Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 12:15 AM

230 posts, read 398,260 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

We are in the process of relocating from NYC/NJ area to either DFW or Indy suburbs (likely Fishers/Westfield). I actually wanted to start thread of something like Plano/Frisco/Allen vs Carmel/Fishers (sp?) etc, but never got around to it. I hope it's not considered heresy on this forum Well, here it is, particularly for those of you who have lived and worked in both. Knowing what you know now....where would you have gone, and would you have done something different? We are moving from Bergen County of Nu Joisy for sure.

Main headquaters of the company I work for are located in dowtown Indy, but there are offices in Austin and Dallas as well. Also, so far Thank God, I have an option of accessing my work from home, and hope it remains so as long as I'm employed here. My wife is getting back into workforce after being a stay at home mom for the past 4 and 1/2 years. So her future employment is very much a major concern to us, at any of these locations. She is in the field of accounting and has also background in computer programming (albeit not most recent one). So in our relocation, great schools and cost of living are priorities (in that order). I've been researching DFW area and to a lesser extent Austin forum. Both are great places to relocate to, IMHO. But Indy (suburbs) have been also on my mind a lot, and I still can't let it go. I can't put my finger on it, but somehow I feel that moving to Indy may not be a wrong choice, even though we've kind on were set on DFW in the past few months. Perhaps I'm not a big fan of a very hot wheather for a better part of the year (I know winters are nice and mild in North TX). Also, we will leave our close family (parents, and our kids grandparents) in Brooklyn, NY once we move. Indy is just a little bit closer as far as air travel is concerned (by 2 hours of flying less to NY).

So, here is my question: If all things were somewhat equal, and you had a choice of DFW suburbs or Indy suburbs which whould you have chosen, and more importantly, why? I know it may be an odd choice for some but it's getting quite clear for us. We will visit both places this May, but I really appreciate some feedback from those of you who have exp in this subject and lived / worked in both areas.

Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 03:06 PM

20 posts, read 117,905 times
Hi
I noticed that there aren't any replies and I guess it is because there aren't a lot of people in this area who have lived in both places. I have lived in the Chicago suburbs and the Dallas suburbs and have traveled to IN suburbs so I guess I am close. All things considered, if you have the option, I would take Austin. You are in for a culture shock if you have never lived in the south. Austin is just a neater place. You may have to find a private school for kids either way if you move to TX. In case you haven't noticed, they are on the bottom of the US in this area.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:31 PM

82 posts, read 144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitabreak View Post
You may have to find a private school for kids either way if you move to TX. In case you haven't noticed, they are on the bottom of the US in this area.

This couldn't be more wrong

Old 02-26-2013, 03:37 PM

53 posts, read 144,529 times
Quote:
Hi
You may have to find a private school for kids either way if you move to TX. In case you haven't noticed, they are on the bottom of the US in this area.
Where'd you get this information from? If anything, so I can use it against eh Plano ISD apologists even though i totally disagree with your statement. lol

Old 02-26-2013, 04:03 PM

350 posts, read 749,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjen View Post
Where'd you get this information from? If anything, so I can use it against eh Plano ISD apologists even though i totally disagree with your statement. lol
Aww, haha..did we do something?

Old 02-26-2013, 04:07 PM

350 posts, read 749,208 times
And the notion that the schools here rank at the bottom is absurd. Highland Park high School is always listed in the top 30-40 high schools in the United States. Plano West was 63rd this year. TAG and SEM are also always at the top fo the list. Sure, we could use more money for schools, but we still get pretty strong results from many area high schools.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:24 PM

57 posts, read 109,443 times
billydoc, you are in luck, i have lived in both indy, and currently live in the DFW metroplex, and I am a huge Colts Fan !!!

Fishers is a great area, good schools, nice people, etc. Indy of course is not a large metropolitan city, winters can get bad there, and fewer employers compared to your larger towns. You mentioned your wife is in the market for a job. Indy is a good ole midwest city, cost of living is reasonable, mostly everything is middle of the line reasonable from schools, transportation, housing, etc.

DFW of course is a top 5 largest metropolitan in the U.S. Recently second in per capita GDP growth behind Houston. Everything here is picking up, housing, economy, etc. You will find more employers in diverse fields compared to Indy. Weather 9 months out of the year is amazing, 3 months of summer can suck really bad. I moved here 2 years ago, and they were breaking records of consecutive 110 degree days. IT SUCKED....but its the price you pay for the remaining time to be calm. Last week a couple days was in the 60s and 70s so you get the good with the bad. Housing is reasonable, cost of living is reasonable, transportation etc all within reasonable thresholds.

Now, a couple items that set the cities apart. Texas has no state income tax, compared to Indy. DFW will prob have higher property tax vs Indy. Sales tax between the cities will be different, DFW is higher. I don't know how your work contracts are setup, but you might have to pay non resident tax to Indiana since your HQ is there, i would talk to a CPA. Personally, i think DFW is a better market to be in, and a better place to live, if i had to do it again i would pick DFW. The suburbs you mentioned are as good if not better than Fishers. Let me know if you have other questions. I lived on the West side of town, a few miles from the speedway, outside of the loop, and in greenwood, but have a lot of friends in Fishers, and Castleton area.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:38 PM

Default Thank You

[quote=amindu;28433988]billydoc, you are in luck, i have lived in both indy, and currently live in the DFW metroplex, and I am a huge Colts Fan !!!

Personally, i think DFW is a better market to be in, and a better place to live, if i had to do it again i would pick DFW. The suburbs you mentioned are as good if not better than Fishers.

Thank You amindu very much. Great post and info. You've basically validated for me the things I've picked up from this and Indy fora. Obviously, there is no substitute for visiting both places and making this decision. Some ppl will say it's no contest for one or the other, depending on their biases . We'll visit both this May. Quite frankly, we've planned on moving to DFW all along, and Indy area came up simply b/c my job's main office is located there. I've never been asked to travel there though, but the more I've read about Indy the more I liked it. Well, reading about it, and living there are two different things, same goes for DFW. I have a feeling that DFW is "it" for us, as we wanted to do for a while now.

Thank You again

Old 02-27-2013, 10:49 PM

Default Thank You

Quote:
Hi
I noticed that there aren't any replies and I guess it is because there aren't a lot of people in this area who have lived in both places. I have lived in the Chicago suburbs and the Dallas suburbs and have traveled to IN suburbs so I guess I am close. All things considered, if you have the option, I would take Austin. You are in for a culture shock if you have never lived in the south. Austin is just a neater place. You may have to find a private school for kids either way if you move to TX. In case you haven't noticed, they are on the bottom of the US in this area.

Thank You for your reply nitabreak,

We'll definitely visit all of these places before jumping in. But I spoke w/ several involved parents on this forum regarding their exp w/ DFW area schools, one in particular is PISD, and their take on was quite the oposite. There are certainly very good schools in the area but it does take some time and effort to make yourself familiar with this area.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:03 AM

20 posts, read 117,905 times
Why Does Texas Rank Last in High School Diplomas? | The Texas Tribune

Actually my kids came home from school and informed me that TX was lowest in a number of areas. This is only one. You can google the different areas yourself, just type in "TX near the bottom in Education"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: