Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 09:05 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PISDstudent View Post
And it gets even more stark when you look at national merit numbers. Frisco Centennial, ostensibly the best school in the district, had a whopping one semifinalist. Compare that to 48 that we had at Plano West, or the 46 over at Flower Mound. I'll note that NMSF recognized about the top .6-.7% of Texas seniors, so by this metric, Frisco is well below average.
That was another metric that came to mind. IIRC, Flower Mound topped all area schools in percentage of students that were NMSF, and (also IIRC) they have a program that emphasizes that.

Another item would be that "1,000 best high schools" list that I believe US News puts out (the one that had TAG and SEM right at or near the top). I'm not as sold on their methodology as I believe it overweights the AP tests, but regardless, it's another way of slicing the data, and one can compare the rankings of Carroll/Plano/Colleyville/wherever schools with the Frisco schools, and it'll tell the same story.

Hell, I know Richardson doesn't really meet the OP's wish list, but IMHO it does a better job than Frisco, and Pearce is a better HS than anything Frisco can put up, and by a good margin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 12:41 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,325 times
More on high schools, that "top 1000" list, here are the Texas schools:

Search Texas High Schools | US News

Among non-magnet non-charter publics:

HPHS (HPISD) was #92 nationally
Plano West was #326
Coppell was #332
Colleyville Heritage was #417
Creekview (Carrollton ISD!) was #445
Grapevine was #529
Carroll Senior was #542
Pearce (again, props to Richardson ISD) was #551
Plano Senior was #558
Prosper HS was #564 (Prosper ISD does appear to be moving up on these types of rankings)
McKinney North was #642
WT White (!!!) was #657 (first non-magnet DISD school. I haven't mentioned it but all the DISD magnets rank extremely well under the US News methodology, with TAG and SEM leading the way at #'s 1 and 3)
Richardson HS at #711 (again, mad props to the chronically underappreciated RISD)

I'll also note that Marcus and Flower Mound are at #'s 836 and 885 nationally, behind Keller HS and Irving ISD's Jack E Singley. The top Frisco ISD school is Liberty, clocking in at #903, followed by Centennial at 986.

Again, I'll note that I'm not really a fan of the US News methodology, but it is another way of looking at the data and my opinion of it does not make it inaccurate. WT White, for example, has low standardized test metrics relative to all other schools...but has a student body that is about 2/3 economically disadvantaged, yet still has over 75% of their students take the SAT and puts up scores that are among the best of the non-magnet DISD schools. My understanding is that they've implemented many other innovative ideas in their curriculum. GCISD comes off better under US News than they do from looking just at SATs, while Flower Mound and Marcus look worse. Make of that what you will. Point remains that they all remain well above Frisco ISD.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:23 AM

63 posts, read 76,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Since you asked... That 1st home is a Grand home that has been in the MLS for 389 days. I personally would not purchase a Grand home.
What's wrong with Grand Homes? I have been to Grand homes and they seem like a good package for the money. Whole subdivision is sold out in this case and this is the only new or existing home available there. I'm skeptical about power lines in the back yard but are there other red flags?

Golf course home seems overpriced yet appealing so hoping to visit that.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:30 AM

473 posts, read 1,199,714 times
If you are working in Irving and a frequent traveler, in addition to Coppell, consider Flower Mound as well.
I personally rate FM schools better than Coppell & Southlake. Its hard to get a dream house closer to a highway. In peak time, your commute time depends on how long it takes you to reach the highway from internal roads. Lots of folks don't want to live near a highway for noise and pollution concerns. Coppell has the advantage of location with excellent schools but the house inventory/age is poor along with high property taxes. Both are neighboring towns and in peak time,for folks going to Irving/ downtown..etc it takes 10-15 minutes more each way for someone living in FM over Coppell.

If you are making a long term decision, 2499 funding to connect to 121 has been approved by TXDOT and the project is slated to start this summer lasting approx. 24 months.

