U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 12:35 PM

26 posts, read 77,656 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a house (with backyard and pool ) in West Plano area instead of going with the new builds around Frisco. We are trying to find out, if we have stick to year 2004+ or can we go until 1995 built homes ? Or do we have to reconsider the new builds in Frisco. Have 2 kids (7,4) and schooling will be a priority.

Appreciate your opinions and suggestions. Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 12:48 PM

53 posts, read 137,300 times
what is your apprehension with 1995 built homes? Nothing wrong with it provided you find a floorplan you like.

As far as schooling... 2 schools of thought here: Plano is the best, if your education is priority, get a house in West Plano vs. You can get more house for the money and Frisco ISD isn't garbage (though some will lead you to believe it is vs. WP)

Old 02-27-2013, 12:57 PM

228 posts, read 500,765 times
It depends upon your priorities. There is no such thing as a perfect house, with perfect location and perfect schools for a perfect price. It's all about trade offs.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:14 PM

115 posts, read 184,349 times
I spent many nights thinking about it and finally bought a 1997 house in an upscale Plano neighborhood. My top priorities were commute, school, amenities and a charming house. These may rank below new air conditioner, gray kitchen cabinets or frameless shower for you. Go with what seems more important for your family.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:10 PM

323 posts, read 597,923 times
Plano! Plano! I live here and love my short commute, super convenient life with everything at my doorstep and take pride in our awesome schools. I absolutely recommend it in light of my personal experience. Just last month my friend's home from 80's was sold before it can go on MLS and at asking price. You can't do that in Frisco.

Last edited by Bypass13; 02-27-2013 at 02:24 PM..

Old 02-27-2013, 06:19 PM

24,567 posts, read 38,048,612 times
If you can afford west Plano, go with west Plano.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:53 PM

40 posts, read 48,637 times
What are zip codes for West Plano and other good areas of Plano?

BRN

Old 02-27-2013, 07:58 PM

115 posts, read 184,349 times
West Plano that you hear about is mainly 75093 but 75024 is West Plano as well. Just make sure from PISD School finder's site that home feeds into West schools as some homes feed to Frisco and Lewisville.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:53 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,725,883 times
All of the above statements apply. For us lot size is important..which practically rules out frisco (at least what we have seen on the net). Our first visit to texas will be next month, so it could change.

Everything is leading back to PISD...west or senior as they seem close with schools. Agreed with the above on the track record. However there is another school of thought if high schools is many years away, the surrounding towns ,with its educated workforce will bolster the school and in 10+ years could rival the planos, flower mounds, highland parks and southlakes. I dont know, I havent seen TX and I havent lived there to give a qualified answer. But there is that school of thought.

These are the things I have learned thru my 3 + months of gathering information on City-data

1. You cant get it all unless you have a very large budget...which changes everything!

2. You either like new or (like new)..or you like like more established homes and communities

3. Lot size...depends on where you are coming from. The NY suburbs are usually 1/2 acre lots and mostly 1+ acre (mine is 1.25)..Now I want a smaller lot..but to me small is 1/2 acre..and I think if I am lucky I will get 1/4. I dont know..more research is required to find.

4. So many different schools of thought on schools. TAKS scores, US news and world report, business week. Most (but not all schools) are silver medal schools (with the usual suspects (WP included to be gold medal))

Top Texas High Schools | Best High Schools | US News

Take from this what you will, I dont think personally if you go to "only" a silver school instead of gold you are not going to be an educated, productive, functioning member of society...however...the stats are the stats. Only you know what is right for your family...I certainly dont think you are horrificly sacrificing your childrens education if you go with a silver...but again....you cannot beat the stats that stare at you in the face.

5. The greenery....certain areas from what I have read have more mature trees and greenspace...some like it, some like it new to watch the trees grow.

6. Development/subdivision size. Do you want an established subdivision, or a newer one..where there are going to be phases built out for years to come? I have learned that its better to buy either in the first phase to get good pricing, or the last phase so you dont compete with the new builds. Do you want a 4000 home master planned community, or do you prefer 800 homes or less. I learned that you should make sure that the ammenites that are projected for the development, given the amount of homes being built..should be able to handle the capacity.

7. Where do you work, how much of a commute are able to do comfortably, including tolls and gas.
8. How long do you want to live there...if this is the "I aint moving house"..then I would go with Plano (personally)..but if its the "I dont know..who knows what will happen or where we will be, then maybe frisco because lots of young families (from what I have read) live there and the elementry and middle schools are good.

These threads have been very very valuable and all have been helpful for me personally. Our choices have been narrowed down to as follows.

1. Plano ISD (West, then senior, then the northern part of East)
2. Allen
3. Coppell/Flower Mound.

We are across the board because my oldest wants to do the IB program..and Plano East offers it, but we would rather live in west/sr. (suggestion by a fellow city-data member) in case it doesnt pan out and she has two awesome high schools to fall back on.

Allen/Coppell both offer IB and Flower Mound because my friend who lives and teaches in the area said you get more space and greenery and we should include it in our search.

Good luck and I feel your pain!!!!

Last edited by mom2gurls; 02-28-2013 at 12:07 AM..

Old 02-28-2013, 07:07 AM

26 posts, read 77,656 times
Thank you all for the inputs...
Its been just a few months since we moved to Plano. I was recently told to wait till Apri-June if I am looking for a built house as more houses will come in to market as the school year closes. How true is this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas