2013, 08:19 PM
 
Location: DFW - Coppell / Las Colinas
39,588 posts, read 45,046,363 times
Reputation: 50874
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
If you are planning to stay less than 5 years, you should not buy as you will lose money when you sell.
This is probably not accurate as of today. We are seeing a 6-10% inflation rate on homes currently and that is expected to continue for at least the next year.

I went to a developers function today and per their numbers there are about 1500 people per day moving into DFW. That's a huge demand for an already low inventory of homes.

Prices will go up in the next year, interest rates will follow.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2013, 08:22 PM
 
Location: Mostly in my head
19,856 posts, read 63,036,675 times
Reputation: 19332
Oops then.
__________________
Moderator for Utah, Salt Lake City, Diabetes, Cancer, Pets forums
//www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2013, 08:25 PM
 
Location: Funky town
954 posts, read 1,710,080 times
Reputation: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by harzeejp View Post
Hi Eveyone

We have been relocated for work purpose in Plano from Barcelona in Spain about 4 months ago.
After 6 years in the center of Barcelona, here we come Plano Texas!

I won't compare the differences, it is not the point of my post

As said before, now we are set up in Plano in a complex named Lincoln Time square.
We have lease the appartment for 6 months (it seems to be the minimum stay time)

Since the beguinning we were willing to buy a place. Here are my questions:

1) We both work in Plano (closed to legacy and preston) but we have been advised to direct our search to Frisco for a price reason. Is that correct? Is Plano really more expensive than Frisco?
2) How are the bank working here to give your a loan? Anyone with experience knowing how it works in Europe? (such as down paiement, credit history we dont have, conditions, rate,...) I'm still not sure I understand how the APR works here.
3) What budget seems you reasonable for a house with 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, living space, small backyard? What should we expect? I have been told that the prices are really low in Texas.

I think this is all for the moment

Thanks everyone
JP
You most certainly need a realtor just judging by your questions. He/she can help you pre-qualify. Some basic things -
1) Try getting pre-qualified. Moderator cut: not allowed I am assuming pre-qual may be difficult or higher interest rate due to no credit history but give it a try. Also, difference between APR and interest rate are fees. Higher the difference between quoted interest rate and APR, higher the fees.
2) Because this is Texas, 3BR have difficult resale on single family homes. Might I suggest nicer townhomes. There are some new townhomes in Craig ranch just north of Villas of Craig Ranch. The city is Mckinney but the school district is Frisco. It is on Custer Rd, which splits Mckinney and Frisco. You can get a nice townhome around $150-$180k.
3) Is school important? Prices will greatly differ based on that?
4) Look on www.zillow.com . you can even contact a realtor from there. Choose one with good reviews (lots of it).

I am not a realtor nor a solicitor for one.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-22-2013 at 07:17 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2013, 08:39 PM
 
Location: Funky town
954 posts, read 1,710,080 times
Reputation: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
This is probably not accurate as of today. We are seeing a 6-10% inflation rate on homes currently and that is expected to continue for at least the next year.

I went to a developers function today and per their numbers there are about 1500 people per day moving into DFW. That's a huge demand for an already low inventory of homes.

Prices will go up in the next year, interest rates will follow.
That sounds extreme. What is the net migration? Can you quote the source because I remember in a published article sometime back that 477,000 people migrated to TEXAS as a whole between Aug 2011 and Dec 2012. This is why your number looks extreme when considering only DFW.

Also, inflation (in general for CPI) most certainly will go high up in early 2016 if not late 2015 because of all the QE efforts by treasury to boost the economy and trying to keep the fed rate closer to 0% till end of 2013. I am predicting the mortgage interest rates will hover over or closer to 5% by end of 2014.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2013, 08:56 PM
 
228 posts, read 499,783 times
Reputation: 167
It all depends on if and how much loan you can get. I too recommend West Plano for your commute, school, resale & amenities.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Forney Texas
2,110 posts, read 6,151,459 times
Reputation: 1182
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzyrider View Post
2) Because this is Texas, 3BR have difficult resale on single family homes. Might I suggest nicer townhomes. There are some new townhomes in Craig ranch just north of Villas of Craig Ranch. The city is Mckinney but the school district is Frisco. It is on Custer Rd, which splits Mckinney and Frisco. You can get a nice townhome around $150-$180k.


I am not a realtor nor a solicitor for one.

Huh? From what I have learned town homes are the ones that are least desirable and 3BR homes are selling easily.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top