Flower Mound, TX - Official Website

Old 03-03-2013, 09:31 AM

63 posts, read 76,498 times
I am sure that Flower Mound is a lovely place but not appealing to us. Irving is not my only concern, airports and private schools should be accessible as well. I don't see my husband working in Irving for ever so must stay central and must have quick access to highways. We are not chasing the newest dream house, just a nice home with a good location and good public schools. We have no problem with HP,Coppell,Plano's older homes. HP and Plano have lower property taxes and still offer a lot of services, facilities and good schooling to their residents.

Last edited by Tripolar; 03-03-2013 at 10:55 AM..

Old 03-03-2013, 10:03 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,746,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripolar View Post
What's wrong with Grand Homes? I have been to Grand homes and they seem like a good package for the money. Whole subdivision is sold out in this case and this is the only new or existing home available there. I'm skeptical about power lines in the back yard but are there other red flags?

Golf course home seems overpriced yet appealing so hoping to visit that.
Do a search on here and you will find a ton of info/opinions on Grand.

Personally I find them to be all about the pretty niches with shoddy construction.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:42 PM

87 posts, read 135,477 times
I haven't heard complaints from Grand home owners but there are threads and threads of complaints about them. DFW builders loved equally by home owners, inspectors, realtors and forum posters for years are Drees, Goodman, Southerby, Highland and Huntington.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:43 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,557,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulching View Post
DFW builders loved equally by home owners, inspectors, realtors and forum posters for years are Drees, Goodman, Southerby, Highland and Huntington.
I would add Darling to that list.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:50 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,175,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulching View Post
I haven't heard complaints from Grand home owners but there are threads and threads of complaints about them. DFW builders loved equally by home owners, inspectors, realtors and forum posters for years are Drees, Goodman, Southerby, Highland and Huntington.
Sotherby has been out of business for a few years. Just something to keep in mind if buying a home built by them because I don't know who you can contact for warranty issues.

Also I think Goodman is now Khov?

Old 03-05-2013, 10:01 AM

3,835 posts, read 4,442,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
More on high schools, that "top 1000" list, here are the Texas schools:

Search Texas High Schools | US News

Among non-magnet non-charter publics:

HPHS (HPISD) was #92 nationally
Plano West was #326
Coppell was #332
Colleyville Heritage was #417
Creekview (Carrollton ISD!) was #445
Grapevine was #529
Carroll Senior was #542
Pearce (again, props to Richardson ISD) was #551
Plano Senior was #558
Prosper HS was #564 (Prosper ISD does appear to be moving up on these types of rankings)
McKinney North was #642
WT White (!!!) was #657 (first non-magnet DISD school. I haven't mentioned it but all the DISD magnets rank extremely well under the US News methodology, with TAG and SEM leading the way at #'s 1 and 3)
Richardson HS at #711 (again, mad props to the chronically underappreciated RISD)

I'll also note that Marcus and Flower Mound are at #'s 836 and 885 nationally, behind Keller HS and Irving ISD's Jack E Singley. The top Frisco ISD school is Liberty, clocking in at #903, followed by Centennial at 986.

Again, I'll note that I'm not really a fan of the US News methodology, but it is another way of looking at the data and my opinion of it does not make it inaccurate. WT White, for example, has low standardized test metrics relative to all other schools...but has a student body that is about 2/3 economically disadvantaged, yet still has over 75% of their students take the SAT and puts up scores that are among the best of the non-magnet DISD schools. My understanding is that they've implemented many other innovative ideas in their curriculum. GCISD comes off better under US News than they do from looking just at SATs, while Flower Mound and Marcus look worse. Make of that what you will. Point remains that they all remain well above Frisco ISD.
I'm normally with you on this sort of issue but I have to question the credibility of any list that has Creekview ranked higher than Plano Senior and Carroll...no way jose. On what criteria???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas