U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 07:56 AM

98 posts, read 155,698 times

Advertisements

Our family lives in Lake Highlands and will apply to private schools in the fall. I am concerned about the commute from our house to school. What family friendly neighborhoods would be a good fit for a young family in the $500-$700k price range? My wife works at the Crescent and my office may move there as well.

We absolutely love our house and neighborhood, but think that the drive may wear on us. We are also looking at a local school that we love and would solve this issue but are playing the odds in case we don't get in.

Thanks for the help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 08:09 AM

6,952 posts, read 21,650,863 times
Do everything possible to find a school near work or home. Or move to Coppell school district.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:21 AM

14,907 posts, read 13,809,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsb View Post
Our family lives in Lake Highlands and will apply to private schools in the fall. I am concerned about the commute from our house to school. What family friendly neighborhoods would be a good fit for a young family in the $500-$700k price range? My wife works at the Crescent and my office may move there as well.

We absolutely love our house and neighborhood, but think that the drive may wear on us. We are also looking at a local school that we love and would solve this issue but are playing the odds in case we don't get in.

Thanks for the help!
People make little moves like you are talking about all the time. That said IMO the best the way to handle this would be to apply then gain acceptance and make the drive for a while. If you guys hate the then move. The only important but often overlooked factor is interest rates. If you plan on a mortgage rates may well tick up in the coming months/year.

Another option would be to move and apply later the risk, if you want to call it that, is area Dallas public schools if kiddo(s) does not get accepted in a private. This complicates things greatly. Some of the North Dallas E schools are really fine schools. A couple of the middle schools are fine too. HS is the problem. No way I'd send a child to Thomas Jefferson. I'm not sure about Hillcrest but White is doable for kids who can shrug off static.

ETA - Oh yea to your point. You can find homes in that range inside this box that are really close to the north Dallas privates.

Forest and Marsh east to Hillcrest then south to Northwest Highway then west to Marsh and north back to Forest and Marsh. Inside this box you'll find homes in your price range and myriad homes way out of your price range too. There are also some nice homes just outside this box that might work too.

Which school(s) are you thinking? How many kids? Ages? Sex?

Last edited by EDS_; 02-23-2013 at 08:30 AM..

Old 02-23-2013, 08:25 AM

269 posts, read 809,820 times
No need to move to Coppell -- you can have a much better commute to the Crescent from North Dallas than you would from Coppell or Lake Highlands. We live in this area and my husband commutes downtown. We chose this area for the easy commute on the Tollway -- twenty minutes on a typical day, but being five minutes from our kids' schools is a real added bonus as well. Neighborhood traffic is also less congested over on this side of the tollway than it is in New Preston Hollow.

You could definitely find good options of renovated older homes on generously sized lots in your price range in the neighborhood directly behind Hockaday (bounded by Forest/Royal, Midway/Welch); in the neighborhoods around St. Rita (bounded by roughly Forest/Harvest Hill, Midway/Inwood); and in the Northaven Park neighborhood (which includes the Disney streets but includes other streets with larger homes -- bounded by Forest/Royal; Midway/Marsh).

If you like new houses you could find new construction in that price range in Sparkman Club and in the neighborhood directly behind St. Monica -- but lots tend to be smaller in those neighborhoods. All of these neighborhoods have great neighborhood associations and a nice sense of community. The Town North YMCA is a real plus too in terms of building community.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:06 AM

We would definitely wait until we at least had acceptance to a school before we did anything. Especially since one is on our side of town. That said, we both work and shaving 20-30 minutes off of our time in a car may be significant. We have a 3 year old boy and an infant girl. Maybe things will be less stressful and time constrained down the road, but I am sure it will always be something.

We are looking at St. John's, Good Shepherd, ESD, and maybe Lamplighter and St. Monica.

What are your thoughts on Devonshire, the area west of Bluffview proper, Greenway Park, and Briarwood?

Safety is obviously a very high priority as is access to nice parks. I think that our price point would not give us much of a yard.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:36 AM

12,987 posts, read 25,973,251 times
Quote:
We would definitely wait until we at least had acceptance to a school before we did anything. Especially since one is on our side of town. That said, we both work and shaving 20-30 minutes off of our time in a car may be significant. We have a 3 year old boy and an infant girl. Maybe things will be less stressful and time constrained down the road, but I am sure it will always be something.

We are looking at St. John's, Good Shepherd, ESD, and maybe Lamplighter and St. Monica.

What are your thoughts on Devonshire, the area west of Bluffview proper, Greenway Park, and Briarwood?

Safety is obviously a very high priority as is access to nice parks. I think that our price point would not give us much of a yard.
Those are exactly the neifhborboods I was going to recommend- Greenway Parks (may be tough under $700k but you can definitely find homes in that range in Greenway Crest which is north of University & south of Inwood Village), Devonshire, and Bluffview / Briarwood. All have tons of families with the majority of kids either being under the age of 5 or in private schools. Lots of ESD, Hockaday, St Marks, some Catholic private families, etc. Definitely neighborhoods where you always see people out & about- walking, playing, etc. Yards are smaller (50-60 x 130ish) but they are active neighborhoods (similar to the Park Cities) where kids play in the front yards more than the back yards. Greenway Parks has the lovely green belts, too. Very English

The "Preston Hollow" (loosely) area that is between Preston / Hillcrest/ Forrest/ Northwest Hwy also is home to a huge amount of private school families and remodeled ranch homes would fall in the upper end of your price range.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:37 AM

269 posts, read 809,820 times
Life definitely doesn't get less time constrained as the kids get older. You will want to try to centralize house, school and activities even more as your kids get older and spend more time out and about. For Good Shepherd or St. Monica, you would find more of your children's classmates in the neighborhoods I listed. Obviously St. John's would warrant staying in Lake Highlands. ESD and Lamplighter probably draw from a wider geographic area since they are less neighborhood oriented schools than Good Shepherd, St. Monica and St. Johns. All of the neighborhoods you mention in your post are very nice and safe areas and would have a convenient commute, but you might be disappointed by the options available in your price range -- and you are correct that you would probably not get much of a yard. You probably won't find a "forever" house, but could find something that will work while the kids are young and then could move again if need be when the kids are older. The good news is that you don't really have a time constraint and can wait for the right house to come along if you decide to move.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:10 AM

Thanks again for the advice, and I am ready to be somewhat disappointed in what our budget reasonably allows. I forgot to mention that we may look at Greenhill as well. Does that change the neighborhood choices? It is obviously on the other side of 635, but I don't know if it would make more sense to be near the school or further south where just one of us makes the big drive. Addison to the uptown area seems like a bit of a drive. Obviously, finding the right school is more important than the logistics, but I am just trying to think through everything and get a feel for these areas. I am guessing that Greenhill pulls kids from everywhere.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:31 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,442,180 times
Quote:
Our family lives in Lake Highlands and will apply to private schools in the fall.
Are you thinking of sending your kid to private schools in the Fall of 2013 or applying next year for the Fall of 2014? Most of the application processes are underway right now, if not already closed for Fall admissions. I know lots of acceptance letters go out in early March.

Just something to think about.

I can tell you that we live in Lakewood, but DD's school is in North Dallas. The drive STINKS!!!

Old 02-23-2013, 12:00 PM

We would apply for the 2014-2015 year. I know, I am planning early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas