Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2013, 10:57 AM

82 posts, read 238,791 times

Advertisements

Hello, just trying to compare what are costs are going to be......

what are your average utilities...what type heat, what size house, what area, etc.??
water, electric, gas/oil, sewer/septic, etc...

what is your insurance costs? what size house, age, etc...??

what are property taxes? size house, appraisal amount, etc...??

Thank you so much in advance....there is soo much to think about when moving......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 11:23 AM

390 posts, read 715,312 times
Your question is highly variable based on many factors. See this recent related thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...ity-costs.html

Old 02-24-2013, 03:18 PM

82 posts, read 238,791 times
Default any info will help.......

I am just trying to get an idea of different costs...based on different people...size of homes..yr built....area...type of heat...and what temp you set your thermostat at in summer/winter...
insurance costs....taxes....etc....

I seen the other posts....but no one has really answered the question..... I think only one person really stated any costs........and that was for a large home.....

any input with your average costs will help......and of course what the costs are based on...

Thanks so much....

Old 02-24-2013, 03:26 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosgreat View Post
Hello, just trying to compare what are costs are going to be......

what are your average utilities...what type heat, what size house, what area, etc.??
water, electric, gas/oil, sewer/septic, etc...

what is your insurance costs? what size house, age, etc...??

what are property taxes? size house, appraisal amount, etc...??

Thank you so much in advance....there is soo much to think about when moving......
Property tax info is public. Each county has the tax rates & homestead exemptions posted on their websites. They will range from about 2.0-2.7% of your purchase price, but you can calculate a more exact amount using the tax rate info on county websites.

Home insurance - budget approx 1% of purchase price for your annual bill.

Utilities vary widely based on home size / layout (ie, lots of 2-story height rooms & rooms getting a lot of sun exposure will drive your bills up)/ energy efficiency / your own climate preferences.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:09 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosgreat View Post
I am just trying to get an idea of different costs...based on different people...size of homes..yr built....area...type of heat...and what temp you set your thermostat at in summer/winter...
insurance costs....taxes....etc....

I seen the other posts....but no one has really answered the question..... I think only one person really stated any costs........and that was for a large home.....

any input with your average costs will help......and of course what the costs are based on...

Thanks so much....
When you find a home for sale or rent, call the utility companies and give them the address, they can usually tell you the cost.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:05 AM

931 posts, read 2,135,040 times
You can budget 1 to 2 dollars a sq foot for utilities. Does not include cable and telephone.

Insurance runs me 80 cents a sq foot. I really shop though as Texas has a lot of different plans and is deregulated with little supervision.

Property taxes run 2.50 to 2.80 but some jurisdictions offer home owners exemption which can be 20% usually in County and College and Hospital District. Many Schools only offer 10 off and some offer none.

We don't have State Income tax but sales tax runs over 8% in most places.

Texas is lucky and State gets a lot of revenue from Oil and Gas.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:57 AM

477 posts, read 1,051,887 times
I can give you the averages on my smaller home in Richardson. My sq footage is about 1700. Single Story. Built pre-1970.
Water= $65/month
Gas=$60/month
Electric=$45/month

Just 2 of us living there. Gone from 8am-5pm Mon-Fri. Home on weekends. We haven't been using too much water as it's winter, I expect that to go up to about $100/month once Spring/Summer hits. Gas should get lower as temps get warmer and the electric will go up.

We have brand new energy efficient windows. The previous owner re-insulated the entire house during a complete remodel in 2009. Also, the heating system is brand new. The A/C is OLD. We had spray in insulation blown into the attic to top it off since we got a Winter special.

I've been very happy with our bills so far and am quite impressed with the energy efficiency of the old home.

ETA: Our homeowners is $1100 year for very good coverage. Our deductibles are low as well.

I think our property taxes are $3800/yr

Last edited by globe9; 02-25-2013 at 10:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas