Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 10:14 PM

67 posts, read 171,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
Have you tried going to any events through meetup.com? You can find people in your area who share your interests -- whether it's sports, music, speaking a foreign language, going to ethnic restaurants, etc., and whoever's in charge of that particular group puts together events for members. It's a good non-date, non-work environment way to meet people.

Find Meetup groups near you - Meetup -- and then filter for Dallas.
I have to join TrueDat in my enthusiastic support for Meetup, it's a great way to meet people. The great thing is that the people in the group are self-selecting for being outgoing and friendly, and they have at least one interest in common with you. I met some nice friends -- both men and women -- in the Meetups here in Reno, and intend to do the same when I move to Dallas.

There are Meetups for every conceivable interest, and if there isn't one, you can start your own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 12:29 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,130,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilarDLS View Post
I have to join TrueDat in my enthusiastic support for Meetup, it's a great way to meet people. The great thing is that the people in the group are self-selecting for being outgoing and friendly, and they have at least one interest in common with you. I met some nice friends -- both men and women -- in the Meetups here in Reno, and intend to do the same when I move to Dallas.

There are Meetups for every conceivable interest, and if there isn't one, you can start your own.
I must be doing it wrong because most of what I see there is dating groups (meat markets), pyramid schemes, and stuff for stay at home moms or Christians.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:09 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,544,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I must be doing it wrong because most of what I see there is dating groups (meat markets), pyramid schemes, and stuff for stay at home moms or Christians.
Yea, there is definitely a lot of that, but you can pretty much weed all that out by a thorough reading of their "About Us" page. I learned to look for certain buzz words that imply things I am not interested in, even if it's not stated outright. Also, look through their calendar and see what kind of events they do, even look at the other members attending events and see what other groups they belong to...sometimes that gives another clue as to what the group is truly about. Personally I like meetup groups that are small or just starting...it can be hard to break in to an established, or if the group is too large it seems you never see the same people. I agree it's a lot of trial and error...for every group you love, there could be 10 you don't. But the nice thing about meetup...you can just up and leave a group at any time, no questions asked, if it's not for you.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoGirl View Post
Yea, there is definitely a lot of that, but you can pretty much weed all that out by a thorough reading of their "About Us" page. I learned to look for certain buzz words that imply things I am not interested in, even if it's not stated outright. Also, look through their calendar and see what kind of events they do, even look at the other members attending events and see what other groups they belong to...sometimes that gives another clue as to what the group is truly about. Personally I like meetup groups that are small or just starting...it can be hard to break in to an established, or if the group is too large it seems you never see the same people. I agree it's a lot of trial and error...for every group you love, there could be 10 you don't. But the nice thing about meetup...you can just up and leave a group at any time, no questions asked, if it's not for you.
It's just so much WORK. I wish meetup would let me 'hide' certain groups or even entire categories. Their website sucks.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:42 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,544,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
It's just so much WORK.
Agreed. But I have found as I get older, establishing new friendships IS a lot of work...at least much more work than it was in my 20s. Not exactly sure why that is. I guess the time factor...the older you are, the more responsibilities it seems you have, and the more your time is divided among those responsibilities. There's not as much time to just "hang" and get to know people like you used to, where friendships could just form a bit more naturally. So if you take a proactive approach to friend-making, like meetup, then yes, it's a lot of work, trial and error, ups and downs, etc. But honestly my preferred route is still just to get involved in something you love, not with the intention to meet people, but because it is something you enjoy doing, want to learn more about, etc...and if a friendship or two come out of it, well that's just gravy

Old 03-11-2013, 10:29 AM

29 posts, read 45,637 times
Do you like to work out? I go to a bootcamp three nights a week/saturday mornings called camp gladiator. You build a lot of camaraderie with other campers, and they are always doing pot lucks and/or happy hours.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoGirl View Post
Agreed. But I have found as I get older, establishing new friendships IS a lot of work...at least much more work than it was in my 20s. Not exactly sure why that is. I guess the time factor...the older you are, the more responsibilities it seems you have, and the more your time is divided among those responsibilities. There's not as much time to just "hang" and get to know people like you used to, where friendships could just form a bit more naturally. So if you take a proactive approach to friend-making, like meetup, then yes, it's a lot of work, trial and error, ups and downs, etc. But honestly my preferred route is still just to get involved in something you love, not with the intention to meet people, but because it is something you enjoy doing, want to learn more about, etc...and if a friendship or two come out of it, well that's just gravy
I've tried and tried and tried for six years, never made any lasting close friendships. Only superficial ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly5552 View Post
Do you like to work out? I go to a bootcamp three nights a week/saturday mornings called camp gladiator. You build a lot of camaraderie with other campers, and they are always doing pot lucks and/or happy hours.
I've had a gym membership consistently since 2008; I'm on my third gym and have never made a single friend at the gym. I barely even talk to people at the gym; like me, everyone there is focused on getting their workout done and getting out. No time for chatting.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:40 PM

29 posts, read 45,637 times
Right-thats why bootcamp is better than a gym for meeting people. You are basically forced to! Lots of partner and group work and such. And there is something about being a your lowest, sweatiest moment that can bond you with perfect strangers. Gyms are just full of hamsters on wheels that don't speak to eachother....

Old 03-11-2013, 01:07 PM

645 posts, read 830,637 times
For me Gym is not the place to make friends. Most of the people i see there are busy pumping iron and don't talk to each other. I am a regular in the bar scene, so have met many new interesting people and sometimes i just go there and drink and time flies by. When i first came here, i did not have too many i knew. Now i know a lot of them. Works for me.

Still i wouldn't say, that i do not have too many friends. But that will happen with time, i hope.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly5552 View Post
Right-thats why bootcamp is better than a gym for meeting people. You are basically forced to! Lots of partner and group work and such. And there is something about being a your lowest, sweatiest moment that can bond you with perfect strangers. Gyms are just full of hamsters on wheels that don't speak to eachother....
I'm not really a boot camp kind of person though; I don't do well working out at 5 in the morning, especially when it's cold outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas