Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2013, 08:28 AM

19,799 posts, read 18,093,261 times

Advertisements

I'm a habitual speeder, stop sign roller and moderately aggressive driver generally. That said in school zones I peg it at 20mph. There is never an excuse to speed through a school zone - excepting the stone cold fact that some are not marked well at all.

1. Winston School on the NW corner of Royal and the Tollway. If you exit the Tollway northbound on to Royal turning left/west over the bridge the Winston school is right there and it is marked as a school zone, however, it is so poorly marked that I'd guess 8 of 10 people on their first time through would miss the sign. Lately I've seen several people busted for speeding through the zone. One day last week three (3) DPD had a string of westbound cars pulled over for speeding through the school zone.

2. Hockaday School at the intersection of Welch and Forest. There is at least one and I think two small neighborhood streets that end at Forest to the north within one of Hockaday's school zones. One of these is not marked as a school zone at all and hasn't been for a good while according to a friend of mine who lives along that street. It is entirely possible to turn east or west on Forest from this street and not realize one is in a school zone - especially early and late in a zone time as traffic is not too bad and the traffic directing officer isn't there. I've noticed ramped up DPD enforcement there are well - DPD pulled over at least one guy yesterday afternoon.

3. Another thing I've noticed is that most of the SZ speeders at Jesuit, UA, Hockaday, St. Mark's etc. are parents hustling there kids to school - I see this every morning along the Welch entrances into Hockaday.

Frankly, speeding in a school zone is really dumb and dangerous don't do it -. That said schools and the city need to get it together and mark some of these zones much better and some of the zones need to be re-thought. The Winston school zone beginning/ending about 1/3mi. west of the school is stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 02:51 PM

812 posts, read 2,184,401 times
I went down either Royal or Walnut Hill west of Central years ago. Went 40 through an active school zone. Why? Because I lived in CoCo where all of the school zones are "lit". In Dallas some aren't. I just got used to seeing flashing lights. Thankfully I didn't get a ticket nor run over a kiddo, but it woke me up to Dallas school zones.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:11 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,547,194 times
So, is THAT why people in the *3 separate* school zones I have to traverse enroute to work go BELOW 20mph?? Dear God, it's all I can do to keep my head from blowing off my shoulders. But sadly, that's the most direct route.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:48 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
The Winston one always throws me off.

Adding-there's another one too, can't think of where, but it's another one of those left turn dealies where you don't realize you're in one.

Last edited by TXNGL; 02-22-2013 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: added

Old 02-23-2013, 08:04 AM

812 posts, read 2,184,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
The Winston one always throws me off.

Adding-there's another one too, can't think of where, but it's another one of those left turn dealies where you don't realize you're in one.
They're every where and yes, you don't realize you're in one until you're passing cars like they are standing still. Right turns too. Aughta be a law about signage when you're turning into a school zone from a side street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: